• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 624 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
LaFlorecita said:
Well yes, a strong sprint can get you very far. It's not like he'll be racing against Martens and Kreder and the likes in LBL.

My point is that the field wasn't particularly strong and sprints for positions doesn't say much.

However, I do believe he has the ability to win a race like FW or LBL and I think he could have lit up the racing and maybe could have won either of the two races this year.
I also dont think his sprint after a tough climb is that bad. His performance in FW 2010 was good and he also nearly game around Evans in the stage to Mur de Bretagne I think it was in 2011.

Lot of talk with AC and classics! A question. I don't watch a ton of interviews with him (because of the language barrier), so all I get is what the "english" papers spit out. I know that in the small circle of news I read he is not even shown any interest in doing the classics recently. Is this something in the last couple of years that he has said he would like to go after. I know he is capable of a lot when he puts his mind to it and works hard. But, if he isn't even really wanting or trying to win these races, he'll probably perform they way he has at the "harder" worlds courses.

Jspear said:
Lot of talk with AC and classics! A question. I don't watch a ton of interviews with him (because of the language barrier), so all I get is what the "english" papers spit out. I know that in the small circle of news I read he is not even shown any interest in doing the classics recently. Is this something in the last couple of years that he has said he would like to go after. I know he is capable of a lot when he puts his mind to it and works hard. But, if he isn't even really wanting or trying to win these races, he'll probably perform they way he has at the "harder" worlds courses.

Nah, he hasn't shown any interest.

It's just that we would like it a lot :)

Jspear said:

No he hasn't said anything. We are just speculating and wishing while we wait for le Tour to start :)

I read he is not even shown any interest in doing the classics recently.
I reckon Riis' lofty ambitions when signing him (3xGT, classics, etc) followed by a pretty abysmal season, has had him go back to the basics season-planning wise. He even said as much iirc.

Also while certainly a very explosive climber, so is a lot of other guys. Almost all of them with a better finish. Two weeks into a GT, different story. Recovery was always his greatest asset. (imo)

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Carstenbf said:
I reckon Riis' lofty ambitions when signing him (3xGT, classics, etc) followed by a pretty abysmal season, has had him go back to the basics season-planning wise. He even said as much iirc.

Also while certainly a very explosive climber, so is a lot of other guys. Almost all of them with a better finish. Two weeks into a GT, different story. Recovery was always his greatest asset. (imo)

And psyche. Whilest one-day races contains a great deal of luck, three-week races are not won by a coincidence (save 2006 :D ) and Alberto is the rider who simply always does his best, no matter who's in the front and who's at the back. By a comparison, Froome would not finish in top 10 having Alberto's 2011 TdF legs and he wouldn't finish 4th last year either. Instead he would book all Zigmund Freuds :)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
murali said:
do riding classics increase the uci points available to grab?

and do TS guys have to worry abt points anymore? i mean, with Kreu, majka, etc making pts, can AC do wht he wants from now on without points pressure?

not for point though. but it's more for winning or at least podium. He got paid tons of money, so he can't just participate in classic just because? Point or no point, imho he always have a pressure to perform well (means winning or podium). Oleg is business man, so everything is ROI.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Jelantik said:
not for point though. but it's more for winning or at least podium. He got paid tons of money, so he can't just participate in classic just because? Point or no point, imho he always have a pressure to perform well (means winning or podium). Oleg is business man, so everything is ROI.

cycling is not really good on making money imo...its more passion for cycling,to have access,new people etc for Tinkoff

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
cycling is not really good on making money imo...its more passion for cycling,to have access,new people etc for Tinkoff

you are right. But what i mean by ROI, isn't about making the money. It's about investment that Oleg has been making to get the results. Oleg paid Contador 4M euro salary (or whatever he got paid) to perform well in the race = winning races. So my ROI refers to.. if you paid lots of money, you want your guy who got paid that much to bring you the win. Not necessarily about making money. That I understand, cycling isn't a place for making money.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Red Rick said:
Is he riding the nats? Would be nice to see him in some red and yellow

Speaking of which, the nationals should be rescheduled. To many riders have begun to skip it because it messes with their Tour prep.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
absolutely.
I think UCI should really fix the calendar. They cant leave fans without races for two weeks for the sake of one TdF.Why should TdF be the first race where the riders wear the national colors?

If UCI worlds are towards the end of season, then they should put nationals also late in the season.

If nationals were part of the training regime towards worlds, then it would make a lot more sense.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Examples........?

Of riders skipping the nats cos of the Tour? Just a few from the top of my head: Roche, Fuglsang, Froome?, Contador?

I think they should do the nationals in the autumn (just like the worlds). Then they can begin the new season riding the national champion jerseys

TRENDING THREADS