• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1415 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Fleur, you know what i'm gonna ask. What's your judgment? This should be enough for you to judge. Tour in the bag?

Cjj_5VMXAAEEwHX.jpg:large

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
peloton said:
A pic today from the training camp. Wonder why the kinesio tape, hope he didn't crash etc.
124u9g4.png
Actually it's a photo from February, I asked the person who took the photo and he was in Tenerife at the start of February :)
I saw the tape too, so I was glad to hear it was months ago and not recent!! :eek:

Thanks!
Too funny, I saw it was claimed that it was from the current camp, go figure

Phew with the tape then too! :)

Re: Re:

damian13ster said:
BlurryVII said:
damian13ster said:
BlurryVII said:
Contador, winner of 9 GTs, doesn't know how to assess his own abilities on a bike too, damn I forgot about that as well.

Nope, we said luck has nothing to do with that.

Yeah, he felt great in 2014, previous winner already crashed out, the season was going well, Nibali didn't show much before Tour, of course that made Contador feel confident. And confidence can very easily lead to mistakes,

Thank you for the insight of Contador's mind during 2014, all of that really built up to the crash moment.

Now, explain us why didn't his "over confidence" make him take "poor decisions" that led him to crash, let's say in 2009 for example?

He didn't make the poor decision in 2009 so he won there. He made a poor decision in 2014 and lost. What are you getting at?
Are you trying to argue that just because someone didn't make a mistake once, he will never make a mistake (or consequently if he made a mistake then he will always make a mistake)?
Or are you trying to somehow prove that Contador has qualities needed to win a GT? There is no need for that, everyone here knows that.
He just didn't display all of them in 2014 so he didn't win, and neither did Kruijswijk in this Giro. Nibali did, so he won both races
you got over your skis when you started imputing hubris to Contador (that his over confidence caused his crash). that's just an unknowable and inflammatory thing to say that doesn't bolster your point. 2014 was a tough year. he was clearly on great form and it was all for not. Nibali won because he stayed on his bike until Paris. ah but I'm sure you knew that ;)

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
In an interview yesterday, he said that although he won't fully discard the possibility, it is becoming more and more unlikely he'll ride for his own team next year.
So I wonder who he'll ride for, I don't see an obvious fit.

Darn, I was really hoping for his own team.

Next team will be a dilemma. It sure would be nice if it was one with really good support riders though.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Everyone wants him. To give an analogy. The moment Lebron James went back to the Cavs the team didn't only became way way better but also became one of the most popular teams in the public eye.

The same thing will happen with Contador. You're gonna get so many fans to that team. In terms of publicity, the value is insane of having him on your team.