• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 399 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
Lol, don't kid them. Florecita and Miburo are on their limit without that. I bet they suffer not less than Contador at Ax 3. I had a pile of jokes after that stage but don't want to use them, because dedicated fans don't deserve such defeats.

TANK91 said:
Thing is many times I debate I still get called a troll, what was so wrong with saying imo Kreuziger should have went up the road. We all have opinions mate, same with you when you said I will save everyone's quotes when Alberto wins the TDF.

Gobble gobble, too bland, someone pass the salt and mayo...

Parrulo said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-we-have-to-take-a-few-risks

Does he still think he is kidding anyone? He should stop hyping himself as everyone knows he simply doesn't have it this year.

This process of talking himself up and then failing to deliver has become annoying somewhere around April. Honestly is unfair to his fans as it raises their expectations, expectations i am starting to think, not even Contador thinks he can meet.

I just hope this is a Valverde 2012 like situation and not permanent :eek:

I surely didn't see any hyping in there; very conservative and downbeat. He will TRY. Well of course he will Try, it's who he is. If he wasn't willing to try he might as well pack his bags and go home.

ITT will tell everyone just where he is, I'm not hopeful :(

TANK91 said:
I was being genuine about a spot for Contador and no I don't mean as a domestique, why would he go Movistar Jelantik wont that be Quintan's team. I seriously love this guy climbing I think he would be a cert for second without AX-3, why send a 23 year old on the attack from so far surely he will pay for it, no. And yday he was attacking why the rest wheel suck, either commit to him or Valverde should attack. He is the revelation of the Tour for me, we knew he was good but not in a GT yet.

Maybe you didnt know he was good in gts.

Him climbing with Contador and Murito in last years Vuelta, miles ahead of Froome (tired) and Gesink and talansky, moreno in the 2nd week of the Vuelta showed he was the real deal in gts.

Publicus said:
I'm very interested to see how the ITT goes on Wednesday. It's not pancake flat as everyone seems to suggest and I think AC can limit his losses and move up in the overall (assuming he's not completely bluffing about his form improving which obviously could be the case).

Where has he said his form was improving? The most encouraging quote I saw was something like paraphrasing here 'my legs were better than the day before' which isn't saying a whole lot!

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Angliru said:
I honestly think that he would have a problem relinquishing the team leadership over to Kreuziger. Kreuziger's hands are tied by his duties as 1st lieutenant to Contador. His record in ITT's isn't exactly stellar and even with a Contador at less than his best, Kreuziger may still find it difficult to create a favorable separation in the gc from Contador. Who is calling the shots for Saxo-Tinkoff: Contador or Mauduit(sp?). Of course Riis has just arrived so has he been pulling strings from far away and has arrived to get a better grip on the reigns?

Ultimately one has to ask is it worth humiliating your star rider by forcing him into a support role for a rider who's in peak form but unproven at the highest level of the Tour classification? I say the best decision would be to give him the same role that Quintana has with Movistar except more freedom to ride his own race all while leaving Contador to do the same. This would maximize the potential for a higher point tally at the Tour by the team and also increase their chances of success. Most importantly there exists a degree of respect between the 2 riders that is evident in their statements to the media. As long as their efforts are coordinated then all should be well. They may not win the Tour but I see this arrangement giving them best opportunity for success.

Of course the last time Contador had a teammate that was on form close/equal to his in a grand tour (Vuelta 2008/Leipheimer) he was less than accepting of the potential internal threat to his victory. Levi almost snatched the win away in the final ITT.

Don't get me wrong recent history suggests Kreuziger has a bad day, but one cant say he was always a mega talent maybe this year he is proving it, AGR win this year and do a good GC will tell more. One thing or sure is he can be a big head he still believes he is GC rider when many think he is not so lets see maybe he will do well. I have been impressed he has not looked in trouble once. He also though he was a bigger rider than Nibali two.:D

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Maybe you didnt know he was good in gts.

Him climbing with Contador and Murito in last years Vuelta, miles ahead of Froome (tired) and Gesink and talansky, moreno in the 2nd week of the Vuelta showed he was the real deal in gts.

I should be more specific he is the revalation GC wise, in the Vuelta he did not do GC. Quintana is the second strongest guy in the race. Id love it to be him and Froome mano o mano. Rodriguez is the disappointment for me he should have went with Fuglsang and Martin. He as possibly made the biggest mistake possible with his carear, should have done Giro/Vuelta he is 34 now. Maybe he back it off for the Vuelta?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
ay, ay.. why we are immediately saying that kreuziger should be the leader now? Where's the faith? :confused: I know it's hard to have a faith seeing how contador's form in the pyrenees and his recent interview or twitter isn't convincing at all. We won't know either if kreuziger ended up chasing porte, he could end up him being up in GC and the next day he could have ended like porte on sunday. Maybe for now the current scenario is not bad for kreuziger since he kept his time closer to froome and contador. Wednesday ITT we shall see who's leg reign supreme, kreuziger or contador? :D.

b/c second place isn't that far from their time either. And with porte failing down to deep ocean somewhere, second place is still up for grab.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Cimber said:
Btw it really annoyes that Movistar and Saxo didnt ride togetehr against from yesterday. Movistar seemed more busy riding for 2nd in the GC than actually going all or nothing for the yellow. At that area COntador is different and we will see Contador going for all or nothing in the Alps at some point. But I just fear taht Movistar will help Sky reel him back in, unless Contador already has a nice gap to Valverde and Quintana at that point. A real shame that they all dont only focus on yellow.

Movistar run out of a gas, eventually. Saxo can't push too much because they would most likely make contador dropped. He was in a fragile state currently. Froome was lucky, because contador and purito were no where in their form. Do you think a yellow jersey can defend his jersey alone with 130km to go, if Purito and contador were in form? I don't think so, even if your name is Froomeborg. Movistar can't do it because only quintana has the leg and the form to match Froome and Valverde isn't. So valverde kept using Quintana like a rabbit all day long. If they did 1-2 attack with other GC contender contributing, maybe. Like Evans said.. bizzarre to have a yellow jersey being isolated for a long time. Unfortunately, no one capitalized to drop froome. But the consolation prize is at least valverde has his shoe mark on porte's rear :D

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
there are 2 very good reasons why you wont see contador going to sky

1) he's had a doping conviction. Sky have a 0% tolerance policy. It would be against their own policy to hire him

2) Froome is stronger right now and also a Brit (technically). They dont need another leadership battle

so even if Contador wanted to go to Sky it's just not possible

Kender said:
there are 2 very good reasons why you wont see contador going to sky

1) he's had a doping conviction. Sky have a 0% tolerance policy. It would be against their own policy to hire him

2) Froome is stronger right now and also a Brit (technically). They dont need another leadership battle

so even if Contador wanted to go to Sky it's just not possible

I think the fact that he has zero interest in leaving Saxo is the best reason why you won't see Contador looking to join Sky.

Jelantik said:
Movistar run out of a gas, eventually. Saxo can't push too much because they would most likely make contador dropped. He was in a fragile state currently. Froome was lucky, because contador and purito were no where in their form. Do you think a yellow jersey can defend his jersey alone with 130km to go, if Purito and contador were in form? I don't think so, even if your name is Froomeborg. Movistar can't do it because only quintana has the leg and the form to match Froome and Valverde isn't. So valverde kept using Quintana like a rabbit all day long. If they did 1-2 attack with other GC contender contributing, maybe. Like Evans said.. bizzarre to have a yellow jersey being isolated for a long time. Unfortunately, no one capitalized to drop froome. But the consolation prize is at least valverde has his shoe mark on porte's rear :D

Im a bit surprised that Froome even bothered to chase/respond to Quitana's accelerations. Im even more surprised that Valverde didnt once try to counter-attack once Froome reeled in Quitana. Or Mollema, Ten Dam or anyone else for that matter. It seemed like a wasted opportunity which i think they all will regret soon (ie Wednesday)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
Im a bit surprised that Froome even bothered to chase/respond to Quitana's accelerations. Im even more surprised that Valverde didnt once try to counter-attack once Froome reeled in Quitana. Or Mollema, Ten Dam or anyone else for that matter. It seemed like a wasted opportunity which i think they all will regret soon (ie Wednesday)

ow, we are all know that wed the inevitable will happen. Froome is going to end up at least 4 minutes ahead of the closest rival. Unless something like wiggins happened to him. *which less likely* Valverde better be doing some great TT of his life, other wise it'll be lonely road to the finish line for him :) *since froome could pass him*

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Publicus said:
I think the fact that he has zero interest in leaving Saxo is the best reason why you won't see Contador looking to join Sky.

Riis is the best man to manage him anyway, provided Contador is performing ;)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
TANK91 said:
I think he will go better, but how better we don't know. Be honest guys do you think he can still podium? At the moment my top 3 is C.F, A.V, N.Q what about you guys? And delete your sig Miburo Garmin are killing the field now lol after yday.:D

valverde? i think contador can take his spot. so it's possible to be top three for contador *sorry i'm an optimist* Quintana, yes he seems to be the dark horse. So far he matched Froome in the mountain. If movistar stops using him like a rabbit, he would have been closer to Froome.

Can't see how Contador can do better than Kreuziger tomorrow honestly...I must say I'm a bit puzzled by the way it's unfolding. It's not 2009 anymore, ok, but where are the Vv, Purito, Bertie of the 2012 Vuelta? The only one who's at his expected level is Froome for some reason. Bad news for the interest of the race and for us...

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Thing is many times I debate I still get called a troll, what was so wrong with saying imo Kreuziger should have went up the road. We all have opinions mate, same with you when you said I will save everyone's quotes when Alberto wins the TDF.

First of all, I never said Berto would win the tour, in fact, I never predicted a winner. What I said was, it could be funny to save all the predictions and post them when the tour is over. So again, stop putting words in peoples mouths and act as an adult.

And yes, you are acting like a 12 year old with your insane comments and choice of words, let me remind you.... hahahaha and then ha ha ha ha look at me, I was right and you were wrong.. ha ha ha ha...

Pathetic, and not to mention childish!!

Ps. you can spare me the attempt to justify or turn what you said around,

webvan said:
Can't see how Contador can do better than Kreuziger tomorrow honestly...I must say I'm a bit puzzled by the way it's unfolding. It's not 2009 anymore, ok, but where are the Vv, Purito, Bertie of the 2012 Vuelta? The only one who's at his expected level is Froome for some reason. Bad news for the interest of the race and for us...

Yea I agree. Valverde doesn't seem too bad though but Contador and Rodriguez are just ****ty.

I was looking forward to this race to see how Froome and Contador compare.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
webvan said:

Some would say it´s be course he´s riding clean now, like the Froomedog suggests.
But I´m not buying it, clearly he have been way below usual standard the entire season, maybe it´s the way Riis want´s him to prepare that is outdated and not sufficient, the old school, or it could be a physical health problem, it´s like he just can´t peak and rides on 90% of max. Very strange, but I´m sure he will come back at his best, maybe not this season but the next.

LaFlorecita said:
Yea I agree. Valverde doesn't seem too bad though but Contador and Rodriguez are just ****ty.

I was looking forward to this race to see how Froome and Contador compare.

Long way to go yet but Contador did not sound too optimistic about the TT. I would be surprised if his TT was worse than Kreuziger. Even though Kreuziger is riding well, he was a better TT rider when he was younger. But if there was ever a time when he could do a good one it could be now because he he has looked much more stable in the mountains than he usually does. I think this may indicate that Kreuziger is maturing as a GT rider but many are expecting him to collapse in the third week. We will see.

xrayvision said:
Some would say it´s be course he´s riding clean now, like the Froomedog suggests.
But I´m not buying it, clearly he have been way below usual standard the entire season, maybe it´s the way Riis want´s him to prepare that is outdated and not sufficient, the old school, or it could be a physical health problem, it´s like he just can´t peak and rides on 90% of max. Very strange, but I´m sure he will come back at his best, maybe not this season but the next.

It's not just Bertie though, Vv and Purito are not at their 2012 Vuelta level, I'm never one to believe in crackpot theories but it's hard not to be a bit "perplexed".

And yeah, Froome's comment was a pretty thinky veiled accusation, I'm surprised it didn't make headlines like "Froome says he's winning because Contador can't dope anymore"!!!

TRENDING THREADS