• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1495 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I feel for Alberto it's a shame to start the Tour like this, specially when you're facing such strong riders as Froome or Quintana. Why can't Tinkoff ride like Astana or Sky who are always close to the front, rarely pulling and usually united. Tinkoff is either pulling at the front or scattered all over the peloton which is not understandable with Bodnar, Gatto, Sagan, Tosatto and Valgren all there for the flats (not to mention Kreuziger who's handy as well).

I always hope he recovers and does well but at the end of the day he's already on the back foot specially if he loses time today.

Vamos Alberto! :)

Stage 5 is certainly interesting and tough. But the climbs are short and a bit far from the finish line, not to mention that the final climb is easy. Who has the balls to make a hard race on this path? Certainly not Froome or Quintana. Probably only Nibali, but has the Giro in his legs and I don't see him as pretender to the final victory.
For me, Alberto will survive without any problems

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Matteo. said:
Stage 5 is certainly interesting and tough. But the climbs are short and a bit far from the finish line, not to mention that the final climb is easy. Who has the balls to make a hard race on this path? Certainly not Froome or Quintana. Probably only Nibali, but has the Giro in his legs and I don't see him as pretender to the final victory.

Well, its for 100 percent sure, that Kiri, Poels and Nieve will make the pace over this climbs. Maybe Henao too. That means, there are less than 30 men together at the finish.

Re: Re:

boasson said:
Matteo. said:

Well, its for 100 percent sure, that Kiri, Poels and Nieve will make the pace over this climbs. Maybe Henao too. That means, there are less than 30 men together at the finish.
So it's irrelevant. If he can't handle that easily, he'll be too late for the pyrenees anyway

peloton said:
cellardoor said:
Sounds like the finish of today's stage is not as selective as I first thought. I don't think Contador will lose any time, despite the injuries, and in fact I predict he'll lead out Sagan for the stage win :)

I think the main focus for Contador today is to try not to lose any time, very much doubt he'll do any leadout duties, esp. after the crash

Rodriguez and Valverde might get clear by a few seconds but that is no great concern for the overall.

Today's stage is more dangerous for Contador than the fifth one.
Contador may have not slept all that well tonight, which will hinder his performance. 3 days from now he'll be way better and the last part of the stage doesn't present a real challenge like today's one.

Apart from today, and some unexpected situations (such as a mechanical, or a fall), I don't see anything happening before friday.

I just returned from a Euro vacation to find out Berto has had a bad crash on the very first stage :( He always seems jinxed at Le Tour..... Watching the film it's a miracle his collarbone or shoulder were not fractured so hopefully he will be okay in a few days. But it is a really Lousy way to start the race and he is already on the back foot after 1/2 stage of 21. Stinks!!!

Heal well Berto and come back strong. Good to hear his morale is still high :).

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
peloton said:
Contador this morning to #eurosport::
"I had a bad night but my moral is still very strong."

:(
Hard to know if that's 100% true, but it seems logical
This sucks. His recovery after (hard) flat stages will be totally rubish before Aspin because of those bruises.
His only chance to hold Quintana and Froome wheels is monster form in the 1st week which is unlikely imo.

ILovecycling said:
LaFlorecita said:
peloton said:
Contador this morning to #eurosport::
"I had a bad night but my moral is still very strong."

:(
Hard to know if that's 100% true, but it seems logical
This sucks. His recovery after (hard) flat stages will be totally rubish before Aspin because of those bruises.
His only chance to hold Quintana and Froome wheels is monster form in the 1st week which is unlikely imo.

I can see Nibali as being the beacon Contador will need at the descend to reduce the differences to Froome/Quintana.

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
What is this. I don't understand why Tinkoff was riding for Sagan there at the end. Have they given up on Contador already. Kreuzinger was pulling at the front, while Conta was struggling to keep pace. Now they have to work for the yellow also.

TRENDING THREADS