• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 689 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
blutto said:
....that being said the picture of the bike shown in the Velonews article does not, at least to my eyes, show any signs of damage that would likely occur if a vehicle ran over the bike ( like crushed tubes ).....

Cheers

that bike supposed fell off the team car first then got run over, that is the sequence I gathered

blutto said:
....that being said the picture of the bike shown in the Velonews article does not, at least to my eyes, show any signs of damage that would likely occur if a vehicle ran over the bike ( like crushed tubes ).....

Cheers

maxmartin said:
that bike supposed fell off the team car first then got run over, that is the sequence I gathered

Latest version seems to be it cracked while on the roof when Riis was overtaking the Belkin car halfway offroad.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
It sounds like they were trying to move up for better positioning going into the next climb (they were relatively far back on the petit ballon). oh well, hope he recovers well. i want to see what he can do when he's in this kind of form
He should rather recover well,he has got no chance when not fit against 100% Nairo and 100% Froome,and I dont want to see him struggling for podium,better rest and comeback to fall classics and WCH if possible.

ILovecycling said:
He should rather recover well,he has got no chance when not fit against 100% Nairo and 100% Froome,and I dont want to see him struggling for podium,better rest and comeback to fall classics and WCH if possible.

I don't want him back out there until he's healed either.

Also, on the bike conspiracy theories, here's a photo that should confirm the final theory on how the bike I posted was damaged:

BsiWGyEIQAAGwf9.jpg:med

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Publicus said:

Also, on the bike conspiracy theories, here's a photo that should confirm the final theory on how the bike I posted was damaged:

i couldn't tell what is going on in this pic?

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
No Vuelta for Alberto. Not official but he believes it's highly unlikely that he will ride Vuelta.

elpartidodelas12 @partidodelas12

CONTADOR @albertocontador "He hecho lo que he podido pero he visto que el Tour se había acabado para mí".
Translation: "I did what I could but I realizes that the Tour was over for me."

elpartidodelas12 @partidodelas12

CONTADOR @albertocontador: "El problema no es estar en la Vuelta, sino poder entrenar antes"
Translation: "The problem is not starting the Vuelta but being able to train beforehand."

His brother also said that Alberto will not speed up his recovery for any race, not even the World Champions.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
sacrifice&hardwork said:
No Vuelta for Alberto. Not official but he believes it's highly unlikely that he will ride Vuelta.

Translation: "I did what I could but I realizes that the Tour was over for me."

Translation: "The problem is not starting the Vuelta but being able to train beforehand."

His brother also said that Alberto will not speed up his recovery for any race, not even the World Champions.

like I said he could heal by the time Vuelta starts but without any training in his legs. Unlike frooom who can still train on a static bike.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
like I said he could heal by the time Vuelta starts but without any training in his legs. Unlike frooom who can still train on a static bike.
Yeah,big difference.At least we will see replay of Ventoux and Semnoz,Quintana vs Froome.

So sorry for Alberto.

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
More...

EL LARGUERO @ellarguero

.@albertocontador : "Te sientes triste, he trabajado muchísimo. Nunca había preparado un Tour como este".
Translation: "You feel sad, I've worked a lot. I've never prepared myself for the Tour like now."

EL LARGUERO @ellarguero

.@albertocontador : "He intentado seguir, pero tras una rato en la bicicleta hemos visto que la herida era muy grande, como el dolor".
Translation: "I've tried to continue but after a while on the bike we've noticed that the injury/wound was very serious/large just like the pain."

EL LARGUERO @ellarguero

.@albertocontador : "Es tanto trabajo, que no quería echar a perder mi sueño. Pero he visto que el Tour se había terminado para mí".
Translation: "It's a lot of work that I didn't want to ruin my dream. But I realized that the Tour was over for me."

EL LARGUERO @ellarguero

.@albertocontador : "Mañana me van a examinar y vamos a ver. Pero si hay operación 100% seguro no podría ir a La Vuelta".
Translation: "Tomorrow I'm going to get examine and we'll see. If surgery is required, I'm 100% sure that I won't go the Vuelta."

EL LARGUERO @ellarguero

"Se ha ido a echar la mano atrás para come, ha pasado un bache bastante grande y se ha caido de la bicicleta" -Fran
Translation: "He was reaching for his back pocket to grab some food, he passed through a big pothole and felt from his bike."

Translation might not too be accurate, so apologies.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

The story doesn't add up as the were claiming it Nicolas Roche’s bike ... until the race number proved otherwise.

Valverde said his handlebars slipped ... yes they slipped after the frame broke hitting a pothole. If the bars were tight enough, they would slip way before that.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Jancouver said:
The story doesn't add up as the were claiming it Nicolas Roche’s bike ... until the race number proved otherwise.

Valverde said his handlebars slipped ... yes they slipped after the frame broke hitting a pothole. If the bars were tight enough, they would slip way before that.

The bike he was riding when he hit the pothole was Roche's mclaren venge.
628x471.jpg

So no, it didn't break when he hit the pothole.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Folks, as an avid Alberto Contador fan I have to say that today is a sad day. Pleasantries aside though... after carefully reading opinions, accounts and seeing the pictures... what it sounds like to me is that what happened to Alberto today was Alberto's fault and no one else's. Nerves got the best of him, again.

I really wish him a speedy recovery and that he is back to top form for the Vuelta or the Giro. His clock is ticking and he hasn't many more years left in his legs, so coming back to this year's form is a must from here on in.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Jancouver said:

Wow, you're really reaching...

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/t...dentified-as-cause-of-snapped-contador-frame/

Clearly your comments are a better explanation of what happened that those who were there.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Wow, you're really reaching...

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/t...dentified-as-cause-of-snapped-contador-frame/

Clearly your comments are a better explanation of what happened that those who were there.

Who cares about that? Even if that's the case they should've made sure the goddamn frame was sturdy enough for his weight.

To me, him falling today has a lot to do with him not scouting many of the TdF climbs. There's traps here and there and you have to prepare for the worst.

He didn't.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
The bike he was riding when he hit the pothole was Roche's mclaren venge.
628x471.jpg

So no, it didn't break when he hit the pothole.

Glad to see the broken bike issue is cleared. It would be shame to crash of a bike failure.

That doesnt change anything for me. Even though I do appreciate that Specialized is sponsoring several teams, I will NOT buy another product from this evil company.

The_Juan said:
Folks, as an avid Alberto Contador fan I have to say that today is a sad day. Pleasantries aside though... after carefully reading opinions, accounts and seeing the pictures... what it sounds like to me is that what happened to Alberto today was Alberto's fault and no one else's. Nerves got the best of him, again.

I really wish him a speedy recovery and that he is back to top form for the Vuelta or the Giro. His clock is ticking and he hasn't many more years left in his legs, so coming back to this year's form is a must from here on in.

I don't know where you get the nerves comment from. He hit a pothole, apparently with only one hand on the handlebars while trying to get some food out of his pocket. That doesn't sound like a nervous guy to me.

The_Juan said:
Who cares about that? Even if that's the case they should've made sure the goddamn frame was sturdy enough for his weight.

To me, him falling today has a lot to do with him not scouting many of the TdF climbs. There's traps here and there and you have to prepare for the worst.

He didn't.
I'm 99% sure no one recced that descent.

TRENDING THREADS