• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 661 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
Publicus said:
Based upon what Contador and others around him have said, he's either in his 2009 TdF form or his 2011 Giro form. I like Nibali a lot, but if one of those two things are true, then 2'37 isn't enough of a margin with 14 stages to go. All sorts of caveats apply here, but I think we will have our first real answer by Monday afternoon/evening.

like you can trust these words, what can they say? AC is not good? All they can do is to boost the morale and hope for a miracle? Btw, Sir B said RP climbs better than ever, so AC has to first drop his former teammate to climb the ladder of the GC.:eek:

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Publicus said:
Based upon what Contador and others around him have said, he's either in his 2009 TdF form or his 2011 Giro form. I like Nibali a lot, but if one of those two things are true, then 2'37 isn't enough of a margin with 14 stages to go. All sorts of caveats apply here, but I think we will have our first real answer by Monday afternoon/evening.

I would have to agree with you. If Contador is somehow in true 2009 Tour or 2011 Giro form, no one is going to beat him - not Froome, if Froome had stayed in, and was in Froome's 2013 Tour form, or anyone.

Netserk said:
163850_PIC470507669.jpg

"Where's Nibali? I can only see Talansky back there, I thought Nibs was better than that... :eek:"

"oh yea thats right, Nibbles went on the second to last climb, and leads the stage with 5 minutes"

:rolleyes:

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
sacrifice&hardwork said:
From the coverage of NBCSN. Steve Schlanger (the guy who does the interviews talked to the Tinkoff Saxo staff and they said Alberto is feeling really good. But then he added that there are rumors going around between teams (which weren't identified) that Alberto might had mistimed his peak form for the tour because he's been winning throughout the season. So yes, I would say it's wishful thinking from these teams.

And it looks like Publicus heard it too.

Iirc Martinelli, or maybe it was Slongo? Anyway, someone from Astana said that Nibali would be coming into top form at the Tour at exaclty the right time while guys like Contador and Froome were peaking to early.

Started there maybe.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
Iirc Martinelli, or maybe it was Slongo? Anyway, someone from Astana said that Nibali would be coming into top form at the Tour at exaclty the right time while guys like Contador and Froome were peaking to early.

Started there maybe.

Slongo said in the interview after stage 2, he worried about CF and AC's form, because they have been so good since the beginning of the year. The the British commentator cuts in, said Nibali's coach while famous in Italy, was such old school mentality, and in modern cycling a rider can peak all year around.:eek:

Afrank said:

Started there maybe.

Curious how these folks can make this conclusion based simply on observation and not on any particular facts, as if there would be anything that could prove/:confused:support such speculation.

Carols said:
I hope Jesus is okay :( Any news? It is a morale blow for Alberto to lose him. His riding for the last couple of years makes me wonder how he gets the start, but Alberto seems to relish his company and will miss him dearly :(

I also heard the clip by Slanger on the other teams thinking Alberto has peaked to soon. They can believe that at their Peril. Go ahead make your plans based on that premise, we'll see how it works for you on Monday :)

History says Berto still has a good chance to win this race, he will never give up!

Anything on tinkoff's site/feed/whatever? It's a little disconcerting that they say he is off to the hospital with a cranial trauma injury and hours later no update, not a single word I have noticed.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
pigoonse said:
I would have to agree with you. If Contador is somehow in true 2009 Tour or 2011 Giro form, no one is going to beat him - not Froome, if Froome had stayed in, and was in Froome's 2013 Tour form, or anyone.

I know what i saw in this year's Tirreno. I know what i saw in the Basque race.

in Veulta 2012, he stumbled to victory. last year, i thought he forgot why he raced. this year, it is entirely different.

I cannot rationally explain it. All i can say is tht i saw the fire in belly.
Last year, that was not there.

Netserk said:
"Where's Nibali? I can only see Talansky back there, I thought Nibs was better than that... :eek:"

Havent you heard the latest? Shark-Boys has convinced themselves that Nibs "fine-tuned" his form back there and didn't cared about the race. Funny thing that..

Alberto didn't cared either :cool:

Alberto Contador: Thanks. It’s true that I’m going well at the moment, but I don’t know if it’s the best ever. I didn’t come into the Dauphiné to win and I didn’t bring a team here that could really defend the lead. Although it would have been nice, my objective was to perfect my condition while preparing for the Tour de France.

http://www.bicycling.co.za/race-news/tour-de-france/tour-features/return-old-alberto-contador/

2:30 min for writing this post :cool:

maxmartin said:
like you can trust these words, what can they say? AC is not good? All they can do is to boost the morale and hope for a miracle? Btw, Sir B said RP climbs better than ever, so AC has to first drop his former teammate to climb the ladder of the GC.:eek:

Other than 2013, when Contador's form was truly off, Ritche Porte hasn't ever been able to climb with Contador. I don't think that's changed now. And I didn't say I trusted those words, I just shared what has been said. I think we'll have a real indication of how accurate those words are by Monday afternoon.

Like I said, I like Nibbles. A lot. So this isn't meant as a knock on him or his abilities.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Justico said:
I have a feeling that Contador's career as GT winner is over. I will bookmark this post to quote myself after TdF ends.

I SO hope that you are right...

Porte, Nibali and Valverde will hopefully be able to give AC a race for his money :)

Afrank said:

Started there maybe.

So let me get this straight: "someone" at Astana (rival team) said that AC (rival) has peaked to early while this "someone" in Astana at the same time says that their boy is peaking in the correct time, while a main rival is not?

Oh. No. :rolleyes:

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
If he's at 100% as planned, only an injury can stop him. Or - a smart tactical move from Astana which is not out of question. But Alberto has not the head of Froome, so I think he won't be surprised. Slowly he will start to reel Nibali in and catch him in the Pirenees. Certainly hope so, even if I'm half italian and Nibali is my 2nd favorite rider.
Also, Alberto in best shape will crush every GC rider into pieces in those 54 km TT (now that Froome is out). Only 2013 Porte could TT as well.

murali said:
too many ppl here are hoping for too much on monday.

hope is a good thing. but race usually has its own mind.

I'll agree to anything so long as i don't have to look at that graphic again on tt times that was posted a few pages back and try to make sense of what that was supposed to mean. for the love of god.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
tomorrow's stage has an interesting finish.

finish-07.jpg

the final climb is just 5.5 km from the finish.

I'm not suggesting tht any GC team will have any nasty thoughts of attacking:rolleyes:

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
murali said:
tomorrow's stage has an interesting finish.

the final climb is just 5.5 km from the finish.

I'm not suggesting tht any GC team will have any nasty thoughts of attacking:rolleyes:

Don't think so. If the summit was at 2 km to go maybe someone might have had a dig. It's basically a Cauberg but 500 longer.

TRENDING THREADS