• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 770 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
OH MY!!! Our boy surpassed all my expectations! With one leg, he still beats quintana, purito and valverde. What a superb, superb performance. He just can't hold a little longer, but he looks good. And His form looks like in the path going upward. If this continues (and his leg hold up or even healed).. 3rd week.. ALL HELL BREAK LOOSE!!!. Hold on to your seat, gentle(wo)en, we are in exciting ride :D:D

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
He doesn't have the shape yet to push the big gear.

But he tried, and he is together with Quintana now the main favorite to win for me.

And Alberto would have won if not for the break....grrr :p

Wut? He wheelsucked all the way to get this red jersey, which he is gonna lose in the TT.
Alberto is stronger than him, I think he'll get the leader's jersey tuesday, he's only 3 secs off.

He is getting better and better. Today I was not expecting an attack, I was expecting he limited to control. So much the better: it means that he is better than our forecast.

Thursday he will go for the win, i'm sure. Bravo Alberto!!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Great ride from AC today. Maybe not at his best yet, but still enough to distance Froome.

Also wondering if Quintana could have closed that gap by himself today?

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Anyone think this Contador looks a little like La Vuelta 12 Contador, remember he kept attacking but dint have the gas to keep the gap?. He was so impressive today i like im more and more each day haha. Still proud of Froome he looked not very good on both MTF and has limited losses well. Think Contador will win this then i hope he does Vuelta every year for the record.

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Anyone think this Contador looks a little like La Vuelta 12 Contador, remember he kept attacking but dint have the gas to keep the gap?. He was so impressive today i like im more and more each day haha. Still proud of Froome he looked not very good on both MTF and has limited losses well. Think Contador will win this then i hope he does Vuelta every year for the record.

Actually, he wasn't able to drop anyone in 2012. Here he was only caught because the last 1.5 km was flat (2.5%) and Vorganov buried himself.

Also this year can only get better and recover from an injury since arriving. In 2012 he came back from a stop of 6 months

QUOTE=sultanofhyd;1562105]Actually, he wasn't able to drop anyone in 2012. Here he was only caught because the last 1.5 km was flat (2.5%) and Vorganov buried himself.[/QUOTE]

Jack_89 said:
He is getting better and better. Today I was not expecting an attack, I was expecting he limited to control. So much the better: it means that he is better than our forecast

Our forecast? No, friend. We are plenty here who has argued that he is better then expected and what he has said during interviews should be taken with a pinch of salt.

No_Balls said:
Our forecast? No, friend. We are plenty here who has argued that he is better then expected and what he has said during interviews should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Hehe. I am one of those (but we were in a few believe it), I have always said that participated to win. Only I did not expect an attack today but on Thursday.
Better than I thought , vamoss !!!:)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Saw this, rather silly joke

BwYOeIzIYAAY-MU.jpg

I knew he was aiming for the win but i didn't expect this already...

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
BlurryVII said:
Wut? He wheelsucked all the way to get this red jersey, which he is gonna lose in the TT.
Alberto is stronger than him, I think he'll get the leader's jersey tuesday, he's only 3 secs off.
Of course he will take it.But climbing will decide.
This will be real GT climbing battle between Best three climbers of last,this and next decade.Maybe best GT since Giro 10? who know;)

Alberto is the biggest favourite now for me,because...you know he is Alberto:D...,Froome and Quintana slightly smaller favourites.

ILovecycling said:
Of course he will take it.But climbing will decide.
This will be real GT climbing battle between Best three climbers of last,this and next decade.Maybe best GT since Giro 10? who know;)

Alberto is the biggest favourite now for me,because...you know he is Alberto:D...,Froome and Quintana slightly smaller favourites.

Despite the performance today, I don't think it's impossible for Froome to gain 25 seconds on Contador in the time trial.

Wow he just never fails to get me out of my seat yelling at the tv and that is what watching sport is all about!

He saw Froome was in difficulty and that little angel on his shoulder whispered, Full Gas :). If it hadn't been for that final easy km he would have gotten a few seconds on Purito and Quintana besides dropping Froome and Valverde. The man knows how to Read a Race; it's one of his greatest strengths.

Geez I hope he doesn't take red to soon....who on that team can help him defend it for almost 2 weeks?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
DFA123 said:
Despite the performance today, I don't think it's impossible for Froome to gain 25 seconds on Contador in the time trial.

Sorry I forgot he is so close:D
Yeah,it should be close,as for me I expect: Froome 0 Rigo 0.15 Contador 0.30 Quintana 1.15 Valverde 1.20 Aru 1.35 Rodriguez 1.40

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
It seemed to me he was slowing down a bit before the finish line, as if he was waiting for the others to catch him - so Quintana can wear the red jersey, and he can have a rest during the rest day.

Good that he has the legs on mountains, but ITT will be another exciting stage.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Narce_ said:
It seemed to me he was slowing down a bit before the finish line, as if he was waiting for the others to catch him - so Quintana can wear the red jersey, and he can have a rest during the rest day.

Nope,he just cant sprint:D otoh murito is a good sprinter.

ILovecycling said:
Nope,he just cant sprint:D otoh murito is a good sprinter.

I agree with Narce, the amount of looking back he was doing in the last 100 metres wasn't natural for someone trying to fight for every second. I think he realised it was just going to be a gap of a couple of seconds and decided it was better not to have to deal with the press etc...the more important victory was the one over Froome.

Narce_ said:

I think he just ran out of gas. I just wish that he would get in the drops when he's sprinting for the line. For some reason that bothers me.:p

Helvellyn said:
I agree with Narce, the amount of looking back he was doing in the last 100 metres wasn't natural for someone trying to fight for every second. I think he realised it was just going to be a gap of a couple of seconds and decided it was better not to have to deal with the press etc...the more important victory was the one over Froome.

I think Contador will have his fair share of media duties tomorrow whether he is in red or not.

TRENDING THREADS