Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1907 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 11, 2009
267
0
0
Reminds me of Indurain in '96 in the same race, end of another era. He might get a stage but doesn't look to have the legs. Maybe he's after the Angliru in a break away at the end of the race. Be a fitting stage for him to win, he has to be in a break though.
 
Mar 15, 2009
110
0
0
I don't understand this. How in hell did he decide coming to the Vuelta and retiring afterwards in this shape? Something happened after the Tour...

A sad end to his career, to be sure.
 
Re:

arvc40 said:
Poor show today. To many Ice Creams and no motivation.
It's like he didn't even touch his bike since the Tour finished - to be in such bad shape. Just spent the time doing interviews and preparing his farewell tour. It's sad to see, but hopefully he can ride himself into some form and do something memorable in the last few stages.
 
Jul 1, 2013
1,952
0
0
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
arvc40 said:
Poor show today. To many Ice Creams and no motivation.
It's like he didn't even touch his bike since the Tour finished - to be in such bad shape. Just spent the time doing interviews and preparing his farewell tour. It's sad to see, but hopefully he can ride himself into some form and do something memorable in the last few stages.
Indeed. He posts nice pictures of training rides and talks alot of *** but what he needs to do is get stuck in. Think he believes the hype too much !.

Scrap that, its old father time !
 
Jul 10, 2009
918
0
0
This have been the story since 2014 with blips here and there, so whats new? he is an exceptional athlete such that he won a GT (2015 Giro) on reserve tank. Except we are now on literally empty tank.

But some die-hard AC fans refuse to wake up from fantasy island still believing in the miracle blip. Perhaps reality will now set it, he ain't what he was, hasn't been since 2014. Even the 2015 Giro may not had been if Landa had been allowed to do what he wanted.

Still think he is an exceptional athlete but he should have quit after 2014. Although I wonder if he may have come back like LA, feeling he cut it short? Now, he will not return, its clear to him and everyone there is nothing left, he has given the sport everything, every ounce of gas he has to offer.
 
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
arvc40 said:
Poor show today. To many Ice Creams and no motivation.
It's like he didn't even touch his bike since the Tour finished - to be in such bad shape. Just spent the time doing interviews and preparing his farewell tour. It's sad to see, but hopefully he can ride himself into some form and do something memorable in the last few stages.
Huh?! Wasn't it a gutsy ride today by Alberto?
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
1
0
Re:

jilbiker said:
This have been the story since 2014 with blips here and there, so whats new? he is an exceptional athlete such that he won a GT (2015 Giro) on reserve tank. Except we are now on literally empty tank.

But some die-hard AC fans refuse to wake up from fantasy island still believing in the miracle blip. Perhaps reality will now set it, he ain't what he was, hasn't been since 2014. Even the 2015 Giro may not had been if Landa had been allowed to do what he wanted.

Still think he is an exceptional athlete but he should have quit after 2014. Although I wonder if he may have come back like LA, feeling he cut it short? Now, he will not return, its clear to him and everyone there is nothing left, he has given the sport everything, every ounce of gas he has to offer.
I agree with you except in one thing... contador had a heavy crash in the 2015 giro, if he wouldn't crash, he would have beaten landa and aru by a larger margin. His attack in abetone was insane
 
Aug 26, 2014
2,148
0
0
Hard to see Berto in such bad shape- shocking, frankly. Whatever his decline, it's not what I'd have expected. What he said at the pre-race interviews about he didn't like the Watts cycling and the riding for places, sounded almost a bit disillusioned. I have been wondering about his decision - that he seemed to suddenly decide to retire. I wonder if he' s just done with it. I could almost see him retire from the race on this form.
 
Aug 26, 2014
2,148
0
0
Re:

yaco said:
Has been slowing down for two years - And loss of form can suddenly hit an athlete - He's a proud man who will ride out the tour to the best of his ability.
I hope so. Be nice if he could actually enjoy it and feel he went out on something of a high though. We'll see. Perhaps he can ride into better form and cause mayhem.
 
@Netserk :D

Electress said:
Hard to see Berto in such bad shape- shocking, frankly. Whatever his decline, it's not what I'd have expected. What he said at the pre-race interviews about he didn't like the Watts cycling and the riding for places, sounded almost a bit disillusioned. I have been wondering about his decision - that he seemed to suddenly decide to retire. I wonder if he' s just done with it. I could almost see him retire from the race on this form.
DNP-Old said:
In his interview with TVE, it already seemed like the has thrown the towel. The competitive fire might be dead.
:(
Contador looks done mentally. He should just retire and focus on his next part of life. This looks painful.
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
1
0
Re:

staubsauger said:
Tinkoff was 100% correct. Contador should've retired 2 years ago!

Actually this performances are worse than Pantani 2003 or Armstrong 2009. Eventually puts things into perspective on how big Contador really was!
Huh? Did you watch armstrong's performances in 2010?
 
Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
staubsauger said:
Tinkoff was 100% correct. Contador should've retired 2 years ago!

Actually this performances are worse than Pantani 2003 or Armstrong 2009. Eventually puts things into perspective on how big Contador really was!
Huh? Did you watch armstrong's performances in 2010?
You mean when he would've won the Tour de Suisse if not for Schleck doing the TT of his life!?
 
Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
staubsauger said:
Tinkoff was 100% correct. Contador should've retired 2 years ago!

Actually this performances are worse than Pantani 2003 or Armstrong 2009. Eventually puts things into perspective on how big Contador really was!
Huh? Did you watch armstrong's performances in 2010?
He mentioned Armstrong's performance in 2009. You should improve your reading skills.
 
Re: Re:

lenric said:
portugal11 said:
staubsauger said:
Tinkoff was 100% correct. Contador should've retired 2 years ago!

Actually this performances are worse than Pantani 2003 or Armstrong 2009. Eventually puts things into perspective on how big Contador really was!
Huh? Did you watch armstrong's performances in 2010?
He mentioned Armstrong's performance in 2009. You should improve your reading skills.
Did Armstrong retire at the end of 09?
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
1
0
Re: Re:

staubsauger said:
portugal11 said:
staubsauger said:
Tinkoff was 100% correct. Contador should've retired 2 years ago!

Actually this performances are worse than Pantani 2003 or Armstrong 2009. Eventually puts things into perspective on how big Contador really was!
Huh? Did you watch armstrong's performances in 2010?
You mean when he would've won the Tour de Suisse if not for Schleck doing the TT of his life!?
Contador almost won the paris nice this year... what is your point? I thought you were talking about gt mate. For me itnwas painful in watching LA in the 2010 tour
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
1
0
Re: Re:

lenric said:
portugal11 said:
staubsauger said:
Tinkoff was 100% correct. Contador should've retired 2 years ago!

Actually this performances are worse than Pantani 2003 or Armstrong 2009. Eventually puts things into perspective on how big Contador really was!
Huh? Did you watch armstrong's performances in 2010?
He mentioned Armstrong's performance in 2009. You should improve your reading skills.
But he was talking about the last season of former gt legends... you're out of context, so please don't come here only to troll other members. The last season of LA was 2010 and not 2009
 
Re: Re:

staubsauger said:
portugal11 said:
staubsauger said:
Tinkoff was 100% correct. Contador should've retired 2 years ago!

Actually this performances are worse than Pantani 2003 or Armstrong 2009. Eventually puts things into perspective on how big Contador really was!
Huh? Did you watch armstrong's performances in 2010?
You mean when he would've won the Tour de Suisse if not for Schleck doing the TT of his life!?
I'd say Contador's performance in P-N this year was better than that.
 
Re: Re:

lenric said:
portugal11 said:
staubsauger said:
Tinkoff was 100% correct. Contador should've retired 2 years ago!

Actually this performances are worse than Pantani 2003 or Armstrong 2009. Eventually puts things into perspective on how big Contador really was!
Huh? Did you watch armstrong's performances in 2010?
He mentioned Armstrong's performance in 2009. You should improve your reading skills.
And you should tone it down.

Contador proved he was right today. Right about quitting this year. He does not have the recovery anymore. All the 'he should've retired 2 years ago' *** can stop. For as declined as he is, he was responsible for a significant amount of the action in the Tour, and he's still competitive in the spring. Now is the right moment to go if he does not want to continue as a stage hunter/domestique.
 
Re: Re:

Netserk said:
staubsauger said:
portugal11 said:
staubsauger said:
Tinkoff was 100% correct. Contador should've retired 2 years ago!

Actually this performances are worse than Pantani 2003 or Armstrong 2009. Eventually puts things into perspective on how big Contador really was!
Huh? Did you watch armstrong's performances in 2010?
You mean when he would've won the Tour de Suisse if not for Schleck doing the TT of his life!?
I'd say Contador's performance in P-N this year was better than that.
Indeed. He would've won if Bahrain hadn't chased very hard for whaetever reason. Contador was also the main actor on the best stage of the 2017 TDF (Foix) which you can't say about Lance on 2010 TDF.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS