• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 698 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
trevim said:
This crash made me understand that much of my passion for cycling depends on Contador. There are other riders I like but this year I was mainly looking forward to see Contador back in top shape in the big stage of the Tour. Everything was looking bright with his great early season and then this crash really made me sad :(
I wonder if when Contador (in 2047:p) retires I will have much more free time to do something else rather than spend it following cycling.

Yes, Contador always gives a race a 'pulse'. I waited for almost a year to see him and Froome attack each other. It would have been one of the most epic battle ever seen in a GT.

Publicus said:
BsmlZ-zCAAA3EUe.jpg

Here is as close a direct translation as I could manage-

Spanish cyclist Alberto Contador will not require surgery from the injury sustained at the Tour de France, now that he suffers from an intra articular fracture of the medial tibia. according to the diagnostic tests completed in the CEMTRO clinic in Madrid.

Dr. Manuel Leyes Vence, of the traumatology department, affirms that the prognosis is good and that "we can perform conservative treatment without surgery. To be at La Vuelta will be difficult but not impossible, something that would not have happened had we had to perform surgery, given the small margin of recuperation that this entails".

The rider suffered a fall on Monday's stage of the Tour de France that forced him to abandon. "The MRI and CAT scans performed at the CEMTRO clinic have determined a high-energy trauma to the knee that caused a fracture in the innermost zone, which is not non-load bearing", explains Dr. Leyes.

"The good news is, despite suffering various contusions to the bone, there is no deformation. As the skin is in good condition and the swelling subsides, there will be more movement in the knee as soon as possible", the doctor assures.

LaFlorecita said:
As Contador acknowledged himself, with an operation there is a small possibility he can still ride the Vuelta, if he doesn't undergo an operation there is 0% chance he'll ride it.

Having a little trouble with this. I took one particular liberty with the translation and assumed the doctor said if there was surgical intervention, he would not be able to ride la Vuelta, but the original Spanish was non-definitive. I translated it assuming the doctor meant without surgery it would be possible, with surgery no way.

thehook said:
Question for LaFlo? And others?

What do you think of how Oleg has handled the injury to AC?

I think Oleg has handled it well. He can come out huge in this time of disaster. Support AC and his team 100% and he will be a better owner for it.
my .02$
In my book, he earned some points just by being reasonable and seemingly supportive.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
Look on the bright side, at least it's not Froome. ;)
As much as I hate Froome,he would be more 'fair' winner than Nibali for me.He proved he can do terryfing sacrifices and Im sure he and AC would have smashed Nibali climbing ability.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
As much as I hate Froome,he would be more 'fair' winner than Nibali for me.He proved he can do terryfing sacrifices and Im sure he and AC would have smashed Nibali climbing ability.

What qualifies as a "terrifying sacrifice?" Long range attacks? Just curious.

For me Nibs is a very worthy and fair winner. And not just cause I'm a big fan of his. But because he's probably the most well rounded current GC rider. He's not the best of the GC riders at any particular skill (like Contador at climbing, or Froome TTing). But he can do everything very well or well enough; climb, TT, descend, play the tactics game, ride the flats, and of course the cobbles. :)

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Read his tweets from July '13.

When he criticized Alberto? I read about that but I don't know what he specifically said. But he was right to criticize him because we all know what Alberto can do and last year he was just a shadow of himself (and still got 4th!).

If Contador has got a tibial plateau fracture ( http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/07/15/inenglish/1405419338_987772.html ), he needs to forget about the Vuelta and concentrate on recovering properly as these fractures aren't to be messed with:

"The tibial plateau is one of the most critical load-bearing areas in the human body; fractures of the plateau affect knee alignment, stability, and motion. Early detection and appropriate treatment of these fractures are critical in minimizing patient disability and reducing the risk of documented complications, particularly post traumatic arthritis"

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1249872-overview

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I was almost in tears when I saw Contador shaking hands with Rogers and retiring. He is the best rider of his generation, a true champion, on and off the bike. He dominated 2007-2011 like the big champions of the past. Giro-Vuelta double in 2008, 2009 standing up to the opposition in his own team, demolishing the field and..he didn't ride Lance off the podium on the Ventoux stage inspite of what happened before.

2011 crushing the giro, always attacking, every stage. Helping his friend Tiralongo to win. Attempting the legendary Giro-Tour double, crashes in the first week, losing time. Struggling on 1-2 stages, then attacking 90 km from the finish. Gains time back on Evans/Schleck but not enough. Another good tt performance, 5th place, not far away from victory.
I'm sure he is the only one who still could try and maybe do the double.

Then faced his suspension, came back rusty without racing in his legs, suffered against an in great form Rodriguez and to an extent against Valverde - he gives us Fuente Dé.

Does a suboptimal training in Winter 2012/2013, suffers his only mediocre year. Analyses deeply everything, changes training and comes back to the level he expected to have in '13.

Only man to follow Froome's crazy attacks, could ride his own pace but for spectacle and psychological blow to the opponent responds.
Was on course to win this Tour after all what happened the last 2 years. I want him to win badly next year. Try Giro-Tour, give fireworks.

The thing is - he is 31 and will be 32 next year. Indurain was able to blow the competition away at 31 (1995). Armstrong managed to win at almost 34. Probably would have lost against a 2006 Basso. I fear Alberto will have next year and the year after if everything goes right. To win against the best opponents at 100 % (Froome, Quintana, may include Nibali).

And I'm sure he wants to win LBL one time. A monument added to his palmares would make him one of the all-time greatest.
Luck wasn't on his side for 3 years now. He deserves the best. For almost losing his life and for everything he gave cycling. For the talent he has got. For the panache. For his non-conformist attitude 360 degrees. For always speaking respectful of people who have a dig at him ( never disrespectful to Froome, not responding to Armstrong's provocations). For his intuition.
An old-school champion, one of those you want to remember when thinking " ah, this should be real - not radio-controlled - cycling"

I like Nibali for similar traits although 1 step below. Wish him to win this Tour. But the next 3 GT's should be Alberto's. :cool:

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Juice said:
I was almost in tears when I saw Contador shaking hands with Rogers and retiring. He is the best rider of his generation, a true champion, on and off the bike. He dominated 2007-2011 like the big champions of the past. Giro-Vuelta double in 2008, 2009 standing up to the opposition in his own team, demolishing the field and..he didn't ride Lance off the podium on the Ventoux stage inspite of what happened before.

2011 crushing the giro, always attacking, every stage. Helping his friend Tiralongo to win. Attempting the legendary Giro-Tour double, crashes in the first week, losing time. Struggling on 1-2 stages, then attacking 90 km from the finish. Gains time back on Evans/Schleck but not enough. Another good tt performance, 5th place, not far away from victory.
I'm sure he is the only one who still could try and maybe do the double.

Then faced his suspension, came back rusty without racing in his legs, suffered against an in great form Rodriguez and to an extent against Valverde - he gives us Fuente Dé.

Does a suboptimal training in Winter 2012/2013, suffers his only mediocre year. Analyses deeply everything, changes training and comes back to the level he expected to have in '13.

Only man to follow Froome's crazy attacks, could ride his own pace but for spectacle and psychological blow to the opponent responds.
Was on course to win this Tour after all what happened the last 2 years. I want him to win badly next year. Try Giro-Tour, give fireworks.

The thing is - he is 31 and will be 32 next year. Indurain was able to blow the competition away at 31 (1995). Armstrong managed to win at almost 34. Probably would have lost against a 2006 Basso. I fear Alberto will have next year and the year after if everything goes right. To win against the best opponents at 100 % (Froome, Quintana, may include Nibali).

And I'm sure he wants to win LBL one time. A monument added to his palmares would make him one of the all-time greatest.
Luck wasn't on his side for 3 years now. He deserves the best. For almost losing his life and for everything he gave cycling. For the talent he has got. For the panache. For his non-conformist attitude 360 degrees. For always speaking respectful of people who have a dig at him ( never disrespectful to Froome, not responding to Armstrong's provocations). For his intuition.
An old-school champion, one of those you want to remember when thinking " ah, this should be real - not radio-controlled - cycling"

I like Nibali for similar traits although 1 step below. Wish him to win this Tour. But the next 3 GT's should be Alberto's. :cool:

Beautiful. He was never afraid to race. If he can attack, then he attacks. He is the best since Hinault.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
When did Alberto's frame break?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/oth...then-plan-a-went-out-the-window-30431225.html

According to team mate Nicolas Roche "As I helped Alberto up, I noticed his bike was broken and there was a stream of blood coming from a gash just under his right knee. His wound looked pretty bad but as a rider, my natural instinct was to simply hand him my bike and encourage him to keep going."Take my bike Alberto! Go, go, go!"

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Futuroscope said:
Beautiful. He was never afraid to race. If he can attack, then he attacks. He is the best since Hinault.

Plus he never gives up. And that's why I believe he'll be back next year better than ever. 32 is hardly too old to win a TDF.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Plus he never gives up. And that's why I believe he'll be back next year better than ever. 32 is hardly too old to win a TDF.

Yep, he definitely has a few years left to go for GTs. I hope he does the Giro soon though, Contador climbing skills plus Giro mountains... I'd like to see a Giro+Vuelta season in the next two, but he should also probably give the TdF one last shot just to conquer it one last time.

Also, this year was his first training they way he did, right? Might be more efficient next year, which could mean he could be even better. :eek:

Berzin said:
Having a little trouble with this. I took one particular liberty with the translation and assumed the doctor said if there was surgical intervention, he would not be able to ride la Vuelta, but the original Spanish was non-definitive. I translated it assuming the doctor meant without surgery it would be possible, with surgery no way.

I posted that earlier, on the day of his crash. He said to the press that he hoped they would perform surgery on him as that would be the only way he could start la Vuelta. Later it turned out surgery would only further damage his knee making the recovery period longer.

Afrank said:

For me Nibs is a very worthy and fair winner. And not just cause I'm a big fan of his. But because he's probably the most well rounded current GC rider. He's not the best of the GC riders at any particular skill (like Contador at climbing, or Froome TTing). But he can do everything very well or well enough; climb, TT, descend, play the tactics game, ride the flats, and of course the cobbles. :)

Of course he's a worthy winner. But the way he gets the win handed to him, and enters the elite group of Triple Crown winners.... I don't know man, I just feels very wrong. This isn't some random race, it's the Tour. I feel the same way as I did when Hesjedal won the Giro. It just isn't right.

And the worst part is that some Nibali fans will be unbearable, some now won't even acknowledge he was only the 3rd favorite at best, but that is a different matter ;)

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Riis: "Evertything and everybody were ready. He (Contador) would have smashed them all monday. He would have taken a minute, maybe a minute and a half, on Nibali"

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:
Why do you dislike Froome? Maybe the only way to undertsand what you're saying...
Predictable rider,fvcking team,cound,arrogant,no champion etc (read his book)
Afrank said:

No,I didnt mean in races but in training.He looks like freak,eats almost nothing ,trains like a madman (probably too much),he is just willing to do sacrifices,more than others (maybe AC did almost similiar during this winter)

And the problem with me and Nibbs and Three GT club is that I want GT winner to be at least as good in climbing like his best opponents.That didnt happen in '10 Vuelta and '14 Tour,of course I know he couldt have an impact on it,but still...Im 99% sure he wouldnt have won this Tour,and maybe 60%% sure that Vuelta either.

I dont really understand what you people are talking about. Winner is the first. Sometimes he is not the strongest. Sheer strenght isn't enough. Winner is the best. They are two different concepts. The best in that time. Not Overall. If you can't accept the fact that you (or your favs) can be beaten, you are not a sportman. You just talk, but facts are facts and woulda coulda shoulda are the words losers use to justify. If you win you are the best (admitting you are racing fairly).
About the fact Contador could (not would) have put 1' or 1'30'' on the others...yep, probably with a secret engine. That would have been purely out of this world, if you consider simply the watts involved. Riis should start to shut up and respect riders who are in the field, still there. And not a word from Alberto about "Iwould blablabla..." He knows how good he is. And he is a classy man. So he gives kudos and prepares for his comeback. All the rest is pure speculation and I what I see is taking speculation ad facts and facts as bull****.
Simply stupid.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Futuroscope said:
When he criticized Alberto? I read about that but I don't know what he specifically said. But he was right to criticize him because we all know what Alberto can do and last year he was just a shadow of himself (and still got 4th!).
Read it.
bigcog said:
If Contador has got a tibial plateau fracture ( http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/07/15/inenglish/1405419338_987772.html ), he needs to forget about the Vuelta and concentrate on recovering properly as these fractures aren't to be messed with:

"The tibial plateau is one of the most critical load-bearing areas in the human body; fractures of the plateau affect knee alignment, stability, and motion. Early detection and appropriate treatment of these fractures are critical in minimizing patient disability and reducing the risk of documented complications, particularly post traumatic arthritis"

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1249872-overview
His fissure is not load-bearing tho.Big difference imo
Jagartrott said:
What a stupid and disrespectful thing to say.
I agree,but I accept it.They were with him every freakin day.Watched him closely from early winter.The dissapointment must be devastating.

TRENDING THREADS