• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 300 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I had a quick look and replied

Thanks for the response :) also got to remember that none of his points have counted this year, which must have demotivated him. Tour is another story though. Winning it provides immeasurable exposure for sponsors and saxo. He maybe is just aiming at July

LaFlorecita said:
What does that mean?

I believe in Dauphiné, if he does't lose any time in the mountains and can attack Froome once or twice, and really put him in trouble, and limit his losses in the tt (~30s), it means he will be strong in tdf.

That means I should be more careful when you using the stylus on my note 8 when sending messages. It should say win and not when :D:eek:

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
LOL about all the negativity around El Pistolero. There isn't even going to be a real duel between Berto en the dawg. The Dawg will quit the tour after the Mont Ventoux out of pure misery because Berto completely destroyed him.

I mean c'mon. Contador has won 7 GT's the last 6 years. The only thing The Dawg won was Oman and Criterium International

You have to remember that the only time we've seen a 'fresh' Froome, well the new '11 version anyway, go all out on a grand tour climb is still just in that Pena Carbaga stage of the 2011 Vuelta against Cobo.* And from what I remember that was pretty spectacular, so god knows what awaits us in July. I'm not someone who thinks he could have taken massive time out of Wiggins on the Tour climbs last year but we still don't really know how good this new alien Froome really is.

* There was also the ''little dig'' on PDBF after he'd pulled on the front for 2km that left the defending champion looking like a mug.

Here's the Pena Carbaga attack for anyone who's forgotten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5GxKr1XLtk Quite extraordinary.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Berto vs Froome

Whos the best climber: Berto
Whos the best descender: Berto
Whos the best TTér: Froome
Who have most endurance: Equal
Who have most exsperience: Berto
Who have the strongest team: Yet to be seen, but probably equal.
Who has Bjarne in the car: Berto

I wouldn´t be so freaking worried Laflo, the tour is not a one day race or a 1 week race, and in my book Berto do still have the upper hand.

Relax.

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
xrayvision said:
Berto vs Froome

Whos the best climber: Berto
Whos the best descender: Berto
Whos the best TTér: Froome
Who have most endurance: Equal
Who have most exsperience: Berto
Who have the strongest team: Yet to be seen, but probably equal.

I wouldn´t be so freaking worried Laflo, the tour is not a one day race or a 1 week race, and in my book Berto do still have the upper hand.

Relax.

you forgot:

Who's has the best tactical cycling brain: Alberto

Le Baroudeur said:
you forgot:

Who's has the best tactical cycling brain: Alberto

Of course it's massive challenge to Froome or anyone else hoping to beat Condator but he'll be beaten at some point. It very nearly happened in last year's Vuelta so why not this year's Tour?

Recent history of impressive early season performances has led to grand tour success too. Evans 2011, Wiggins 2012, Nibali 2013. Froome 2013 also?

If you are behind your main competition in March then it's very difficult to catch up, even as far away as July. That's what recent history tells us.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
JRanton said:
Of course it's massive challenge to Froome or anyone else hoping to beat Condator but he'll be beaten at some point. It very nearly happened in last year's Vuelta so why not this year's Tour?

Recent history of impressive early season performances has led to grand tour success too. Evans 2011, Wiggins 2012, Nibali 2013. Froome 2013 also?

If you are behind your main competition in March then it's very difficult to catch up, even as far away as July. That's what recent history tells us.

It completely depends on what your goals are, and my take is since Alberto´s points doesn´t count the team have been handling his season quite conservatively, it´s obvious to anyone he´s not been in his usual shape and form in the early season, some people here take it as a sign of weakness and a sign of ageing, but they seems to forget as a cyclist he just reached the best years as a GC contender which is between 28 - 32, some even older.

Of course he can lose, he´s just a man and anything can happen, but his class and commitment and his ambitions to win is beyond comparison.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Roderick said:
LOL about all the negativity around El Pistolero. There isn't even going to be a real duel between Berto en the dawg. The Dawg will quit the tour after the Mont Ventoux out of pure misery because Berto completely destroyed him.

I mean c'mon. Contador has won 7 GT's the last 6 years. The only thing The Dawg won was Oman and Criterium International

Why do people keep leaving Romandie out? :confused:

If we look purely at palmares to determine who will win in July then Contador will obviously always win. But Froome didn't emerge until 2011. And things change. As it stands, this year, Froome has been the better and looks like more of a favorite for the win then Contador IMO. Not to say that Contador can't beat him (I think he still has a good chance of winning the Tour, despite his performance thus far this season), but looking only at past palmares to determine who will win isn't the most accurate way of logically predicting a winner.

OnTheDrops

BANNED
May 16, 2013
Visit site
2013 Giro is the first grand tour in years where everybody hasn't harped on about how Contador would have smashed it if he was riding. He no longer has that invincible air about him.

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Who has a team of Andreas Kloedens who ride on the front 95% of the race even sprint stages guaranteeing he is the least likely person in the peloton to be involved in a crash - Froome.

I had a thousand word post to explain this point written, but this will do, :) but for the mention of rider choice and non riding staff as well.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Looking only at past palmares to determine who will win isn't the most accurate way of logically predicting a winner.

This is the point. I am tired for reading the same argument for months.

There a lot of arguments apart from the palmares for think Contador could win in July.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Le Baroudeur said:
Perfect.

10101010ch

I'd specify. It's the first time when people try to discern Contador hopes in his teammaters' glimpses of shape. It would've been pretty hilarious if this logic had worked other way round. :)

JRanton said:
You have to remember that the only time we've seen a 'fresh' Froome, well the new '11 version anyway, go all out on a grand tour climb is still just in that Pena Carbaga stage of the 2011 Vuelta against Cobo.* And from what I remember that was pretty spectacular, so god knows what awaits us in July. I'm not someone who thinks he could have taken massive time out of Wiggins on the Tour climbs last year but we still don't really know how good this new alien Froome really is.

* There was also the ''little dig'' on PDBF after he'd pulled on the front for 2km that left the defending champion looking like a mug.

Here's the Pena Carbaga attack for anyone who's forgotten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5GxKr1XLtk Quite extraordinary.

Remind me again how much time he won on that Vuelta stage on Cobo (who in himself is no match for Contador)?

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I guess Contador and his team will be in top shape for the tour. He will be totally ready for it. And Froome? The fact that Wiggo quited the Giro might be very bad for him. I don't think he will ride for Froome and so there will be a lot of comotion at sky, the wives will declare a war to each other, Wiggo hasn'f forgotten what Froome did last year in the mountains as his lieutenant...
This is all in favor of Contador, who is the absolute leader at Saxobank.

I whish it was already July

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
GJB123 said:
Remind me again how much time he won on that Vuelta stage on Cobo (who in himself is no match for Contador)?
That Cobo was magical. Contador would have collided with huge difficulties, fighting against him. It is not correct to take Contador and his palmares on one side, Cobo in the Vuelta '11 on other one and say 'Cobo is nobody by and large'. Such a point is a huge in rider's name rather than in racing reality.

Following your logic Contador couldn't drop Rodriguez who failed to beat a miserable Hesjedal who has never been match for Contador.

It's different races, different stories with lots of circumstances. Polntless to compare them.

TRENDING THREADS