• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 497 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

straitjacker

BANNED
Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Reading the article made me think of his retirement. If he doesn't win the Tour this year I see it coming soon.
When he realizes that the Tour is out of his reach, he'll probably refocus on the Giro and Vuelta once again, and then he'll finish.
He could ride more, off course, but fighting for the consolation GTs isn't exactly the role for the rider of his caliber.

straitjacker said:
Reading the article made me think of his retirement. If he doesn't win the Tour this year I see it coming soon.
When he realizes that the Tour is out of his reach, he'll probably refocus on the Giro and Vuelta once again, and then he'll finish.
He could ride more, off course, but fighting for the consolation GTs isn't exactly the role for the rider of his caliber.

Hmmm, I don't think so. I think he'll ride till 2018-2019.

straitjacker

BANNED
Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Hmmm, I don't think so. I think he'll ride till 2018-2019.
Riding 4-5 seasons more would mean he'd ride in support of his team leader, and that would make Contador even more likable, but I doubt 'cause it simply isn't role for the champions like him.

straitjacker said:
Riding 4-5 seasons more would mean he'd ride in support of his team leader, and that would make Contador even more likable, but I doubt 'cause it simply isn't role for the champions like him.

Indeed. For someone of his caliber it is demeaning to be a dom. Unless for some reason he just cannot hang up the wheels he should retire ASAP when it becomes evident he can't compete at the very highest level. But that is his decision of course!

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Im sure he wont retire as long as he feel he is competitive and can win grand tours. Even though the tour is out of bounds for the next 5+ years, he can still win the vuelta imo.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
straitjacker said:

o why.. why? the season hasn't started yet, and here we are.. already pessimistic. I would rather see Contador is the last man standing against Froome, rather than have Froome walks in the park. Contador is only 30 not 60. He got plenty of time before he retires. He might have a lot more focus in developing kid and bike than years before, but that's just a sign that he is mature.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Awwwwww that's mean :D :( :p it's not his fault he pronounces season as session!

Seriously though, it's never right, when he's speaking Spanish there are always people who say - "oh learn to speak English" - "oh here comes the guy no one understands" (I read this yesterday in the youtube comments on the livestream link) and when he does speak English those d!cks ask - "what the hell is he saying", "I didn't understand a thing", "is that supposed to be English".

ah.. that's just a stupid jerk. YouTube comments are always full with idiotic comments. Alberto should start speaking English in interview. That's how he can improve his english. Even Sagan always speaks English, and Alberto's English is better than Sagan. Alberto just needs to speak English a lot more.. I agree with one of the poster, it makes him more accessible and more direct.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Im sure he wont retire as long as he feel he is competitive and can win grand tours. Even though the tour is out of bounds for the next 5+ years, he can still win the vuelta imo.

I agree that it looks like the Tour will be dominated by Froome for a few years. That said I was thinking the same thing about Contador only a year or two ago. Around Giro 2011 time Contador looked completely unstoppable, and I remember Riis saying something along those lines. Even Wiggins looked like he was going to be a competitive force for 2 / 3 years post 2012.

Things change though and we might see a weaker Froome this year and a stronger Contador. Peaking all year must have its downside and it can't see how an athlete can do so indefinitely.

BdorGqGIcAAzFIk.jpg

Is it just me or does Alberto not seem too fat this off season, good sign perhaps

straitjacker

BANNED
Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
BdorGqGIcAAzFIk.jpg

Is it just me or does Alberto not seem too fat this off season, good sign perhaps
Is it the Leopard Development Team kit?
Since when he's riding for them?
Good move! He might end in Trek Factory Racing Team if shows he's worthy.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
It's always difficult to tell these things for sure, but Contador seems to be looking pretty lean and in shape in these pictures.

This season will be make or break for Contador. Hopefully he can show his old self and be successful. Hope to see him do this.