• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 927 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TANK91 said:
What makes you so sure he can handle Froome in the Tour?. Huge advantage to Froome with Contador doing the Giro i don't care what anyone says. Froome will need to be off form to lose the TDF to Contador, that is not being silly it is common sense. They are too close too each other in ability. Froome attacked like the Dauphinee yesterday he actually had an accelration. Froome yesterday was great i bet no one expected it on that stage to get that sort of gap. If i was betting i would go Contador to win the Giro with ease and just fall a lil short in the TDF(no shame in that).

I agree, I don't think things are looking good for the double. To do the double Alberto needs to be better than ever and Froome needs to be below par, like in 2014. The second already looks very unlikely. But I'm happy he's riding the Giro, it's my favorite race and Alberto will grab an easy GT win.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
sir fly said:
The most likely.
And I'm sure Contador's Giro rivals will, in a way, ride for their Tour leaders.
Astana and Sky will tire Contador as much as they can.

It all comes down to Aru really if he developes again then you never know. For all we know Aru will join Contador and Froome this year as the best riders or in the group with Quintana and Nibali. Porte maybe able to do something but i do not trust him in GT's as a leader. Contador will win the Giro with ease imo but even with not going all out he would not be fav for the TDF imo.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I agree, I don't think things are looking good for the double. To do the double Alberto needs to be better than ever and Froome needs to be below par, like in 2014. The second already looks very unlikely. But I'm happy he's riding the Giro, it's my favorite race and Alberto will grab an easy GT win.

Hopefully they do the opposite and next year it is Froome's turn to do it. I just think he is going to be fixated by the TDF if he wins it again. Froome should go for a Giro/Vue double he always has trouble doing the TDF/Vuelta. Would you like Contador to try the Giro/Vue combo again in his carear?

All these prognostications based upon a single February race. So many kilometers to be trained and raced between here and now that you're all being foolish. I remember last year we were definitely going to have an epic battle between Contador and Froome in the Tour. Who here (seriously) predicted that BOTH would crash out? As a cycling fan, I really enjoyed what we've seen this week. It bodes well for the rest of 2015. I don't know what's going to happen (I want Contador to pull off the double), but I suspect it is going to be an entertaining year if everyone stays healthy :)

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Miburo said:
Good ride from Contador, not really important he wins this, i'm actually happy froome owned him.

Giro is important, not this and i'm sure Contador can handle Froome in the tour.

He's definitily gonna take revenge in T-A though

Be objective. Contador is never going to win the Tour if he's riding a Giro for the win. He's not even going to make the podium in that case.

Arredondo said:
Be objective. Contador is never going to win the Tour if he's riding a Giro for the win. He's not even going to make the podium in that case.
It's quite funny how you can post stuff like that and call me a hater when I last year said Contador was a better climber than Purito. It's really clear who is least objective of the two of us ;)

Publicus said:
All these prognostications based upon a single February race. So many kilometers to be trained and raced between here and now that you're all being foolish..... As a cycling fan, I really enjoyed what we've seen this week. It bodes well for the rest of 2015. I don't know what's going to happen (I want Contador to pull off the double), but I suspect it is going to be an entertaining year if everyone stays healthy :)

Well said. No need for weeping and gnashing of teeth in February. Sure it is disappointing after his good start but some of you need to learn to Enjoy the sport! Alberto does :).

Electress said:
Well, obviously it's a bit of a come down from the happiness of yesterday, but weirdly, AC actually looks cheerier in those pics. today than yesterday - when he looked a bit subdued! Not saying that's what he's really feeling, mind?though as ever, he's as gracious in defeat as victory.

I did have initial knee-jerk reaction horrors of living through a year of 2013-like Froome domination - on every level a Dantean-hell for me, given I live in the UK. But after the initial gut-wrenching disappointment, I'm fairly relaxed now. I hate AC losing, (to Froome more than anybody), but it doesn't take away what he did yesterday. At least there's no chance of any complacency and it'll be that thorn to work even harder. I believe him that yesterday he was testing; seeing how he was feeling, and paid the price today.

I agree life would be easier emotionally if AC would oblige by winning everything, all the time, by a scintillating display of his utter domination and panache, but that is not a realistic expectation, even of the Great One.

Kudos too to Froome. Whatever my feelings about the guy, there's no doubt he's a worthy adversary. He showed admirable mental fortitude and pacing yesterday and rode the better race today. Credit where credit is due.

My sentiments exactly. I of course was disappointed and a bit surprised to hear the outcome of yesterday's stage but really should not have been since Froome as of the Vuelta seems to specialize in the unexpected, a rather yo yo of performance day to day and even within the same stage, Friday even some of his more ardent supporters were saying that yesterday's stage didn't suit him as well as it did Contador.

Still if we look at how Contador gained his lead on Froome on Friday it was due primarily to Sky and Froome's being asleep at the wheel and Tinkoff-Saxo being opportunistic on the descent leading to the final climb. Froome almost cut in half the max of his initial deficit on the final climb.

At this point Contador remains the superior tactician and Froome the superior climber. It's a long time to the Tour though and the only one's saying that Froome's form should be behind Contador's are Sky and their supporters. Froome is so rail thin I can't see him losing much more weight. His gains will be in fitness while Contador has more of a margin for improvement, although as he's older losing the weight will be that much more difficult.

TANK91 said:
Hopefully they do the opposite and next year it is Froome's turn to do it. I just think he is going to be fixated by the TDF if he wins it again. Froome should go for a Giro/Vue double he always has trouble doing the TDF/Vuelta. Would you like Contador to try the Giro/Vue combo again in his carear?

I would like to see Alberto do Giro/Vuelta next year in his last year but Alberto already said he wants to win TDF then retire

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
It's quite funny how you can post stuff like that and call me a hater when I last year said Contador was a better climber than Purito. It's really clear who is least objective of the two of us ;)

What are you talking about?

- Of course Contador is a better climber then Purito. Why do you even mention it?

- If you think Contador is going to win a Tour after a hard Giro in his legs, against a Froome who is fresh, you don't know anything about cycling.

Carols said:
Well said. No need for weeping and gnashing of teeth in February. Sure it is disappointing after his good start but some of you need to learn to Enjoy the sport! Alberto does :).

B-deLtGIgAAgh0a.jpg

uhmm :p

Arredondo said:
- If you think Contador is going to win a Tour after a hard Giro in his legs, against a Froome who is fresh, you don't know anything about cycling.

Well firstly Froome has to stay on his bike. Then he has to carry his strength all the way through the 3rd week. Also he and Sky need to develop a bit more race savvy. I'm not nearly as sure as you are that Alberto has no chance :).

Arredondo said:
What are you talking about?

- Of course Contador is a better climber then Purito. Why do you even mention it?

1 because you lost it last year when I said that

2 I certainly think he is far more likely to podium than not. You wrote:

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:
Well firstly Froome has to stay on his bike. Then he has to carry his strength all the way through the 3rd week. Also he and Sky need to develop a bit more race savvy. I'm not nearly as sure as you are that Alberto has no chance :).

Well, if Froome crashes, there's still Quintana and Nibali (who will focus entirely on the Tour). So no chance at all for Alberto;)

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
By saying this you also say the following names don't know anything about cycling:
Contador, Riis, Tinkov, De Jongh, Lemond, Merckx, Karsten Kroon, Matt Stephens , the list is long

Riis, Tinkov, De Jongh = Tinkoff-Saxo related so not objective in this case

Merckx, Lemond = still think cycling is the same as it was in the 70's/90's

Kroon = ex-teammate of Alberto

Stephens = if he really said it, i will be quite disappointed. But hey, he had such a good time with Alberto on GCN, so he's indoctrinated too;)

Do you believe Contador can win the Tour against Froome, Quintana and Nibali, with a Giro in his legs?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
At this point Contador remains the superior tactician and Froome the superior climber.

There is still uncertainty about this and we still haven't seen them go head to head in their absolute best form (and likely won't this year, because Contador does the Giro), but I agree. I suspect peak Froome is the best climber in the peloton, unbeatable.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
1 because you lost it last year when I said that

Well i wrote that in a certain context, because i know Contador is a better climber then Purito from the beginning.

Netserk said:
2 I certainly think he is far more likely to podium than not. You wrote:

Nibali, Quintana and Froome. If they are just in good form, Contador will far more likely finish 4th then to podium.

But hey, most likely one of them will crash, so you will have your excuse in July;)

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I seriously doubt it. Froome pushed 6.5 W/kg on stage 4.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-seals-morale-boosting-victory-over-contador-in-andalucia

its what Froome told...i dont think he is lying

Comparing his defeat on Friday?s mountain stage to Saturday?s bounce-back at Allanadas, Froome said ?there wasn?t so much of a change for me. It was more Alberto changed in the two days. I rode quite a consistent two stages and Alberto probably had a bit of a bad day yesterday [Saturday].?

Yesterday was a shorter climb those wattages are not a big surprise