• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1418 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So, what will the TDF team look like?

Contador, Sagan, Kreuziger, Majka are sure.
Valgren and Bennati should be in too.
This leaves three spots for: Trofimov, Kiserlovski, Hansen, Paulinho, Bodnar (and Tossato if Contador really wants him...). Hansen and Paulinho have been in Tenerife this week, but I guess they should put at least one of Trofimov/Kiserlovkski in - preferably both...

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I think that only the 4 are sure. Bena will be here for sure if he has recovered from his crash. For the others, depends on Dauphine and TdS (Toso will most likely be there)

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
A Danish cycling enthusiast and blogger posted some very interesting (and impressive!) statistics on Contador (I haven't double checked, so I don't know if they're true):

In the last 10 seasons, Contador has participated in 56 stage races on highest level (I assume that means WT-races but don't know). He has won 24 of those and top 5'ed an additional 24 :eek:
That's very impressive indeed :) :)
Edit: I think, since 2009, he's only finished outside the top-5 once in a WT stage race: 2013 Dauphiné.

Re:

Red Rick said:
No way its WT only. He hasn't started 56 WT stage races in the last 10 years. No way.

Victories in WT stage races
9GTs (not starting the debate, just assuming those years are included, mmkay)
2x PN
1x TA
1x VC
4x PV

Adds up to 17
I guess it's 2.1 and higher.

Wins in 2.1 and up since 2007
9 GTs
4 Paisco
2 PN
1 TA
1 Catalunya
3 Castilla y Leon
2 Algarve
1 Murcia
1 Route du Sud
That's 24
And in his entire career, it's 25, if we include Setmana Catalana

2.1 and higher makes sense, though the "highest level" is probably a bit misleading then.

Edit: I decided to take a look at his results in WT-races since 2007.

His stats are:

1st place: 52%
2nd place: 10%
3rd place: 7%
4th-5th place: 17%
6th-10th place: 7%
11th+: 3%
DNF: 3%

Top 10 or better: 93%
Top 5 or better: 86%
Podium or better: 69%

For fun, I tried to compare his results with those of Nibali (he's the easiest to compare with as he's ridden quite a few seasons as opposed to Froome for instance). Contador has done 29 WT races in the last 10 years, Nibali has done 25 since 2010. Nibali's statistics in those races:

1st: 24%
2nd: 8%
3rd: 8%
4th-5th: 12%
6th-10th: 20%
11th+: 24%
DNF: 4%

Top 10 or better: 72%
Top 5 or better: 52%
Podium or better: 40%

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

bajbar said:

This leaves three spots for: Trofimov, Kiserlovski, Hansen, Paulinho, Bodnar (and Tossato if Contador really wants him...). Hansen and Paulinho have been in Tenerife this week, but I guess they should put at least one of Trofimov/Kiserlovkski in - preferably both...

not sure about Majka. If he is in TDF, then he won't be at the Vuelta. I hope Kreuziger has his 2013 form, so they don't need Majka and save him for Vuelta. Kiserlovski hasn't been that impressive. Bodnar is workhorse for TT. I wonder who'd the team captain, now that Mic isn't there anymore? maybe Tossato? or Paulinho? Hansen?

Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
bajbar said:

not sure about Majka. If he is in TDF, then he won't be at the Vuelta. I hope Kreuziger has his 2013 form, so they don't need Majka and save him for Vuelta. Kiserlovski hasn't been that impressive. Bodnar is workhorse for TT. I wonder who'd the team captain, now that Mic isn't there anymore? maybe Tossato? or Paulinho? Hansen?

Majka was always planned to go to the Tour. Without him the team would be super weak. Especially since Majka has been very good in the second GT for the last two years.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
2.1 and higher makes sense, though the "highest level" is probably a bit misleading then.

His stats are:

For fun, I tried to compare his results with those of Nibali (he's the easiest to compare with as he's ridden quite a few seasons as opposed to Froome for instance). Contador has done 29 WT races in the last 10 years, Nibali has done 25 since 2010. Nibali's statistics in those races:

Really interesting, thanks! :)

LaFlorecita said:
Hugo Koblet said:

His stats are:

It would be very interesting to compare Contador with the likes of Merckx and Hinault, but I don't know where to find statistics of these riders.

Re:

bajbar said:

Contador
Sagan
Kreuziger
Majka
Hansen
Valgren
Bennati (if he's recovered)
Paulinho
Tosatto
Is my guess. Which means they won't use Trofimov, who they signed just to be a super domestique for Alberto, and Kiserlovski will be sidelined for the 2nd season in a row - he was also signed as a super domestique :eek:
I'd rather not see Paulinho in the team, but I guess he'll be there as Alberto's roommate/lap dog.

LaFlorecita said:
bajbar said:

Contador
Sagan
Kreuziger
Majka
Hansen
Valgren
Paulinho
Tosatto
Is my guess. Which means they won't use Trofimov, who they signed just to be a super domestique for Alberto, and Kiserlovski will be sidelined for the 2nd season in a row - he was also signed as a super domestique :eek:
I'd rather not see Paulinho in the team, but I guess he'll be there as Alberto's roommate/lap dog.

I thought Hernandez was Contadors roommate and present at every GT?

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
bajbar said:

Contador
Sagan
Kreuziger
Majka
Hansen
Valgren
Paulinho
Tosatto
Tossatto will not go to le tour. I think trufimov will grab the last spot

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site

Hugo Koblet said:
LaFlorecita said:
Hugo Koblet said:

His stats are:

It would be very interesting to compare Contador with the likes of Merckx and Hinault, but I don't know where to find statistics of these riders.

There is some crazy number that Merckx won close to a 1/3 of the races he entered

Jelantik said:
bajbar said:

I wouldn't give Majka sole leadership of any more GTs.

LaFlorecita said:
bajbar said:

Contador
Sagan
Kreuziger
Majka
Hansen
Valgren
Paulinho
Tosatto

I hope Paulinho and Tosatto stay at home. Trofimov and Kiserlovski deserve a shot.

Publicus said:
LaFlorecita said:
bajbar said:

Contador
Sagan
Kreuziger
Majka
Hansen
Valgren
Paulinho
Tosatto

I hope Paulinho and Tosatto stay at home. Trofimov and Kiserlovski deserve a shot.

Trofimov has done absolutely nothing to deserve a spot, though.

LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:
Tossatto should go, but Paulinho is useless. I'd rather have Kiserslovski over him.
Kiserlovski hasn't shown much either. I guess Oleg will want a Russian on the team so that would be Trofimov.
I'm rather sure Paulinho will be part of the team, unless Alberto's decides he might as well sleep alone.

True, he hasn't show much, but he's way younger, thus able to achieve good form to help Contador in the mountains faster than Paulinho.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
ILovecycling said:
Look at the bright side, they are all better than Noval ;)
Remember when Noval crashed and fell on top of Nicki Sörensen - poor Nicki hasn't been the same since :(
He wanted to eliminate opposition :D

Seriously,I would choose riders after Dauphine because if AC has great form,he will need only few climbers and lot of roulers,if he is bad (below Froome and Quintana) he will need climbers for epic attacks ;)