• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 420 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sky's problem is they only have one method of attack, set pace at the front for Froome/Wiggins (as in last year) and try and ride other contenders out of it before Froome takes off. Contador showed today as he did in the Vuelta last year on a similar kind of stage that he can attack and take time. It will be interesting to see how things fair out tomorrow. I don't think Froome is able to attack far out like that, I could well be wrong yet. Also the fact that Sky are losing guys at the moment is another fact. Saxo team look particularly strong, Kreuziger going well in the mountain as it Rogers while Roche, Tossato and Bennati have been very strong at the front in the flatter stages setting pace and sheltering Contador. I just hope they haven't blown too much energy today. Maybe Froome could throw a spanner in the works tomorrow and have a go but with Ventoux sunday id be suprized. Tomorrow could well just be a day of shadow boxing.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Publicus said:
Definitely a great read. It looks like it wasn't just Mick Rogers' idea:

Nicholas Roche recounted how it went down: “I said to Michael, ‘let’s do something.’ Mick looked back, and Alberto gave the nod. Then Michael said, ‘let’s go!’ And off we went. It was something that was decided in three seconds.”

Seeing the gap, Contador was chattering into the race radio, encouraging his teammates to drive the wedge, “Venga! Venga!”

That's the way to do it, don't take time to think about the risk of it failing or expanding too much energy. Just take the race book, throw it out, and GO! That's the way to beat Sky. Be aggressive, be ready to take the opportunity when it presents itself, and be unpredictable. :)

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
That's the way to do it, don't take time to think about the risk of it failing or expanding too much energy. Just take the race book, throw it out, and GO! That's the way to beat Sky. Be aggressive, be ready to take the opportunity when it presents itself, and be unpredictable. :)

Yes!

Today I became a fan of Contador's. Total bandwagon, I realize, but he showed penache and class enough for several men.

When in doubt, attack! Then measure the situation and keep driving it.

A top GC contender who is known as a climber attacking with the big Belgians and Dutch on the wind-swept flats. A true classic today!

AND we were treated to both Sagan and Cavendish making the final group. Kudos to both of them and thieir teams for that bit of race savvy.

TheBean said:
Yes!

Today I became a fan of Contador's. Total bandwagon, I realize, but he showed penache and class enough for several men.

A top GC contender who is known as a climber attacking with the big Belgians and Dutch on the wind-swept flats. A true classic today!

AND we were treated to both Sagan and Cavendish making the final group. Kudos to both of them and thieir teams for that bit of race savvy.

You are a little later but welcome to the big family! :D

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
it was a great showing today by saxo boys. Now I'm a little worry, I hope they won't be steamrolled by sky on sunday.. It looked like they did richie porte kinda thing, ride to the limit. Tomorrow will be a dangerous stage. Movistar will pay Belkin back, for sure.

Jelantik said:
it was a great showing today by saxo boys. Now I'm a little worry, I hope they won't be steamrolled by sky on sunday.. It looked like they did richie porte kinda thing, ride to the limit. Tomorrow will be a dangerous stage. Movistar will pay Belkin back, for sure.

They will be tired, but pumped up with their ride today. If they are in any shape they should try it again tomorrow, Sky is fragile right now :)

Hopefully Movistar and Belkin will assist in depleting Sky doms and Froome will be isolated early on Ventoux. Maybe his seemingly limitless physical reserves are getting depleted and he will crack somewhere next week :) He has all the tactical sense of a minor cat 3 rider, sooner or later he will do something really stupid. I said before the race started that he would overestimate himself, his hubris would put him in a position to lose. It can still happen!

Saxo are in it to win it.....Go Saxo, Go Berto!! Cycling Gods give Alberto the Legs of 2011 Giro please :)

Any news on whether there was a food fight at dinner? I'd love to know how that went with both teams eating next to each other!

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Jelantik said:
@ TANK91:
alberto wants to say: How's that mapple?? :D:D

won't even get to the podium huh?? Dang, he kicked the door now... GAME ON:D:D

Yet again just STOP it all I hear is you keep saying I said he would not podium, after AX-3 I said he MAY NOT PODIUM, which is reasonable, no? He lost 1'45" on a mountain stage with no GT in his legs, he as never lost that much so don't go overboard now. Also Kreuziger is well in this race and is just as strong so no if Alberto does not podium I will not take credit as I did not say it go through my posts.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
TheBean said:
Yes!

You are only a bandwagon fan if you immediately abandon Contador if/when things go poorly for him again. Real fans cheer their favourites (whomever they may be) through good times and bad, bandwagon fans jump off at the first sign of trouble.

TANK91 said:
Yet again just STOP it all I hear is you keep saying I said he would not podium, after AX-3 I said he MAY NOT PODIUM, which is reasonable, no? He lost 1'45" on a mountain stage with no GT in his legs, he as never lost that much so don't go overboard now. Also Kreuziger is well in this race and is just as strong so no if Alberto does not podium I will not take credit as I did not say it go through my posts.

Of course Alberto has lost 1'45" or more before.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
They will be tired, but pumped up with their ride today. If they are in any shape they should try it again tomorrow, Sky is fragile right now :)

Hopefully Movistar and Belkin will assist in depleting Sky doms and Froome will be isolated early on Ventoux. Maybe his seemingly limitless physical reserves are getting depleted and he will crack somewhere next week :) He has all the tactical sense of a minor cat 3 rider, sooner or later he will do something really stupid. I said before the race started that he would overestimate himself, his hubris would put him in a position to lose. It can still happen!

Saxo are in it to win it.....Go Saxo, Go Berto!! Cycling Gods give Alberto the Legs of 2011 Giro please :)

Any news on whether there was a food fight at dinner? I'd love to know how that went with both teams eating next to each other!
Thats not possible Carols,and you know it.:)If he will win it ,it will be through his sheer willpower and thats Great:)

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Maybe good news?

According to Claus Elming (reporter at danish TV) rumour has it that Contador had forgotten to eat on stage 8, and is possibly alot stronger in the mountains than that stage would show. If he is, then he might actually be able to ride away from Froome. A Contador victory tomorrow, and maybe 45 seconds could mean the world for this tour. If he takes around 40 seconds on each of the remaining stages he will end up winning. BUT thats a lot.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
notrolfsorensen said:
According to Claus Elming (reporter at danish TV) rumour has it that Contador had forgotten to eat on stage 8, and is possibly alot stronger in the mountains than that stage would show. If he is, then he might actually be able to ride away from Froome. A Contador victory tomorrow, and maybe 45 seconds could mean the world for this tour. If he takes around 40 seconds on each of the remaining stages he will end up winning. BUT thats a lot.

I don't know if he can ride away from Froome, it needs to be AC from the old days and even then...Froome is really strong.

But Contador has an ace namely Kreuziger and that's the reason why i think contador can still win it. Also Rogers can still be used (unlikely but still)

I believe the not-eating thing though. Based on the ITT contador should have done way better on Ax-3

Miburo said:
I don't know if he can ride away from Froome, it needs to be AC from the old days and even then...Froome is really strong.

But Contador has an ace namely Kreuziger and that's the reason why i think contador can still win it. Also Rogers can still be used (unlikely but still)

I believe the not-eating thing though. Based on the ITT contador should have done way better on Ax-3

Yes I believe it too. That's why I think he'll be within 30s of Froome on Ventoux.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:

I was never a fan of Kreuziger, and also not happy when I read that Saxo signed him, but I'm really impressed. He is super strong, and always looking for Alberto. I always thought, that he is someone who is more selfish, but he showing every stage that he is a perfect teammate. I don't know Contadors opinion, but I think he also really happy with Kreuziger.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Yes I believe it too. That's why I think he'll be within 30s of Froome on Ventoux.

I too believe the same. He cant suddenly do very badly in a climb that suits him.

30s is too much. i believe that either they will reach the line together, or AC will put a descent time. iirc, Ventoux has some nasty percentages in small sections. not ideal for froome.

murali said:
I too believe the same. He cant suddenly do very badly in a climb that suits him.

30s is too much. i believe that either they will reach the line together, or AC will put a descent time. iirc, Ventoux has some nasty percentages in small sections. not ideal for froome.

Nah if Froome goes full genius Berto will lose some time I guess

LaFlorecita said:
@NicholasGates1: @olegtinkov Hey Oleg it's your driver from Australia,Im doing a TV show and would love to call you.TDF win coming:)

:eek: does he know something we don't?

He doesn't have a clue. Only if Froome cracks big time, Alberto has a chance. This would mean 4 minutes combined from the three mountain finish stages left or one big flop a la Hesyedal in Giro after the TT. But to be honest Froome just have to follow his wheels if he's smart (he didn't prove that until now...)

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Johan Bruyneel ‏@JohanBruyneel 15h
And it seems like @albertocontador is getting in his warrior spirit he's usually in during the second half of any Grand Tour.

Johan Bruyneel ‏@JohanBruyneel 15h
Plus his team is strong and motivated. Plus @alejanvalverde will be out for revenge after today. Lots of fireworks in the making...

TRENDING THREADS