• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1910 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
lenric said:
portugal11 said:
staubsauger said:
Tinkoff was 100% correct. Contador should've retired 2 years ago!

Actually this performances are worse than Pantani 2003 or Armstrong 2009. Eventually puts things into perspective on how big Contador really was!
Huh? Did you watch armstrong's performances in 2010?

He mentioned Armstrong's performance in 2009. You should improve your reading skills.
And you should tone it down.

Contador proved he was right today. Right about quitting this year. He does not have the recovery anymore. All the 'he should've retired 2 years ago' ****** can stop. For as declined as he is, he was responsible for a significant amount of the action in the Tour, and he's still competitive in the spring. Now is the right moment to go if he does not want to continue as a stage hunter/domestique.

This. And he had some good moments in the Tour. This will sound funny, but it's the most impressive ninth place result that I've seen.

gregrowlerson said:
Red Rick said:
lenric said:
portugal11 said:
staubsauger said:
Tinkoff was 100% correct. Contador should've retired 2 years ago!

Actually this performances are worse than Pantani 2003 or Armstrong 2009. Eventually puts things into perspective on how big Contador really was!
Huh? Did you watch armstrong's performances in 2010?

He mentioned Armstrong's performance in 2009. You should improve your reading skills.
And you should tone it down.

Contador proved he was right today. Right about quitting this year. He does not have the recovery anymore. All the 'he should've retired 2 years ago' ****** can stop. For as declined as he is, he was responsible for a significant amount of the action in the Tour, and he's still competitive in the spring. Now is the right moment to go if he does not want to continue as a stage hunter/domestique.

This. And he had some good moments in the Tour. This will sound funny, but it's the most impressive ninth place result that I've seen.

It does. By that logic Baruil's 10th place was one of the most impressive I've seen. He got the KoM jersey, won two stages, and was 10th. That's an impressive tenth.

AC was 9th, with several gutsy attempts, but no result.

Maybe we will see the greatest alliance of modern cycling, where Bertie and Nibs attacks together far out, puts 2,5 minutes to everyone else and at the finish Nibs hands over the stage win to Bertie hailing for his legacy at the same time. And the forum will crash permanently. I'm dreaming I know, but wouldn't that be awesome?

Re:

ferryman said:
So Contador has finally ran out of gas, inspiration, desire who knows. The posters who still feel they need to post in this thread and make derisory
comments make me laugh. You really know **** all about cycling. Contador is simply THE best GT rider we have seen in the last 30 years, bar none.
Great post.
I hope Alberto isn't getting ill. That would be sad.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

bambino said:
Maybe we will see the greatest alliance of modern cycling, where Bertie and Nibs attacks together far out, puts 2,5 minutes to everyone else and at the finish Nibs hands over the stage win to Bertie hailing for his legacy at the same time. And the forum will crash permanently. I'm dreaming I know, but wouldn't that be awesome?

I'm dreaming exactly the same. May it be two great alliances, one time with the Squalo, another stage with Aru. And then, helped by a huge gap in the TT towards everyone bar Froome, suddenly he's back :D

Grande Alberto. Still worth every single gram of faith that the people have in him.

Either he had a bad day, which is likely, or this is his real level, which is unlikely. But his 'normal' days most likely aren't so good that he could have stayed with the front group and you shouldn't be this bad on a bad day. Wasn't a sudden sugar crisis either as he suggested he welt weak on Rabassa. No matter what its not an uplifting performance by any means and I doubt he will do something like he did in Foix no matter how much he wants it, he seemed completely and utterly empty yesterday. Maybe he hasn't touched his bike so much in the meantime to try to limit the fatigue and his form will come later, thats what we should hope.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Either he had a bad day, which is likely, or this is his real level, which is unlikely. But his 'normal' days most likely aren't so good that he could have stayed with the front group and you shouldn't be this bad on a bad day. Wasn't a sudden sugar crisis either as he suggested he welt weak on Rabassa. No matter what its not an uplifting performance by any means and I doubt he will do something like he did in Foix no matter how much he wants it, he seemed completely and utterly empty yesterday. Maybe he hasn't touched his bike so much in the meantime to try to limit the fatigue and his form will come later, thats what we should hope.

I think that could be perfectly possible, don't you think? Why should one's performance on one single stage be the same on every other day in a 3 weeks race?

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Re:

ferryman said:
So Contador has finally ran out of gas, inspiration, desire who knows. The posters who still feel they need to post in this thread and make derisory
comments make me laugh. You really know **** all about cycling. Contador is simply THE best GT rider we have seen in the last 30 years, bar none.

Agreed but he bull shits alot, regarding his form. It was interesting pre retirement but he should own it now. I have no idea what happened between the early season to the Dauphine. His form dropped off a cliff.

Contador doesnt have to do anything
If he rode around Spain waving at people that would be enough...this is his swan song

But I reckon he will be poor for a week or so and then attack on a mega stage like stage 11 or even win on the Anglieu...that would be a great ending. Just save it all for that stage

See the old Contador bouncing up that summit out of the saddle ...everyone with their cameras to the ready
If I were him I would wait for then and go for it

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Do you think it's possible that Contador sandbagged a bit? I don't think his pride would allow that, but he lost 2:30+ on a 12 minute climb and a decent. Even when he cracked on the Izoard (?) stage in 2011, he only lost 30 seconds in 1km, and he was completely spent. I just find it hard to believe he was 20% slower than Froome.

The only thing that he might do that will disappoint me now is him pulling out of his last race without strong physical excuse, that would be the biggest disappointment he could ever give me. This man, when I look back at those years of following his ups and downs, has given too many great times - few other athletes compare - for me to ask for much more.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

ferryman said:

He is a great rider but not the best. He has one 100% Pukka TDF win from 2009, one given to him and one taken away. IMO his Giro and Vuelta victorys are great but they are not the Tour.

We all know that Froome will finish with a better record. He is better Physically, Mentally and is improving in every other aspect that's required to be the greatest ever GT rider. He stays on his bike and stays out of trouble riding with fource and aggression. And for the record he is at this point clean as a whistle.

Contador brings excitement to a race but by the last 10 k it usually falls flat, no different to madcap long range efforts on Flat stages.

His best moments where good to watch but not sure there is to much to miss about the last few years at Tour where he damn well should be able to at least go man on man with Froome rather than get dropped by his team mates, Often simply showing lack of Athletic ability.

arvc40 said:
ferryman said:

He is a great rider but not the best. He has one 100% Pukka TDF win from 2009, one given to him and one taken away. IMO his Giro and Vuelta victorys are great but they are not the Tour.

We all know that Froome will finish with a better record. He is better Physically, Mentally and is improving in every other aspect that's required to be the greatest ever GT rider. He stays on his bike and stays out of trouble riding with fource and aggression. And for the record he is at this point clean as a whistle.

Contador brings excitement to a race but by the last 10 k it usually falls flat, no different to madcap long range efforts on Flat stages.

His best moments where good to watch but not sure there is to much to miss about the last few years at Tour where he damn well should be able to at least go man on man with Froome rather than get dropped by his team mates, Often simply showing lack of Athletic ability.

So when you're stripped from the results sheets it doesn't count?
And when your opponent gets kicked out of the race winning also doesn't count?

TRENDING THREADS