• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 632 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
The team has known for some time that there was a strong possibility this thing with Kreuziger would blow up before the Tour. They should have prepared a better backup plan.

Majka is/was the backup-plan..
But that would certainly not mean that they would keep him out of the Giro, just in case?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
mrhender said:
Majka is/was the backup-plan..
But that would certainly not mean that they would keep him out of the Giro, just in case?

It's more about the fact that they sent Roche and Rogers and Majka all to the Giro. Which Roche didn't want to ride, but had to since it started in Ireland (but should've pulled out fairly early, maybe).

They couldn't have been sure way ahead of time just when they'd get Rogers back, so they pretty well needed to send him to Giro for some race kms in the legs.

Knowing they might lose Kreuz, and not wanting so many of the heavy-hitters to be too tired by the last week of TdF, they should've prepared a better backup plan in general, instead of having all three ride the complete Giro.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
It's more about the fact that they sent Roche and Rogers and Majka all to the Giro. Which Roche didn't want to ride, but had to since it started in Ireland (but should've pulled out fairly early, maybe).

They couldn't have been sure way ahead of time just when they'd get Rogers back, so they pretty well needed to send him to Giro for some race kms in the legs.

Knowing they might lose Kreuz, and not wanting so many of the heavy-hitters to be too tired by the last week of TdF, they should've prepared a better backup plan in general, instead of having all three ride the complete Giro.

I don't think riding the Giro and finishing is what wrecks riders for the Tour. i think riding high up on GC day in day out does. As neither Rogers nor Roche did this I think they'll be fine. Given that knowing you might lose Kreziger, what would you do? Without having seen it coming and hired an extra rider of that class, the only option would be to tell Majka not to go for GC or pull him out altogether.
The one thing they've lost with Kreuziger going out is a second option to win. An attacker that Sky can't ignore. If Majka was rested he may have been this option, but I don't think he's good enough yet. Kreuziger would be a huge threat 5 minutes up the road Majka probably needs to be 10 up.
With this in mind and knowing that there was a chance Kreuziger I think they've made the right call. However I'd not expect Majka to do anything until week 3.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:

I think it is well known fact that Roche is a rider who needs racing days under his belt to perform?
So if he's out of the eqation it leaves us with Majka..
A Talent who got the whole team built around him in the Giro, and AC left with scraps for Dauphine.. If they knew RK was to be pulled they might have acted differently.. Point is that his case was processed as fast as a snail can travel from Denmark to Spain. So they sticked to plan A.... Now thee only issue is, if Majka is good enough a replacement for RK..? I think he is...

karlboss said:
I don't think riding the Giro and finishing is what wrecks riders for the Tour. i think riding high up on GC day in day out does. As neither Rogers nor Roche did this I think they'll be fine. Given that knowing you might lose Kreziger, what would you do? Without having seen it coming and hired an extra rider of that class, the only option would be to tell Majka not to go for GC or pull him out altogether.
The one thing they've lost with Kreuziger going out is a second option to win. An attacker that Sky can't ignore. If Majka was rested he may have been this option, but I don't think he's good enough yet. Kreuziger would be a huge threat 5 minutes up the road Majka probably needs to be 10 up.
With this in mind and knowing that there was a chance Kreuziger I think they've made the right call. However I'd not expect Majka to do anything until week 3.

I think this is when he would matter most to AC.

thehook said:
So Majka was brought into the world tour by TS. He had support in this Giro. And no pressure last year.
This is how he repays that? The best GT rider in the world wants you to ride for him at your young age. This is how you repay that? What did you think you where going to lead the team at Vuelta?
So your team owner with deep pocket$. Wants to win the Tour. With AC. This is how you repay him. Not to bright bro. He should **** can you for the rest of the season. Then next year you can ride every half *** kermess,3 day, & **** race. In your contract year. See how that goes for you?

All of these derogatory posts are a bit over the top. His statements were honest and not really surprising. He's young and just finished a tough Giro and now he's drafted into risking the Tour with no prep. In any other circumstances the consensus would be to not have a rider of his age do back to back grand tours especially Giro-Tour for fear of the long term effects on his development, the exact concern that Majka is expressing. There's a very good chance that he won't finish the Tour and concerned with what he is expected to contribute at his age with no preparation and the Giro in his legs.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Derogatory? That is an opinion. I guess that is not what these boards are for? Maybe the internet is a bit to rough?

Are you the post police? You have over 5000 of them. If you go back and read all the posts in this thread, mine is soft!

Sorry if your feeling were hurt in anyway. Next time I will try to fluff up a post to meet your standards.

Peace

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Angliru said:
All of these derogatory posts are a bit over the top. His statements were honest and not really surprising. He's young and just finished a tough Giro and now he's drafted into risking the Tour with no prep. In any other circumstances the consensus would be to not have a rider of his age do back to back grand tours especially Giro-Tour for fear of the long term effects on his development, the exact concern that Majka is expressing. There's a very good chance that he won't finish the Tour and concerned with what he is expected to contribute at his age with no preparation and the Giro in his legs.

Dude had to know he was a tour backup. And last time I checked he is a WT Pro rider? Under contract? He can always drop down to conti level and never ride another GT again. "risking a tour" What is that? They get paid to ride there BIKES? NO?

My post was an opinion. I was under the impression that is what forums are for? The internet for? I guess feelings get hurt and I should have considered yours. For that I apologize.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Sorry guys, some of these posts are a scream.... how dare ANY of us question Alberto, he knows what he needs in the run up to Saturday ansd with de Jonge there too, trust him. Same with Bjarne, he knows what he's doing.... have faith.... Only a super alien Froome will beat him....just depends how super alien froome wants to be.

Also, the race starts on Saturday, they don't have a flat easy week to break themselves into it.... the right rider could take a big step forward as early as Sunday

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Oleg Tinkov@olegtinkov · 23m

We'll have the strongest team for #tourdefrance @albertocontador , Rogers,Rosche,Majka,Pauhlinho,Hernandez,Morkov,Benatti & monster Tossato

thehook said:
Dude had to know he was a tour backup. And last time I checked he is a WT Pro rider? Under contract? He can always drop down to conti level and never ride another GT again. "risking a tour" What is that? They get paid to ride there BIKES? NO?

My post was an opinion. I was under the impression that is what forums are for? The internet for? I guess feelings get hurt and I should have considered yours. For that I apologize.

But you and some other people here are often super hostile and aggressive as soon as a cyclist expresses an opinion. The dude who was super mad and came out with this corporate world obey and sleep at the office or be killed work ethic was pretty ridiculous. These cyclists and teams operate in a culture where it's possible to discuss and argue and still be cool and professional about it. In most cases. Like most work places and other places today besides the military, I would think.

Siriuscat said:
Sorry guys, some of these posts are a scream.... how dare ANY of us question Alberto, he knows what he needs in the run up to Saturday ansd with de Jonge there too, trust him. Same with Bjarne, he knows what he's doing.... have faith.... Only a super alien Froome will beat him....just depends how super alien froome wants to be.

Also, the race starts on Saturday, they don't have a flat easy week to break themselves into it.... the right rider could take a big step forward as early as Sunday

Agree ..TCS need to be out of the traps and racing by Sunday and need to take the race to SKY and others...Think the team is fine...I would rest Makja in first 2 weeks ...he can sit in Grupetto and then he may be good for last week ...may even have great last week

Rodgers is a strong rider and Roche is in very good form ...expect to see them attacking or counter attacking in first 2 weeks ....and breaking up SKY train

Hope TCS take control from the off and not chase the race

thehook said:

Why are you taking this so personal???? My post that some reactions are over the top shouldn't be seen as an insult to your character. Simply and obviously a difference of opinion on the topic at hand. Majka's only error was in sharing his initial thoughts, not taking a breath and sleeping on the decision before posting his feelings.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Cimber said:
Oleg Tinkov@olegtinkov · 23m

We'll have the strongest team for #tourdefrance @albertocontador , Rogers,Rosche,Majka,Pauhlinho,Hernandez,Morkov,Benatti & monster Tossato

Is it normal for team boss to announce the team on twitter?

Rogers--check
Roche--check
Benatti--check
Tosatto--check
Morkov--mmm..... OK
Hernandez--check
Paulinho--:eek:....(did AC ask for him as Kreu is not around?)
Majka--:rolleyes:

Zuagg-- missing WTF?:mad:
I hope
Beltran and valgren get a look in Vuelta

Arredondo said:
Would be more logical if he's better the first week rather then the third.

Actually, we need Majka in full form by late 2nd week+3rd week (stages 13-20) imho.
All big mountains are atleast 25km away from finish. AC would need someone to set tempo up the climb, and then descend with him+launch him in the final km. That's the only way he can make minutes as compared to other contenders.

I get your point about carving the lead in the first half of the race. but imo, it is better to give yellow jersey to some other team and take it only after stage 14 or so. Also, in the first few stages, Morkov, etc will be more useful than Majka.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Arredondo said:
Would be more logical if he's better the first week rather then the third.
This
Bushman said:
Not really. He has been resting after the Giro and he is not in form, but if he can make it through the first couple of weeks he will likely have ridden himself into some kind of shape.
....and
Miburo said:
Not really, most of the times when riders did the giro they're talking about being at their peak in the 3rd week.
this:)

murali said:
Is it normal for team boss to announce the team on twitter?

Rogers--check
Roche--check
Benatti--check
Tosatto--check
Morkov--mmm..... OK
Hernandez--check
Paulinho--:eek:....(did AC ask for him as Kreu is not around?)
Majka--:rolleyes:

Zuagg-- missing WTF?:mad:
I hope
Beltran and valgren get a look in Vuelta

Actually, we need Majka in full form by late 2nd week+3rd week (stages 13-20) imho.
All big mountains are atleast 25km away from finish. AC would need someone to set tempo up the climb, and then descend with him+launch him in the final km. That's the only way he can make minutes as compared to other contenders.

I get your point about carving the lead in the first half of the race. but imo, it is better to give yellow jersey to some other team and take it only after stage 14 or so. Also, in the first few stages, Morkov, etc will be more useful than Majka.

Paulinho was always going to get a spot on the team.

TRENDING THREADS