Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1900 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 6, 2009
5,273
0
0
Cycling won't be the same.
Probably retirement is a good decision for himself and his family (and that's all that really matters). But selfishly as a fan, I wish it weren't happening yet.

Hoping he gets to lift his arms one last time at the Vuelta somewhere.
 
Re:

Angliru said:
My first sighting of Alberto was during one of his first participations in Paris-Nice and he was on the attack. Coincidentally, he was attacking I believe on a descent, accelerating out of the saddle on a corner, pedaling furiously and clipped out of his pedal causing him to weave precariously close to a stone wall! He regained his balance and control and continued on. I say coincidentally because of all the issues he's had with crashes in the final years of his storied career. His attack brought excitement to the stage and although it didn't lead to a stage win, it did open my eyes to this young rider. His out-of-the-saddle style reminded me of one of my other favorites, Iban Mayo, and he would go on the do all the things that the promise and potential that Iban had but never brought to fruition.

Just a great, stylish, entertaining champion of the sport. Riders like Alberto are few and far between.

Edit: Corrected multiple typos. :(

That was the day I became a fan. 2005 Paris Nice
 
Re: Re:

perico said:
Angliru said:
My first sighting of Alberto was during one of his first participations in Paris-Nice and he was on the attack. Coincidentally, he was attacking I believe on a descent, accelerating out of the saddle on a corner, pedaling furiously and clipped out of his pedal causing him to weave precariously close to a stone wall! He regained his balance and control and continued on. I say coincidentally because of all the issues he's had with crashes in the final years of his storied career. His attack brought excitement to the stage and although it didn't lead to a stage win, it did open my eyes to this young rider. His out-of-the-saddle style reminded me of one of my other favorites, Iban Mayo, and he would go on the do all the things that the promise and potential that Iban had but never brought to fruition.

Just a great, stylish, entertaining champion of the sport. Riders like Alberto are few and far between.

Edit: Corrected multiple typos. :(

That was the day I became a fan. 2005 Paris Nice
Thanks! I couldn't remember the exact year. :)
 
I am happy for Contador. He has had an incredible career and now has a new chapter of his life to live. As a fan, I am sad that he will no longer be there, but I wish him all the best and I hope he stays in the public eye in the future. I always felt he was a classy guy, but had to deal with some really horrible people (Tinkov, "teammate" Armstrong).
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
I didnt notice Alberto before Paris-Nice 2007 since I didnt really follow cycling outside of Tour de France before 2006. I have always wondered, how come Berto wasn't selected for the Vuelta that year when Vino won?
I believe he had a knee injury
We can add that to the list of what if's then ;)

No seriously, that would have been a bonkers Liberty/Astana team in that Vuelta. One of my biggest regrets in cycling is the fact that Saiz and Liberty had to close it down, that would probably also have meant a more steady career for Alberto in the end.
 
And sneaky Valverde posting a picture of a struggling Contador in 2013 with him on the wheel (I think Ax-3-Domaines?) on Twitter, whereas Purito is posting a picture of 2012 Alberto on Fuente Dé. Yes, the stage where he himself was robbed of his first and only GT :D
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
And sneaky Valverde posting a picture of a struggling Contador in 2013 with him on the wheel (I think Ax-3-Domaines?) on Twitter, whereas Purito is posting a picture of 2012 Alberto on Fuente Dé. Yes, the stage where he himself was robbed of his first and only GT :D
That was a beautiful and touching gesture by Purito.
 
Jul 16, 2011
1,551
0
0
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
And sneaky Valverde posting a picture of a struggling Contador in 2013 with him on the wheel (I think Ax-3-Domaines?) on Twitter, whereas Purito is posting a picture of 2012 Alberto on Fuente Dé. Yes, the stage where he himself was robbed of his first and only GT :D
That was where he was robbed of his second GT, since earlier in that year Purito robbed himself with Ryder's help.

Anyway, this is about Contador. I have never been his supporter, but definitely admired his spirit. He will be missed.
All the best for the future.
 
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
And sneaky Valverde posting a picture of a struggling Contador in 2013 with him on the wheel (I think Ax-3-Domaines?) on Twitter, whereas Purito is posting a picture of 2012 Alberto on Fuente Dé. Yes, the stage where he himself was robbed of his first and only GT :D
That was a beautiful and touching gesture by Purito.
Thats Purito, such a warm person with a great personality.. the end of an era, only Valverde can stop that in 2018.
 
Jul 1, 2013
1,952
0
0
Hopefully he will go out with a bang at Vuelta, fully prepped, armed and dangerous. Very much enjoyed watching him over the years.
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
And sneaky Valverde posting a picture of a struggling Contador in 2013 with him on the wheel (I think Ax-3-Domaines?) on Twitter, whereas Purito is posting a picture of 2012 Alberto on Fuente Dé. Yes, the stage where he himself was robbed of his first and only GT :D
That was a beautiful and touching gesture by Purito.
Thats Purito, such a warm person with a great personality.. the end of an era, only Valverde can stop that in 2018.
Can only hope Contador will stop the peloton randomly at some point, and proceed to give a thunderous speech to the likes of Marc Soler and Enric Mas about stepping up and keeping Spanish cycling great. And if they don't know what to do, they can always follow the Landa. Someone has to say it, and Purito and Valverde ain't gonna be there to do so.

Furthermore, I imagine 10 years down the line, when Purito, Contador and Valverde meet somewhere, all retired, one of them will ask what happened to Samu, only to hear he became the new Zubeldia and has been appearing in race results to that very day.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
I saw him on the road once, in the 2011 Giro when they went through my hometown on the changed Zoncolan stage. The main bunch took it really easy, so you were able to spot all the big names.
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
And sneaky Valverde posting a picture of a struggling Contador in 2013 with him on the wheel (I think Ax-3-Domaines?) on Twitter, whereas Purito is posting a picture of 2012 Alberto on Fuente Dé. Yes, the stage where he himself was robbed of his first and only GT :D
That was a beautiful and touching gesture by Purito.
Thats Purito, such a warm person with a great personality.. the end of an era, only Valverde can stop that in 2018.
Can only hope Contador will stop the peloton randomly at some point, and proceed to give a thunderous speech to the likes of Marc Soler and Enric Mas about stepping up and keeping Spanish cycling great. And if they don't know what to do, they can always follow the Landa. Someone has to say it, and Purito and Valverde ain't gonna be there to do so.

Furthermore, I imagine 10 years down the line, when Purito, Contador and Valverde meet somewhere, all retired, one of them will ask what happened to Samu, only to hear he became the new Zubeldia and has been appearing in race results to that very day.
more likely to be igor anton tho ;)
 
Aug 30, 2016
72
0
2,680
Had a feeling it was coming sooner rather than later - but still shocked and so sad. To my mind, there was no one more graceful & elegant both on and off the bike. He will be sorely missed.
 
It was about time I guess.

I think it was because of Contador that I started watching cycling seriously (besides cheering for the mighty Cândido Barbosa on the Volta a Portugal) back in the 2009 Tour. I knew very little of cycling back then, my favourites were Andreas Kloden, Frank Schleck and Kim Kirchen even though I don't have anything to do with Luxembourg really. But it was impossible not to be impressed with Alberto that year specially with the way he look so good on the Grand Bornand and Ventoux stages.

Since then I got hooked to the sport, I have started training a lot more on a road bike and I also turned my mother (who didn't follow any sport but cycling) into the biggest Contador fan/hooligan I've ever saw.

Thanks Alberto :)
 
Re:

trevim said:
It was about time I guess.

I think it was because of Contador that I started watching cycling seriously (besides cheering for the mighty Cândido Barbosa on the Volta a Portugal) back in the 2009 Tour. I knew very little of cycling back then, my favourites were Andreas Kloden, Frank Schleck and Kim Kirchen even though I don't have anything to do with Luxembourg really. But it was impossible not to be impressed with Alberto that year specially with the way he look so good on the Grand Bornand and Ventoux stages.

Since then I got hooked to the sport, I have started training a lot more on a road bike and I also turned my mother (who didn't follow any sport but cycling) into the biggest Contador fan/hooligan I've ever saw.

Thanks Alberto :)
Thanking Bertie for making your mother a hooligan sounds a bit .... odd? :D He'll be missed.
 
Jul 1, 2013
1,952
0
0
Nice that he is finishing in good health and spirit. Even this year producing the best form of his life in training.
 
Aug 26, 2014
2,148
0
0
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
And sneaky Valverde posting a picture of a struggling Contador in 2013 with him on the wheel (I think Ax-3-Domaines?) on Twitter, whereas Purito is posting a picture of 2012 Alberto on Fuente Dé. Yes, the stage where he himself was robbed of his first and only GT :D
That was a beautiful and touching gesture by Purito.
What a sweetheart Purito is. Able to understand what that day means to Contador fans, even if he was on the wrong end of the result. i still miss JRod, actually.
 
Michael Rasmussen says:

"The last decade's greatest stage racer, Alberto Contador, has decided to call it quits after the Vuelta. His phenomenal accellarations in the mountains would become his trademark and what oppenents feared throughout 10 years."
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Professional Road Racing 14
Similar threads
Random Discussion

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS