• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 772 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Fleur, let's face it though Contador lied about the whole "oh guys this is the first day i ride with no pain, let's do the vuelta".

Such bs, and i called it back then. It's very simple, he's been training since the tour ended.

And not just 1 hour rides, the whole conspiracy is obviously bs but Contador can lie very well :)
the word 'lie' is not really proper used here.tinkoffsaxo and berto himself have great pr and always had.
I think he trained after 2 weeks off.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Miburo said:
Fleur, let's face it though Contador lied about the whole "oh guys this is the first day i ride with no pain, let's do the vuelta".

Such bs, and i called it back then. It's very simple, he's been training since the tour ended.

And not just 1 hour rides, the whole conspiracy is obviously bs but Contador can lie very well :)

Since when do athletes give correct information about their training/recovery?
This happens in many sports too, mind, I don't have a problem with it, as I don't give too much credit to it.

But to suggest someone deliberately crashes and gets injured, especially before the mountain stages, is, well, pretty stupid. Sorry.

Miburo said:

This is what I can see beyond appearances:

Alberto's injury wasn't as severe as he claimed it was, but painful/uncomfortable enough to abandon Le Tour, therefore the healing process was much faster than he said, so it allowed him to "retain" his Tour form through soft training & then taper it in the last weeks towards La Vuelta.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
sir fly said:
The point is that at the moment the fall occurred he's already been 2:30 behind and another 4-5 minutes in the chase after the peloton.
The team puts 2 and 2 together, realizes that by the end of the day he'll be around 7 minutes behind with additional couple of days till full recovery, and decides to withdraw him building the injury story.
Now, at the Vuelta, we have a miraculous, superhuman Contador, worth of being an idol.
There's no a fracture, not even a hairline, that would allow you this kind of a performance in such a short time.

What utter tripe !

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns8RH3ZRUpk

That actually looked like a superb acceleration, as he said he still lacks a bit of form to increase the gap but he only got caught in the last flat k.

If he pulls out a great TT, it might be a domination all the way to the end.

Under rainy conditions on a similar climb, he was better at the Dauphiné (Côte de montagny - 6.2 w/kg during ~ 20 min vs 6.02 w/kg today on the steepest part ~ 18:37 min effort), so he still has huge room to improve throughtout this Vuelta .

BlurryVII said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns8RH3ZRUpk

That actually looked like a superb acceleration, as he said he still lacks a bit of form but he only got caught in the last flat k.

If he pulls out a great TT, it might be a domination all the way to the end.

Under rainy conditions on a similar climb, he was better at the Dauphiné (Côte de montagny - 6.19w/kg during ~ 20 min vs 6.02 w/kg today on the steepest part ~ 18:37 min effort), so he still has huge room to improve throughtout this Vuelta .

I've seen calculations of up to 6,5 on that climb. 6,2 is still pretty high, considering it was the penultimate climb, and then again, he was even better at the Tour _O_

I know you are fanboys/girls here but there is no doubt Contador/TCS lied about his training prior to the Vuleata and also I have my doubts about the extend of the 'fracture' obtained at the Tour

He was injuried but how bad it was is questionable...I am not a doctor but his training so early after the crash would sugest it wasn't as bad as reported

its a pity TCS cannot be more honest with fans.....I beleive Contador is one of the best cyclist ever but I am not a fan of being lied to...and yes it was lies whatever way you want to package it
Can you imagine if Chris Froome did this ...the uproar on here

Miburo said:

How can you continue to root for someone that you continuously accuse of being a liar and essentially call his character into question? You're quick to pat yourself on the back for all your b.s. prognostications.:rolleyes:

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
inthepink said:
I know you are fanboys/girls here but there is no doubt Contador/TCS lied about his training prior to the Vuleata and also I have my doubts about the extend of the 'fracture' obtained at the Tour

He was injuried but how bad it was is questionable...I am not a doctor but his training so early after the crash would sugest it wasn't as bad as reported

its a pity TCS cannot be more honest with fans.....I beleive Contador is one of the best cyclist ever but I am not a fan of being lied to...and yes it was lies whatever way you want to package it

Did Froome announce how his training/recovery was going, other than training with Levi in US?

The Tour this year was the one and only GT he has ever abandoned in his career. Calling his injury a bluff, you really must be new to the sport then...

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I also have my doubts how serious inj was, how come if the inj he sustained could he even ride a climb on that leg he is not superman. Also the rumours we know of about him and training straight after, he is in great shape it is hard to believe don't you think?

TANK91 said:
I also have my doubts how serious inj was, how come if the inj he sustained could he even ride a climb on that leg he is not superman. Also the rumours we know of about him and training straight after, he is in great shape it is hard to believe don't you think?

It was obviously not as serious as first diagnosed. So what. Get over it. The thing you and the rest of the Froome fans can't stomach is the fact that a fit Contador is simply better than your boy. That's sport. That's Contador.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
ferryman said:
It was obviously not as serious as first diagnosed. So what. Get over it. The thing you and the rest of the Froome fans can't stomach is the fact that a fit Contador is simply better than your boy. That's sport. That's Contador.

So well said.

I based my opinions on the fact that he was injured and he would not be ready to dispute La Vuelta for GC. True or not that he lied, he made me look like an idiot.

Let us suppose that very few people (counted with one hand) knew about the severity of his injury. Do you know how much that information is worth in terms sports betting? Maybe Ryo can shed a light.

In the end, it's good that he's healthy and we'll see lots of racing/competition in this Vuelta. :eek:

inthepink said:

And thats about where this rant should end. Instead you should talk about things you know. Like the life of Terrence Stamp, the atomic weight of a lightbulb, garbage or whatever you know about and are into.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
I based my opinions on the fact that he was injured and he would not be ready to dispute La Vuelta for GC. True or not that he lied, he made me look like an idiot.

Let us suppose that very few people (counted with one hand) knew about the severity of his injury. Do you know how much that information is worth in terms sports betting? Maybe Ryo can shed a light.

In the end, it's good that he's healthy and we'll see lots of racing/competition in this Vuelta. :eek:

It's about the same as Purito going into a GC with broken ribs and not informing everyone. No biggie.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
sir fly said:
And it looks like the injury wasn't that serious.
I'm starting to believe that Contador abandoned the Tour realizing he couldn't win rather than he couldn't continue.

whut? are we watching the same TDF?..

I believe contador didn't expect that he did well on the first week. He prepared so hard for TDF to beat Froome and he crashed out. So he wasn't so sure with only less than 2 weeks training, how his form is to compete with the likes of Quintana, Froome and Purito. I remember Sean Yates said something about how contador came to the training camp out of shape, and he rode himself into shape. So hopefully, the trend continues.

ITT will tell us for sure how his form is compare to Quintana (especially), Purito, Froome and Valverde. Still keeping my feet on the ground. Not getting too excited yet.

If Contador gets red, he'll be hard to unseat.

cineteq said:

I figured that all of this resentment, animosity and accusations of being lied to revolved around one thing: money. If one is foolish enough to risk their dollars in hopes of big return on the unpredictable nature of sports then they deserve what they get. You and Miburo should get together and have a good cry since this what I believe to be the second time that he's gone off the deep end when Contador didn't perform as he anticipated or should I say, wagered as he thought he would and lost.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
How can you continue to root for someone that you continuously accuse of being a liar and essentially call his character into question? You're quick to pat yourself on the back for all your b.s. prognostications.:rolleyes:

Relax bro, i'm just calling out the facts. i understand why he did it, i prob would do the same.

Some contador fans get so upset when you say something 'bad' about him, if you want to believe that after 1 day with no pain he directly decides to do the vuelta then i wish you gl in your world :eek:

When did i pat myself on the back btw? lol