• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 669 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
lenric said:
Contador only needs to be concerned with Nibali. Nibali has to be concerned with everyone.

Exactly :):)

You said it in one sentence when it took me half a page

Astana have to be made to defend their position ...TCS do not have resource to control the race and not good tactics while 2.5minutes behind

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Nibali can be selective to chase the attacks as he has a big cushion but Contador cant afford to lose any more time to rivals like Porte,Valverde even if he manages to distance Nibali....The best thing for Contador to do is attack(on monday)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Cimber said:
AC just needs to concern about himself. If he is in top shape none of the remaining riders should be able to follow him on the tough and long mountains. Today I dont see Berto making up time - he might even lose some to a guy like Valverde. But monday should suit him better

Exactly. He will attack on monday for sure. That's a decent mountain stage and a steep last climb (although not long). Should gain some 30 seconds on Nibali and/ or most other rivals if he feels good.

He was right in saying that the Pirenees will decide the tour. He won't take yellow until end of Hautacam. And if he's still some seconds behind, we can prepare for a massacre on the Pla d' Adet stage.

Dr. Juice said:
Exactly. He will attack on monday for sure. That's a decent mountain stage and a steep last climb (although not long). Should gain some 30 seconds on Nibali and/ or most other rivals if he feels good.

He was right in saying that the Pirenees will decide the tour. He won't take yellow until end of Hautacam. And if he's still some seconds behind, we can prepare for a massacre on the Pla d' Adet stage.

Pla d'Adet is the day before Hautacam:)

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Dr. Juice said:

Yeah and it would be ideal if he could reduce the gap to around 1 minute before we enter the pyreness:)

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Rewatching Contador-Schleck on Col du Tourmalet '10....what a stage, beautiful to watch it again...wouldn't it be great to have Andy and Contador on the same team pacing each other up the mountains?

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Alcanelo said:
Rewatching Contador-Schleck on Col du Tourmalet '10....what a stage, beautiful to watch it again...wouldn't it be great to have Andy and Contador on the same team pacing each other up the mountains?

That would be neat, but with how Schleck has ridden for the last little while, he shouldn't get paid anything more than minimum wage. Also, I doubt Riis would take the Schlecks.

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Obviously Andy's form is suspect with a while now but a few years ago maybe it would have been perfect... I always liked seeing Bertie and Kreuziger together and with Andy it'd even be more enjoyable to watch

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Last month Contador was only concerned with Froome and lost the Dauphine because of that, even though he put in a huge effort. No one knows how Nibali will perform in the key mountain stages. It doesn't make much sense at this point to target Nibali and no one else.

I thought tht Froome made mistakes because of AC. i think he went to training before he fully recovered from DL crash.
(just my gut feeling)

i dont think AC will be nibbles-centric here.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Last month Contador was only concerned with Froome and lost the Dauphine because of that, even though he put in a huge effort. No one knows how Nibali will perform in the key mountain stages. It doesn't make much sense at this point to target Nibali and no one else.

It makes sense, because Fuglsang will answer attacks made by guys like Valverde, Talansky or Porte and Nibali will follow him, so as to he doesn't have the need to answer any attack. When Nibali follows Fuglsang, Contador follows him, so Fugslang will necessarily work indirectly for Contador.

Assuming Nibali is in good form, off course.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Contador cleaning the pretender out the GC list today. He looked really comfortable. Nibali looked cooked. Majka, Paulinho did a great pull and so does Rogers. Nicho not bad too. Good day so far. Look now contador sits on 6. Just need to get ride of couple people that doesn't belong to top 5 (kwiat and fuglsang)

No_Balls said:
Still more positive signs that one could wish for. Alberto didnt do a full-out attack and cut symbolic seconds. Saxo looked pretty decent and Nibalis team are not at all ready for the mountains assuming Saxo keeps this up.

It looks pretty good. :)

My thoughts:
Contador accelerated, only Nibali could follow. Once the road got a little less steep, Bertie put in a dig and took a few seconds. Nibali looked cooked crossing the line :) looking forward to Monday!!

indianfanboy said:
Alberto is hiding an extra gear and he looked so effortless...Nibali surely gave it everything and a very good poker face by him but your legs never lie

Agreed. On longer climbs Berto will drop Nibali good and proper I think... he put the pressure on for a couple 100m today and then attacked when it got less steep.... 3s gap:) Thought Alberto looked fresher than Nibali crossing the line

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Agreed. On longer climbs Berto will drop Nibali good and proper I think... he put the pressure on for a couple 100m today and then attacked when it got less steep.... 3s gap:) Thought Alberto looked fresher than Nibali crossing the line

Yeah,Alberto looked really fresh like the climb was nothing..he was looking back at Nibali and the gap to Porte

TRENDING THREADS