• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 412 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
why is riis saying this? They already said they would do something in pyranees and did squat. There is no advantage to saying it. If they will really do it then well see when they do it.

I'm with you on this one. Don't talk it, if you aren't going to walk it.

I just hope he'll still try and win this tour.

This. I want to see him leave it ALL on the road to get victory, because I'm not in any way confident that Valverde or Team Belkin will do so (they both seem quite content with preserving their current position instead of contending for the overall victory (which I suspect Sky is counting on to help them neutralize any Saxo attacks)).

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
Yes I'm serious. Attack is indeed the wrong word, there hasn't really been the opportunity since his meltdown on AX3.

But on what climb has he looked good???? There were 5 climbs on the next stage. On which one did he look good? He closed gaps to Froome, looked worn out and sent Roman to the front to control it so he wouldn't have to cover moves again.

If you've seen any spark of the old Berto in this entire race, please point it out to me because I've missed it. And he is still in a position to podium; pure class that one.

He needs Legs for Sunday...we shall see. If he has legs it will be awesome :)

You wrote down the magic words and can't see them? There were 5 climbs on the next stage, with lots of attacks, brutal tempo and he was able to be there and defend his position, and was able to respond every attack.
He/they said he peaked for the third week. What do you expect? This is not the Vuelta, this is a build up season after last year, with lot of races and lot of km's. You want attacks from him? Sunday my friend. If we don't count Ax3 he is in a good position, but that moutain happened. He will be much better than this, and we will still see a Froome in panic.

One can only hope for the interest of the race that things get shuffled around, but frankly, when was the last time that happened? It's pretty rare for a racer stronger in the first week to get beaten in the third...1989 comes to mind, 1996 to some extent, 2008...

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:
I will be watching with bated breath :) Praying for Berto with form :)

me too.

The good thing is that he will only improve until the end of the race... based in his previous levels...

And we need to hope that Froome will decrease....

The midia is writing that the third week is the hardest... so there is a little hope with the cross of the two 'facts' above.

But I will be happy if he (AC) lose it giving 100% in the road, not only trying the podium. Something like Alp Huez in 2011 or Fuente De in 2012.

But in the other side, AC points will not count.. so, it is possible to happen what 'the hitch' already wrote here... Alberto would be the 'horse of troia' in froomes strength, lauching Romain to a good position in the podium/win?!

Riis already said that Romain did not matter in terms of GC... this must be a hint!

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
@Ann_arien: @jack_the_doctor @contador_notebk Can't be sure, the English translator covered it, but at some point, the interviewer said: 'Alberto, you are three minutes down' He grinned self deprecatingly and said 'Almost four.'

:'(

It was because it's to easy to get back. There is no challenge.

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
darwin553 said:
So are you saying that after he has come back from his doping ban, he has become even more popular? Is that possible? Should that be possible?

darwin553 said:
Only the most ardent fans think it is possible, I am a realist and realise that Armstrong didn't make any gains in his Tweeter followers after January's announcement.

I get the impression this troll isn't even aware that Alberto was sanctioned by CAS for Involuntary Ingestion of a prohibited substance in a contaminated supplement. Your suggested parallels are contra to section rules. Despite what anybody thinks, or their favourite NC shills suggest, these are the facts, and the only reason he was allowed to resign for Saxo Tinkoff.

darwin553 said:
This is a question to self-affixated AC fans - does it make easier to forgive him and continue to support him despite his past given who his main competitor is now?

Lets rephrase your flame-bait shall we...

-------------

I have to say I'm a little perturbed at the moderation teams apparent inability to distinguish between fact and circumstance in adjudication and it's toleration of shills and trolls on the forum.

vcampbell said:
Are you serious? I mean, there were two(!) moutain stages, in one of them he said, that he got a bad day, also Sky rode a brutal tempo. Only Quitana attacked then, but only on the penultimate climb, when there was a slower tempo.
On the second stage they were able to drop Porte, but it was impossible to hold a gap against Froome in a 30km long non technical descend.
The deal is, that this Tour de France sucks, just like most of them in the past few years. A few moutain stages because it is needed, but nothing serious. There is no place to attack, it's not the Giro, where a rider has 400 chance in 3 week.
Wait until Sunday.

...with a reported headwind!

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
@Ann_arien: @jack_the_doctor @contador_notebk Can't be sure, the English translator covered it, but at some point, the interviewer said: 'Alberto, you are three minutes down' He grinned self deprecatingly and said 'Almost four.'

:'(

This is the reason why I'm a fan. And I believe Berto is earning more fans as his career goes on. As he says "Second place is NO GOOD!". I have no doubt he will ride his @55 off to WIN.

VENGE Alberto!

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Publicus said:
Yet again you project too much. How i feel about the two, as athletes, has nothing to do with the other. I dont dislike Froome because I like Contador or vice versa. As for Froome's performance, all I can say is it looks other worldly--especially in light of his prior talent levels.

It's not about you particularly, but when 3-4 guys write 'hopefully he crashes', 'let's wait him being busted', 'he is nothing', 'he is a joke' it should be considered adequate reaction. It is fanatism which deserves only a censure

airstream said:
It's not about you particularly, but when 3-4 guys write 'hopefully he crashes', 'let's wait him being busted', 'he is nothing', 'he is a joke' it should be considered adequate reaction. It is fanatism which deserves only a censure

These are extremes to which you encourage by referencing them as if they are of some importance to a civil discussion. What is to be gained?

airstream said:

With the exception of hoping he crashes, the other reactions, in light of his leap in performance, all seem reasonable and not born out of hatred of Froome or love of Contador. So while not directed at any of my comments, in particular, generally painting Contador fans in the manner that you have on this particular basis is fallacious.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
I agree. I can't see how or where their relationship may have soured over time. I recall during 2008 at the Vuelta them sharing a laugh at a service station during the final stage. I follow both riders fairly closely and I'm certain that if there was truly any bad blood between them that I'd have heard about it. I don't believe it exists. Especially not based on anything that happened in last year's Vuelta. I can understand Valverde being disappointed in how his chance to win was essentially ended by Sky's unsportsman like decision to continue with their aggressions when the ride leader was down.

How about Astana 2008 Vuelta pulls when Valverde went to give his jacket to his DS? He lost all chances for podium back then.

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
sulgpallur said:
Tinkov twitter continues

I'm going to buy a dog,name it Froome,and will beat him up every morning and evening.Then will keep him out of food for 3 weeks.Revenge #Tdf

being a full idiot (behind being a self made russian billionaire thief like all post communism billionaires) will not help contador's team winning more supporters. would be better if he shuts up

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
EnacheV said:
being a full idiot (behind being a self made russian billionaire thief like all post communism billionaires) will not help contador's team winning more supporters. would be better if he shuts up

Haha I think his posts are hilarious, the guy got some humor :D

airstream said:
How about Astana 2008 Vuelta pulls when Valverde went to give his jacket to his DS? He lost all chances for podium back then.

That was his own error and one similar to many losses of focus that he's had that cost him higher gc positions in the past. I think he's learned from those errors and has become a better grand tour gc rider as a result. I doubt that he took that personal considering they were both fighting for the gc. That situation is far from being the same as what happened with Sky while he was in the leader's jersey at the Vuelta.

TRENDING THREADS