• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 398 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
To put it simply, no.

If Kreuziger does TT better and won't be worse at Ventoux, it will be a question of what is more expensive: Contador's image or Kreuziger's higher finish spot. Still, no?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Contador's image?? What??

Image of captain, which possibly entail not optimal result for the team. If Kreuziger finishes higher, it will affect on Contador's captain status in the team, no?

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Funny, right into my sig haha

Ha ha me the troll, was it not you calling me the troll when I said all year Froome is better, and you said Alberto has had a dif schedule this year it is all for the TDF?, who was right? HA HA.:D:D

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Contador should go to Sky he can still be leader, Uran is leaving so a spot is free and Wiggo is done he is 33 now and Froome be doint the TDF. So if Contador joins and he is happy with doing Giro etc, why not? I can see Schlecks going back to Saxo that's why I bring it up. If Contador gets better and gets podium then for sure he will target the TDF again but what you think.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Contador should go to Sky he can still be leader, Uran is leaving so a spot is free and Wiggo is done he is 33 now and Froome be doint the TDF. So if Contador joins and he is happy with doing Giro etc, why not? I can see Schlecks going back to Saxo that's why I bring it up. If Contador gets better and gets podium then for sure he will target the TDF again but what you think.

Lol, don't kid them. Florecita and Miburo are on their limit without that. I bet they suffer not less than Contador at Ax 3. I had a pile of jokes after that stage but don't want to use them, because dedicated fans don't deserve such defeats.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-we-have-to-take-a-few-risks

Does he still think he is kidding anyone? He should stop hyping himself as everyone knows he simply doesn't have it this year.

This process of talking himself up and then failing to deliver has become annoying somewhere around April. Honestly is unfair to his fans as it raises their expectations, expectations i am starting to think, not even Contador thinks he can meet.

I just hope this is a Valverde 2012 like situation and not permanent :eek:

i think what it means he's just going to go and do as best as he can with whatever form he got. Not the old form like he wishes for. Otherwise what he is supposed to say?.. Yeah, my form is mediocre and I'm excited to come to TDF so I can be Froome doormat, while taken advantage of free sightseeing across the france with froome riding on the top of my head. That's my sole reason I'm here.:D:D

anyway, he will most likely to loose close to 4 minutes after Wednesday ITT from Froome (or more). Unless mother nature has a way of deciding how the ITT should end. Which most likely the same thing as hoping a horse will give birth to a monkey :D

But for fans like me, is more a question how he will bounce back? Because that's the only thing I can cheer on. To win it, is probably impossible if he is down like more than what he got now *and hearing how his interview wasn't very convincing*. So, nope. I'm not hoping for miracle, but I'm hoping for a fight back. And anything can happen in the span of 2 weeks.

And the silverlining is at least he won't get passed by froome in ITT. That would be a morale blow. So good luck to Valverde

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
TANK91 said:

na i don't think so. 0 tolerance policy. if contador wants to leave, he should go to movistar. Schelcks should go to astana, so vino can teach them how to descent like a real man :D

TANK91 said:

Alberto has a contract till the end of 2015. And to be honest I don't see Alberto ride on a 90% Anglo team especially since he's happy at saxo. By the way I'm not sure sky want him because he would become the Contador of 2009 again :rolleyes:

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Alberto will fly on the alpe :D

It's way more fun to be like jens. Why should I be realistic? Crazier things happened in the tour.

Who would have thought 3 years ago that Wiggins and Evans would be now tour-winners? And that Froome is now in the yellow jersey?

A broken clock is right 2 times a day, i'm gonna believe in that broken clock.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I was being genuine about a spot for Contador and no I don't mean as a domestique, why would he go Movistar Jelantik wont that be Quintan's team. I seriously love this guy climbing I think he would be a cert for second without AX-3, why send a 23 year old on the attack from so far surely he will pay for it, no. And yday he was attacking why the rest wheel suck, either commit to him or Valverde should attack. He is the revelation of the Tour for me, we knew he was good but not in a GT yet.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Ha ha me the troll, was it not you calling me the troll when I said all year Froome is better, and you said Alberto has had a dif schedule this year it is all for the TDF?, who was right? HA HA.:D:D

This forum should have an age limit of 12 years to become a member.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Miburo said:
Alberto will fly on the alpe :D

It's way more fun to be like jens. Why should I be realistic? Crazier things happened in the tour.

Who would have thought 3 years ago that Wiggins and Evans would be now tour-winners? And that Froome is now in the yellow jersey?

A broken clock is right 2 times a day, i'm gonna believe in that broken clock.

I think he will go better, but how better we don't know. Be honest guys do you think he can still podium? At the moment my top 3 is C.F, A.V, N.Q what about you guys? And delete your sig Miburo Garmin are killing the field now lol after yday.:D

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
xrayvision said:
This forum should have an age limit of 12 years to become a member.

Thing is many times I debate I still get called a troll, what was so wrong with saying imo Kreuziger should have went up the road. We all have opinions mate, same with you when you said I will save everyone's quotes when Alberto wins the TDF.

TANK91 said:
I was being genuine about a spot for Contador and no I don't mean as a domestique, why would he go Movistar Jelantik wont that be Quintan's team. I seriously love this guy climbing I think he would be a cert for second without AX-3, why send a 23 year old on the attack from so far surely he will pay for it, no. And yday he was attacking why the rest wheel suck, either commit to him or Valverde should attack. He is the revelation of the Tour for me, we knew he was good but not in a GT yet.

Alberto will certainly go to a spanish team when or if he leaves Saxo. He would never choose a 90% anglo team over a spanish team.

airstream said:
If Kreuziger does TT better and won't be worse at Ventoux, it will be a question of what is more expensive: Contador's image or Kreuziger's higher finish spot. Still, no?

I honestly think that he would have a problem relinquishing the team leadership over to Kreuziger. Kreuziger's hands are tied by his duties as 1st lieutenant to Contador. His record in ITT's isn't exactly stellar and even with a Contador at less than his best, Kreuziger may still find it difficult to create a favorable separation in the gc from Contador. Who is calling the shots for Saxo-Tinkoff: Contador or Mauduit(sp?). Of course Riis has just arrived so has he been pulling strings from far away and has arrived to get a better grip on the reigns?

Ultimately one has to ask is it worth humiliating your star rider by forcing him into a support role for a rider who's in peak form but unproven at the highest level of the Tour classification? I say the best decision would be to give him the same role that Quintana has with Movistar except more freedom to ride his own race all while leaving Contador to do the same. This would maximize the potential for a higher point tally at the Tour by the team and also increase their chances of success. Most importantly there exists a degree of respect between the 2 riders that is evident in their statements to the media. As long as their efforts are coordinated then all should be well. They may not win the Tour but I see this arrangement giving them best opportunity for success.

Of course the last time Contador had a teammate that was on form close/equal to his in a grand tour (Vuelta 2008/Leipheimer) he was less than accepting of the potential internal threat to his victory. Levi almost snatched the win away in the final ITT.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Contador still is in a very good position to get a podium place in the tour, and he won the vuelta last year. And you're already talking that Contador will be a domestique? :rolleyes:

Never heard about a bad year?

I of course was talking about in 2-4 years time, not now. At the moment Contador is the only shot Saxo has at winning a GT. Kreuziger is good, but he is never going to podium, let alone win. Somewhere during the next 2 weeks Kreuziger will lose lots of time, just like every GT he has ever done.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Le Baroudeur said:
There is always a chance in week three when your opponent is that skinny.

After reading THamilton's book and ferarri's push for weight loss, I finally understood why Lance looked like a skeleton at the TDF with checkbones virtually...bones. As Ferrari said, weight loss with power increase is the key to winning. Totally contrary to the natural course of the body. One key indicator for me that cycling is finally cleaning up is when I see healthy looking riders winning major tours.

TRENDING THREADS