• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 430 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Contador even says so today. His goal is still the same, and he doesn't care if he finishes 2nd or 10th. He wants to win. He'll go ballistic in the Alps.

In a clip after the fuente de stage Contador said "second place is no good" :D

He should send up as many guys as possible. It's time Paulinho does something, hopefully he saved up all his strenght for this week.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Finn84 said:
64,5 to go when they start Alpe d'Huez for the first time on Thursday. Probably his place to go.

I don't know about that, he should definitely go in the descent afterwards but he needs to have a teammate upfront for the flat.

But i think the next stage is more suited. I believe Contador will go crazy in that one.

PROFIL.png

Like Ryo says, go on the madeleine and have teammates upfront. If he can pull that off and Froome doesn't follow him and stays with Porte. It's a big if of course but if this happens, then you never know :D

Send Kreuziger, Hernandez and Paulinho to the break on the glandon, hopefully movistar will send Costa, Valverde and Amador.

Go balistic on the last part of the Madelleine to drop Froomes domestiques.

Alonside Quintana and Mollema they make Lo squalo proud on the descent by bombing it and drop Froome.

Ride into the sunshine.

Profit?

I think this is all wishfull thinking, guys. :eek: Alien and Co. are on another level. Sandbagging aside, there's no way Porte's getting shelled before the last climb.

And even if he does, Froome could probably just TT the whole stage and still put minutes into them.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Contador is crazy, but not so much. Having attacked at the Vuelta he didn't take a risk to lose a podium. Having attacked at Telegraphe he had nothing to lose. To attack from 100 km to go is to present a podium place to someone. To give away a podium is to let down team effort I think. Again, attack makes sense only if he is equal to Froome on a particular day for at least which is almost impossible based on what we've seen so far in the Tour. Belkin won't help him because Mollema is absolutely happy with his 2nd place and would gladly agree if the Tour would finish yesterday.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
Contador is crazy, but not so much. Having attacked at the Vuelta he didn't take a risk to lose a podium. Having attacked at Telegraphe he had nothing to lose. To attack from 100 km to go is to present a podium place to someone. To give away a podium is to let down team effort I think. Again, attack makes sense only if he is equal to Froome on a particular day for at least which is almost impossible based on what we've seen so far in the Tour. Belkin won't help him because Mollema is absolutely happy with his 2nd place and would gladly agree if the Tour would finish yesterday.

Yes he had. He could have waited and attacked on the alpe to try and get the podium. It's true though that Belkin won't help

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Send Kreuziger, Hernandez and Paulinho to the break on the glandon, hopefully movistar will send Costa, Valverde and Amador.

Alonside Quintana and Mollema they make Lo squalo proud on the descent by bombing it and drop Froome.

Ride into the sunshine.

Profit?

Sounds like a plan, might fail, but who cares. At least you would go down fighting. Which is much better then bowing out and riding the rest of the race quiet and boring to maintain a podium spot.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
But i think the next stage is more suited. I believe Contador will go crazy in that one.

PROFIL.png

Like Ryo says, go on the madeleine and have teammates upfront. If he can pull that off and Froome doesn't follow him and stays with Porte. It's a big if of course but if this happens, then you never know :D

Parrulo said:

I like this,its crazy and he will probably fail,but we'll get interesting stage and there is always a chance.And who the fvck cares about 2nd place if you are 7 time GT champion:eek:

RAIN:p

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Thing is guys you say what if Froome leaves it too Porte, im pretty sure Porte will bridge with Froome and go with Contador. Im sure you'd agree its unlikely to happen twice Porte showed yday he was stronger than anyone but Quintana and Froome.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Feel free to aknowledge my cycling knowledge superiority whenever you want ryo.

Whenever your ready.;)

Ha ha classic Hitch, what I would say though isit was not taht hard to predict it was 1 climb stage and it was not like Kennaugh got caught out that day he crashed, and Porte well he proved yday he is at least 3rd strongest.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Cimber said:
I actually think that will happen. He doesnt care for 2nd. He rather go out with a bang. And Kreuziger can then try to ride more conservatively and maybe make the podium (or top 5 at least) which gives some much needed WT points for the team

I think from a team/sponsor perspective a likely suicide attack by Contador would still give the team sponsors a lot more exposure than riding passively for a podium spot. Contador gets the team exposure, Kreuziger can get them some points. And by some miracle it actually works...

I hope Bertie will go all or nothing on the stage to Grand Bornard. Saxo to rip the peloton to pieces on Glandon and Madeleine and then attack with the likes of Alberto, Andy, Rolland, Nieve, Cadel, Talansky, Navarro. :D

Edit: Oh, and Andy takes the win.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
shinoda13 said:
I hope Bertie will go all or nothing on the stage to Grand Bornard. Saxo to rip the peloton to pieces on Glandon and Madeleine and then attack with the likes of Alberto, Andy, Rolland, Nieve, Cadel, Talansky, Navarro. :D

don't forget to invite all but Froome in the breakaway.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
"It's true that my aim was to win the race but it's also true that the leader is on a level above everyone else and in a face-to-face battle, it's impossible to beat him," Contador said. "But there's a hard and tactically complicated week of racing ahead of us. And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."
"It's true that there is a stage where I want to see what happens, it could be a day to try and look for an opportunity," he said enigmatically. "There is a very important stage and in a week's time, you'll know which one it is."
:)
-------

Jul 21, 2010
www.cyclingquotes.com
Yup. I think that statement bodes very well for the last week.

No doubt that the Great One will try something great. Ride or die trying :)

Not like Belkin et al, Fuglsang, and the rest, frantically fighting to maintain a spot in top ten...

Miburo said:
I don't know about that, he should definitely go in the descent afterwards but he needs to have a teammate upfront for the flat.

PROFIL.png

A day closer to the Alpes, and still forecast says the same. Rain Gap. TT maybe. Alpe d huez, thunderstorm. Le Grand Bornand, Thunder!!

Contador needs to be patient tomorrow though. Pray sky do the work all stage and are down a few men. Send Kreuziger, maybe. Or attack on descent since its wet. But Manse is not steep enough to try anything and people will remember what happened last time anyhow.

shinoda13 said:

I hope Saxo does no peloton ripping. Every ounce of strengh they use has to be an attack to force sky to work.

TRENDING THREADS