• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 530 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the sceptic said:
interesting to see what happens tomorrow..

I hope Kwia cracks on lanciano, cause I dont think Berto will get enough time on that wall. He needs like 30 seconds more at least.
Saxo just need to make it hard. It would help if they had another weapon other than Kreuziger to go earlier, try a fuente de type thing. Or make deal with Movistar that they will both send domestiques up so that Nairo and Alberto have someone to bridge to but teams don't do that no more:(

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
This Contador might be '10 or '11 level. Keep in mind that he wasn't godlike in march in that time. But ok that's too early to really judge.

Better than last year, that's certain :)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
http://www.steephill.tv/players/you...oard=tirreno-adriatico&id=Q0AONkTWUz8&yr=2014

kreuziger made a gesture to get contador to his wheel. (4.17-4.20).

Either Contador was on his limit and decided that taking time from Kwiat it's too big of a task, or he has decided to save his leg for stage win all along. Either way, I'm curious what would happen tomorrow? Is TinkoffSaxo planning to take the overall tomorrow? Kwiat was 20's faster than alberto at Algarve ITT.

Jelantik said:
http://www.steephill.tv/players/you...oard=tirreno-adriatico&id=Q0AONkTWUz8&yr=2014

kreuziger made a gesture to get contador to his wheel. (4.17-4.20).

Either Contador was on his limit and decided that taking time from Kwiat it's too big of a task, or he has decided to save his leg for stage win all along. Either way, I'm curious what would happen tomorrow? Is TinkoffSaxo planning to take the overall tomorrow? Kwiat was 20's faster than alberto at Algarve ITT.

The Algarve ITT was a little longer though. I think Contador will lose about 15s. So he needs at least 31s on Kwiatkowski tomorrow. It will be difficult but I'm sure he'll try.

If only he'd attacked 200m earlier ;) again he takes 10s in a very short distance.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
The Algarve ITT was a little longer though. I think Contador will lose about 15s. So he needs at least 31s on Kwiatkowski tomorrow. It will be difficult but I'm sure he'll try.

If only he'd attacked 200m earlier ;) again he takes 10s in a very short distance.

We can also say that Algarve ITT didn't come after racing some two days of 200+km. I hope that would make a difference how Kwiat will perform. On paper he might need 30s, but fatigue must play a role for everyone at the last stage. Cross my finger, hoping that ITT won't decide the winner.

Pentacycle said:
Finally Contador has realized attacks from 5-6k out won't work anymore, and it pays off. Let's see where this ends :)

This was a weak *** mtf. No altitude, not much to tire people out before the final climb other than the distance, 5% average for the first 5km, 4th day of the race with the last 2 being sprints, of course he didn't attack 5-6k out.

Fuente de disproves the notion that attacking 5-6k out wont work. And last years gts froome floored everyone with attacks from that distance or further twice, and in the vuelta, Horner's biggest gap came from that stage where he also attacked everyone way way out.

The Hitch said:
This was a weak *** mtf. No altitude, not much to tire people out before the final climb other than the distance, 5% average for the first 5km, 4th day of the race with the last 2 being sprints, of course he didn't attack 5-6k out.

Fuente de disproves the notion that attacking 5-6k out wont work. And last years gts froome floored everyone with attacks from that distance or further twice, and in the vuelta, Horner's biggest gap came from that stage where he also attacked everyone way way out.

Yes but this is a stage race (and in March you can't have high altitude finishes), not a Grand Tour, so all the contenders are fresh. Hence time gaps would not have been significantly major even on a harder climb. Although, in the final analysis, perhaps it was unwise to have sent Roman up the road so early. In that situation Contador was forced to ride the others' wheels, whereas had none of the major GC teams had a man up the road, the fireworks would necessarily have started earlier on the climb, which could have led to bigger time gaps at the finish and an even more ferocious battle.

It seems that Quintana, Porte and Contador were the strongest, with Scarponi right behind and probably Kreuziger, who was admirably resistant in the end. Perhaps this is another reason to not have 'sacrificed' him so soon.

At any rate, tomorrow's stage should be delightful.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Compared to Prati di Tivo last year this is a better Contador. And not only physically.

But it doesn't make sense comparing MTF's anyways, I'm just glad that Alberto's found his winning ways again. :cool:

The Hitch said:
We need a list to appreciate it.

Every WT stage race except Eneco? Damn he could have won the RVV stage there a few years back.

Actually not Catalunya if you don't count his 2011 results.

Stage race stage wins with stripped results:
Tour of Poland 2003
Setmana Catalana 2005
Tour Down Under 2005
Tour de Romandie 2005, 2006
Vuelta al Pais Vasco 2005, 2008 x 2
Tour de Suisse 2006
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana 2007
Vuelta a Castilla y Leon 2007, 2008 x 2, 2010, 2011
Paris-Nice 2007 x 2, 2009 x 2, 2010
Tour de France 2007, 2009 x 2
Vuelta a España 2008 x 2, 2012