• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 664 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
webbie146 said:
The optimal fat percentage differs per athlete. At a certain point losing more fat is not a option anymore, because the athlete will lose power output + recovery ability. Nibali has done a lot of GT's now and he knows what his optimal fat % is.

Athlete A can have a 5% fat percentage, and athlete B 6% but that does not mean always mean he is 'sharper'. Athlete B could lose power output at 4% so he will be 5% at the start of the tdf. Athlete B loses power at 5% so he will start the tdf at around 6%

During the tdf those initial numbers will lower because u always lose weight during a GT.

It's all about finding the optimal number for the athlete, differs per person.

Let's say Nibali get's down to 5%. His power output goes from 430 to 410W. This would mean in the flat TT he would perform worse, in the mountains it would not help either because his output is down. That Contador is around 5% and Nibali 6/6,5% does not say anything about how the will perform.

so, in short we will have to wait for mountains to know whether this good or not.

Interview on NBCSN with Nicco this AM. He said Jesus us much better and is staying with the team for a few days to ensure he is okay. They will find an alternate roomate for Alberto when he leaves the race, no idea who. But that Alberto will sorely miss Jesus.

He seemed a bit hesitant when asked how Alberto's condition is. It seemed to me, he rather reluctantly said 'Good'. Trying not to read anything into that. He did say they can make up the time and Alberto can win. But he wasn't convincing, at least to me :(

Carols said:
It seemed to me, he rather reluctantly said 'Good'. Trying not to read anything into that. He did say they can make up the time and Alberto can win. But he wasn't convincing, at least to me :(

Are we supposed to believe that specific riders chances reveals during interviews with one of their teammates now? Nicco was some minutes ago interviewed by Eurosport and sounded very optimistic and upbeat of Albertos chances.

Could also be part of a mindgame. I don´t think they are that troubled with the talk about Alberto "peaked to early" and Nibalis talk about "attack is best defense". It only plays in AC´s hands.

Netbalp

BANNED
Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Red Rick said:
I remember people doubting Contador after he got gapped in the uphill sprint up to Montevergine di Mercogliano in the 2011 Giro. 2 day's later Contador erupted on the Etna

Back then Nibali was a weaker climber.

Red Rick said:
I remember people doubting Contador after he got gapped in the uphill sprint up to Montevergine di Mercogliano in the 2011 Giro. 2 day's later Contador erupted on the Etna

Yes :) and when he attacked on the little bump on the stage to Tropea 1 day later a lot of people said he was in bad form because he was going for bonus seconds... The day after.... BOOM :D

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
at this point of time, i wud rather have nibali believe tht the gap is sufficient.

nothing better than having nibbles fight the wrong battle.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Speaking to NBCSN in an interview on now, Riis says it is too hard to judge where Contador is right now (in regard to form). The good news: He's fit and ready and we will see in the mountains. :)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
maxmartin said:
AC is even afraid of TJVG lol

Yea of course...It's not that Contador his team is riding in the front to keep him safe like they've been doing the whole week in the last 15 km. No that can't be it...

If you think Contador is afraid of TJ you need to work on your cycling knowledge or maybe you're just trolling.

Miburo said:
Yea of course...It's not that Contador his team is riding in the front to keep him safe like they've been doing the whole week in the last 15 km. No that can't be it...

If you think Contador is afraid of TJ you need to work on your cycling knowledge or maybe you're just trolling.

It looks to me like maxmartin is just desperately looking for clues that Contador is in bad shape.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Happy that AC finished the stage safely in the lead group.

rogers adn roche looked good today. Majka is still riding in the back.

tomorrow is going to be interesting

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:

you are the one accusing others trolling, LMAO!

May 19, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
It looks to me like maxmartin is just desperately looking for clues that Contador is in bad shape.

that is called careful observation and deduct a logical conclusion. You crazy fan girls will never understand.:p

maxmartin said:
that is called careful observation and deduct a logical conclusion. You crazy fan girls will never understand.:p

Logical would be: Saxo has been riding to keep Contador on the front for the past week, they probably did the same this time, riding to let Contador start the final climb in the first part of the peloton. And guess what, that's exactly what Bjarne said after the stage.

fantomas said:
He just said in a post-stage interview that he thinks the final climb tomorrow suits Nibali (and Valverde) better. :eek:

We´are entering the strategy of downplaying things, mate. While i am in serious doubt Alberto will try anything tomorrow he might just hoping to provoke things from Nibali as in a wearing-down process. Or it is just a smokescreen around himself to go bananas. Remember that he said it all will go down in the Pyrenees.

I am actually surprised he hasnt said Nibali is the favourite yet. :D

murali said:
Happy that AC finished the stage safely in the lead group.

rogers adn roche looked good today. Majka is still riding in the back.

tomorrow is going to be interesting

I'm a bit dubious about Rogers. Maybe he's been told to take things fairly easy in these stages with just short steep climbs because Contador doesn't really have a use for more than one guy on them (Roche).

Majka meanwhile looks like he's trying to prove that they should have brought Zaugg.

Roche looks very good so far. I think he was even one of Contador's last two men on the cobbles before he crashed in a ditch. The question with him though is if his form can last into the third week.

TRENDING THREADS