• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 692 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
personal said:
Re crash(es):

To me it seems that someone concluded that there were two crashes because after he crashed he continued to ride for a few kms and then stopped and sat down (that was what we saw on Eurosport).
(Then he rode another 18 or so kms with team, before stopping for good).

I believe there was only one crash, and he broke his bike then. Other bike was run over and broken too.
I base my opinion on Roche's article.

Yeah I also think there only was one crash.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Pantani_lives said:
Well, I'm looking forward to next year's Tour: Froome vs. Contador vs. Nibali. That might be an exciting race if nobody crashes out!
Then we should pray,I have no hopes left as for pro cycling.This Tour was absolute disaster after Froome n Contador out.
Pricey_sky said:
Quintana too. Valverde can go wheelsuck at the Giro/Vuelta.
This.

personal said:
Re crash(es):

To me it seems that someone concluded that there were two crashes because after he crashed he continued to ride for a few kms and then stopped and sat down (that was what we saw on Eurosport).
(Then he rode another 18 or so kms with team, before stopping for good).

I believe there was only one crash, and he broke his bike then. Other bike was run over and broken too.
I base my opinion on Roche's article.

I agree. Finally a coherent account of what happened by someone who was there.

Also I think Berto would have been the strongest, but Nibali is Very Strong and it would have been a dire battle. At least I don't risk a heart attack now (unless Porte goes mutant!)

Get Well Soon Alberto, you are missed!

End of speculation
Nicolas Roche: "We were riding close to the front of the peloton, doing about 70kph in the wet, on a really long straight bit of road, when Alberto reached into the pocket in the back of his jersey for some food and hit a hole in the road. Unable to control his bike with one hand, his front wheel went from under him and he went head first"

See more at: http://www.independent.ie/sport/oth...the-window-30431225.html#sthash.rH0CnAi8.dpuf

cineteq said:
End of speculation
Nicolas Roche: "We were riding close to the front of the peloton, doing about 70kph in the wet, on a really long straight bit of road, when Alberto reached into the pocket in the back of his jersey for some food and hit a hole in the road. Unable to control his bike with one hand, his front wheel went from under him and he went head first"

See more at: http://www.independent.ie/sport/oth...the-window-30431225.html#sthash.rH0CnAi8.dpuf

Yeah,I posted that this morning. Glad that it's now cleared up.

cineteq said:
End of speculation

So what the hell is VdB talking about then. He acted like Contador went all out suicidal in that descent. Eating while descending doesn't sound like going all out.

Anyway as I already said in the comments, that quote is the most prominent showing of VdB in the Tour so far. He can now go back to blend in with the bunch and wheelsuck his way to a Top10 or Top5.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
JimPanzen said:
So what the hell is VdB talking about then. He acted like Contador went all out suicidal in that descent. Eating while descending doesn't sound like going all out.

Anyway as I already said in the comments, that quote is the most prominent showing of VdB in the Tour so far. He can now go back to blend in with the bunch and wheelsuck his way to a Top10 or Top5.

Not unlikely that he crashes either, he seems to do that a lot.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Publicus said:
That's how forum discussions work. Someone makes a comment and folks agree, disagree or expound on the post in either direction. I didn't mean to offend your delicate sensibilities by disagreeing with your opinion. :p

And I would note, I was offering my opinion in that comment

No, that's how you work.

I'm really not interested in what you have to say of my opinion. I'm more interested in what you have to say about Alberto crashing and the circumstances surrounding it.

Case and point: someone here said that Alberto crashed only once (Cyclingnews reported two crashes).

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
JimPanzen said:

Were there not two crashes? The first one where he hit the pothole and then another one later (quite likely he was pushing hard to make back time).

Steven de Jongh said:
Daniele Bennati rode behind him [Alberto Contador] and he said his hands came off his handlebars, hitting a hole or something. It’s pure bad luck. He crashed and received a spare bike from Nicholas Roche. Possibly one kilometre later, he crashed once again. The reason? The rain made the roads more slippery, possibly his hands were full of dirt after the first crash and that’s why he lost hold of his handlebars but that’s all speculation.

More...

There were a few accounts from riders saying that Contador was descending much faster than everyone else. Why would they all make it up?

JimPanzen said:

Fuglsang, Van Avermaet, Keukeleire, and others have all said the same thing: Contador took more risks than he should have and was going faster than the peloton.

All liars too, obviously.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Jagartrott said:
Fuglsang, Van Avermaet, Keukeleire, and others have all said the same thing: Contador took more risks than he should have and was going faster than the peloton.

All liars too, obviously.
Yeah,he obviously rode faster than peloton with one hand on handlebars and while eating :rolleyes:

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The_Juan said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong but... Contador only crashed once and his bike did break from hitting the pothole?

Is that what Roche is saying?

Yup that's what Roche is saying.

The simplest explanation is often the right one.