• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 147 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
sacrifice&hardwork said:
It appears that Contador will only ride the 2013 Florence WC, if he rides the Vuelta. If not, he will wait till the 2014 Ponferrada WC. Hasn't the latter one been determined as not being too challenging for a rider like him? Meaning, it's not as difficult as expected for him to have a change of winning it in 2014? Which of the two is a better option for him? Just curious :)

Ponferrada tt course is 30 km flat, then a 8 km mountain, the rr course isn't that challenging, not high mountain stuff. I think next year's RR course is better for him because it's harder.

Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador
Today I played padel in the morning... Definitely cycling is my task :)

klp8gpqj:iphone

sacrifice&hardwork said:
It appears that Contador will only ride the 2013 Florence WC, if he rides the Vuelta. If not, he will wait till the 2014 Ponferrada WC. Hasn't the latter one been determined as not being too challenging for a rider like him? Meaning, it's not as difficult as expected for him to have a change of winning it in 2014? Which of the two is a better option for him? Just curious :)

There's no way Contador will ride the Tour and the Vuelta next year. So I guess this is his way of saying that he has no plans to ride the 2013 WC. No surprise really.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
There's no way Contador will ride the Tour and the Vuelta next year. So I guess this is his way of saying that he has no plans to ride the 2013 WC. No surprise really.

he was planning to do so this year if he hadn't been banned so why wouldn't he do it next year?

it's not like he will risk his tour form by riding the vuelta like it would be the case if he rode the giro before.

Parrulo said:
he was planning to do so this year if he hadn't been banned so why wouldn't he do it next year?

it's not like he will risk his tour form by riding the vuelta like it would be the case if he rode the giro before.

He says a lot of things. I don't think he would have as he never does much after the Tour. We only really have 2007 and 2009 to go on, but still, he doesn't race all year like Purito or Valverde.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
He says a lot of things. I don't think he would have as he never does much after the Tour. We only really have 2007 and 2009 to go on, but still, he doesn't race all year like Purito or Valverde.

Sastre is pretty much the only Tour-winner in the last 15 years who did anything of significance several months after his Tour victory. I guess it depends on what you expect of Contador next year, if he wins the Tour it would be highly surprising if he starts/is good at the Vuelta and world championship.

LaFlorecita said:
So you take your thoughts and present them as facts. Brilliant.

I wasn't talking facts, obviously. I didn't think I'd have to include "IMO" for you to understand.

Lanark said:
Sastre is pretty much the only Tour-winner in the last 15 years who did anything of significance several months after his Tour victory. I guess it depends on what you expect of Contador next year, if he wins the Tour it would be highly surprising if he starts/is good at the Vuelta and world championship.

Exactly. I expect him to win the Tour, yes. Purito would probably be the biggest favorite for the Vuelta regardless ... and Contador can't win the Worlds RR or TT, so what would be the point? At least in 2014 the Worlds will be held in Spain, so he'll have an incentive to ride both

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Exactly. I expect him to win the Tour, yes. Purito would probably be the biggest favorite for the Vuelta regardless ... and Contador can't win the Worlds RR or TT, so what would be the point? At least in 2014 the Worlds will be held in Spain, so he'll have an incentive to ride both

That's BS he's not the biggest favorite for the RR but he does have a chance.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Lanark said:

Why?It is not impossible,it was his plan this year so why not?

sacrifice&hardwork said:

Lets see what the man himself says for a change:

el de Ponferrada se puede adaptar muy bien a mis características

Done.

Meaning he will have equal chances in both. A slightier tougher course in Florence perhaps but it levels with the massive homesupport he will gain at home soil. If he should ever win a WC-gold then he would of course love it to be in 2014.