• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 668 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
There will be strong headwind in the run in to the final climb finish...so attackers before that will find it very difficult to stay away so its gonna be something like the Fleche Wallone gaps will only be created in the last drag to the line so lets hope Contador is explosive enough to put down a marker before the real mountains:)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
According to the bookies, it's 50-50 who wins the Tour out of Nibali and Contador (we shouldn't forget the unleashed Tasmanian of course. Who knows what Richie can do). Eagerly awaiting tomorrow's stage.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Justico said:
seriously, gaps on a cat3 climb ? get real people lol

this climb is tougher than the Mur De Huy...there was a 15sec gap to Valverde and 10th placed Gilbert this year....its fair to expect some small gaps in this climb..a psychological battle between the GC guys will be fought here

Ok MrHender

I think maybe you missed my point

Contador doesn't chase attacks ...Nibali does....and Contador stays with Nibali...that should be the plan....Contador cannot chase them all and he certainly cannot if his team is worn out on the 2nd last climb

Its Astana who need to set the high pace and carry the responsibility of the yellow jersey....They need to prevent attacks...In fact attacks from Valverde or Talansky could help TCS because it now means Astana are strung out ...Contador is a better climber than all and the 2.50 deficit to Astana is what needs to be fought to win the Tour...nothing else IMO...Astana needs to be forced ot defend their position and in doing so wear themselves out

This is a bluff situation....TCS using the race to let them and everyone put pressure on Astana ....they are the number one enemy

So Valverde get 20 secs or Talansky ...so what..Contador will still beat them..they are seconds ahead .but I think they won't because Astana will go after them ..possibly Fuglsang or Scarponi or Kangart ...

You are missing the whole psychological aspect of the race

TCS do not go all trying to control the 2nd last climb and end up with no one left ..Why ??? You force Astana to do it ....that is the smart thing...you wear Astana down

You said TCS should set tempo until the GC settles down...the GC is NOT going to settle down

You also said what if Contador crashes...well he could crash on final climb and have no team mate

I welcome attacks tomorrow....attack will help Contador because the objective is simple

1.Wear out you opponets troops before the final battle (Pyrennes)
2.String Nibali out
3. Stick to your enemy until you can attack

Above all else I hope TCS learned from last year to not chase the race ...instead let somebody else do it and wait for your opportunity

This is the smart approach and fits with the TCS team strength

It is madness ot wear Rodgers & Roche out while the yellow jersey team sit there until the last climb with all their reserves

Let see how long Scarponi & Fuglsang will be ready everyday to chase and set tempo... a week ?? tops!!

Y

maxmartin said:
http://www.steephill.tv/players/720...s-sagan/embed/v2?eid=AQAAAK5RwFOrZSMA&yr=2014

Podcast at 23:50, Jens Voigt is heavily criticizing some teams start pushing pace whenever there is a crash. He is saying how cut throat the modern cycling is, taking advantage of every little misfortune. Is this directed towards Tinkoff?

I haven't listened to the podcast, but that seems like an odd thing to say. I always thought the old days of cycling were more "cut throat."

maxmartin said:
http://www.steephill.tv/players/720...s-sagan/embed/v2?eid=AQAAAK5RwFOrZSMA&yr=2014

Podcast at 23:50, Jens Voigt is heavily criticizing some teams start pushing pace whenever there is a crash. He is saying how cut throat the modern cycling is, taking advantage of every little misfortune. Is this directed towards Tinkoff?

This can't be coming from a rider who's team wouldn't even slow their roll when one of their own rider's, a Tour contender, crashed and coincidentally took down that same team's primary competition for the yellow jersey?? Can't be!:p

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jspear said:
I haven't listened to the podcast, but that seems like an odd thing to say. I always thought the old days of cycling were more "cut throat."

that is more of a question throwing at him, and he basically answered yes.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
I suspect that is your interpretation. Jens and Cancellara need to just race and stop whining. The pace was already ramped up when TVG crashed. As is the current custom, the peloton doesn't slam on the brakes every time someone takes a tumble.

what do you mean my own interpretation? the link is posted, why don't you listen yourself and get your own conclusion, I even pointed the time stamp you need to listen to.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
What is this non-sense abt AC wheelsucking?

I think i will trust AC's racing brain over here. He will do whatever is best. The whole point of this stage is seeing wht he will or wont do.

I personally think tht he will follow the guy in front till he is ready to launch himself. if he is getting gaps, then he wud be happy, or else he wont mind.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
AC just needs to concern about himself. If he is in top shape none of the remaining riders should be able to follow him on the tough and long mountains. Today I dont see Berto making up time - he might even lose some to a guy like Valverde. But monday should suit him better

TRENDING THREADS