• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alan Bate's 'Round the World Record'

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
The Bangkok Post has reported on a British rider's 'round the world record' stating that he sliced 81 days (I think) from Mark Beaumont's record. In other words he did 29500km (another report said 23500) in 113 days. Alan Bates, who lives in Chiang Rai, has previously claimed to be an 'ex-professional' rider. He has recently claimed as part of his publicity for this 'record' that he has ridden for the British Team. First of all there is no record that an Alan Bates has held a British professional licence and Liverpool riders have never heard of him. The archivist at British Cycling also has no record of an Alan Bates ever appearing in a British jersey. This all begs the question .... why has Alan made these stories up and did he really ride around the world? I ask the second part of the question because having seen his photograph he does not look like a rider who has suffered 250km (circa) a day for 113 days on a bicycle. He would look gaunt without a hint of his stomach hanging over his shorts. So if anyone knows Alan can they get him to verify all of his claims? I would hate this record to be unfairly taken away from Mark Beaumont who did a magnificent ride.

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
his site makes it look legit, but it does seem to skip a far chunk from Italy to India (for obvious reasons i suppose).
http://www.worldcyclingrecord.com/

He claims to be backed by the Thai royal family, something you wouldn't joke about if you lived there so I'm guessing he did do the ride.To me it seems to suffer the same dilemma as yachting does with round the world journeys, that is you have cross the Antipodes to be recognised. This may explain why he hasn't taken the more direct route from Spain to Italy?

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
If someone really cared enough, they would either out him or prove it real based on evidence from sources from first hand or the internet.

I don't have the energy or care.

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Just got the pm posted below, pretty self explanatory.

bateal

Hi from Alan Bate
Hi,

A friend told me of the post. I didn't do the interview and hadn't seen it! I never rode for GB and never said I did! I did create, own and manage the National Travelwise professional team from 1998 to 2002. I also took part in numerous mtb and public exhibition events for the team.

I have ridden as a sponsored rider here since 2006, hence the British professional rider tag. I was fifth in the National 24 hour championships in 1991 and rode the Tour of Girvan for the Scottish composite team that year(nearest to National selection for me!).

In Thailand I have ridden for the King four times, including the round the world ride. My event was endorsed by the Kings foundation and I have previously raised 20,000 GBP for the foundation.

I have replied in more detail to the initial post, I don't seem to be able to post on the forum.

Please feel free to email me with any questions at: bateal@hotmail.com

Yours in Sport,

alan

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit suss about the original post from 'erensto1' just joined and the first and only post is almost a troll post sledging Alan's effort? I say well done Alan, great effort!

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
The reason is that I have never had a need to post here although I have lurked. When I read both The Nation and the Bangkok Post's interview with Alan in which he said he had been a member of the British Team then I thought this was a bit naughty. I checked my records and those of British Cycling and neither revealed any further information. Some months ago an email from Alan said that he, quote "was a former professional". I checked this and found it not to be true. At the moment I am trying to find a direct quote about this and I am also checking via Liverpool contacts (people at the heart of the sport) about his latest claim.
Both the Post and Nation put in the same quote and I doubt very much if two independent reporters would make up the same quote for their newspapers.
The Nation then carried a picture of Alan. Hold on a minute, I thought. Here is a guy who has just completed the most gruelling of rides, but his face is not drawn, he looks like his stomach is slightly hanging over his shorts - to me he does not like someone who has gone through that type of exertion.
So I am sorry guys, I have just raised the question because I have suspicions that someone involved in the sport that I love looks to be telling porkies.
And his answer in the attached email does not look straightforward ..... so are all of these porkies or is the guy honest and genuine? I only ask the question for the reasons stated in an earlier post and because I like truth guys, not fantasy.
Incidentally, the Bangkok Post, Thai MTB and many places on the net reported Alan as having been an "former member of the British Team" as long ago as March. If Alan never made this claim why did he not try to correct it (simply by posting himself) and why did the same false claim reoccur?

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Just to add that if I am wrong in my assumptions then Apologies to Alan. The conclusions I have come to are realistic based on the available evidence. Alan riding for the New Brighton CC did come 5th in the national 24 (1991) (although on his website he says he came 4th) and thus he established his long distance credentials.
But there needs to be an answer to some of these claims that hold up.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
This is part of an email from a company I believe to be his PR people. Here it clearly states that Alan is a 'British professional cyclist'. A professional is one with a proper pro licence issued by the sports' governing body and recognised by the UCI. Alan, as I stated, has never held a professional licence. If by professional he means that he makes a living from cycling, then that is a different matter. I am not being pedantic, but he should be open and not allow any self-representation to mislead others especially as he is now in the public eye.
Ernie

> From: imapdotcc@imap.cc
> To: bateal@hotmail.com
> Subject: Record Ride Kings Birthday 5 December 2009 Launch Photographs attached
> Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 15:04:37 +0700
>
> On 5th of December, Liverpool born, British professional cyclist and Asian cycling record breaker, Mr Alan Bate took yet
> another record to celebate the 82nd birthday of The King of Thailand.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I have heard from Alan and he guy is passionate about cycling. He is a bit naive about the media and how you portray yourself publicly. I am sorry if I have caused any offence but the questions I asked needed to be raised. Best of luck to you Alan.

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I have just registered for this forum, having read the above posts about Alan, and wanted to say some good things about him in his defence.

I raced and trained with him in the 80's and 90's when he rode in VC Halton and subsequently New Brighton CC colours.

Despite when Ernesto says above, I can vouch for the fact that EVERYONE who was ANYONE on the Merseyside racing scene in that period would have known Alan - he is a great guy, a lover of bikes (so much so he went on to own a pretty ambitious bike shop in the Centre of Liverpool, co-owned with one of the stars of Brookside, no less) and above all he is a great character.

Everything I read about him now; his move to Thailand, opening a bike museum, his audacious attempt at the world record...does not surprise me. Nor does it surprise me that he has succesfully achieved the record......when he got that placing in the National 24 he wasn't far off a medal and he did it on a diet of crits and short road races...we were all gobsmacked!!

I would like to send my congratulations and best wishes to Alan - well done mate!

Mike Dean
Manchester Wheelers

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
World Cycling Record

deanmj said:
... Nor does it surprise me that he has succesfully achieved the record......

I think you will find that Vin Cox http://www.greatbikeride.com is in fact the official record holder confirmed by Guinness. 163d 6hr 58min for 18225.7mi. 31 days faster than the old record previously help by Mark Beaumont. This is a fantastic achievement, especially as an unsupported rider.

So far I am not aware that Alan's attempt has been recognised by Guinness for whatever reason. I would imagine he has submitted a claim. I can only imagine at this time that it does not meet all of the required criteria or something who knows. I just think it is important that Vin is fully recognised as the current record holder until such time that his record is officially broken.

Incidentally both Julian Sayarer and James Bowthorpe who took longer than Vin Cox were also never recognised by Guinness as record holders.

All good stuff though, I know I couldn't do it. I take my hat off to them all really. I might just about reach France and then stop at the first quiet bar and settle in.

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I thought I'd join the forum so I could write a post to give Alan some more support. I cycled with Alan for 2 days in France. He is a great guy, an excellent sportsman - and a phenomenal bike rider!

To answer the point raised about bodyweight, you have to remember that when doing exactly the same training day in day out, the body adapts - less effort is required (per unit of distance) and less pain endured (less recovery needed) - both of which lead to less calories being burned. When you're keeping the body topped up with energy all day it's easy to over-step the mark - essential you might say when going for a world record! Furthermore, I've done plenty of long days back to back (100-160 miles) and there is very little opportunity to eat the right foods at the right time. To increase the distance to 250k/day makes getting your hands on good quality food extremely difficult - time is just so tight! If you're lucky you'll finish the day somewhere urban and find somewhere to gauge - and we all know sleeping on a full stomach's not a good idea.

If you'd seen Alan's equipment set-up you wouldn't have believed your eyes - this is a man who not only suffered 250km/day but also suffered all of the hardships involved in keeping equipment down to a level just as astonishing as the record itself.

It's worth remembering that some of the Thai reports may be written by journalists whose English is inferior to ours, as is their understanding of the British cycling rules and regulations. Alan did this ride to honour the King, not to make news headlines.

TRENDING THREADS