• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 932 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
grizzlee said:
Basso pulled for like 1k then died a death, That was super stuff alright.

In Basso's defense he did what a domestique is supposed to do in the mountains and that is bring the pain to his leader's rivals. At the end of that he had done such a stellar job that there was no one left to drop, only Contador and himself were left. In any other world that would be considered a job well done. I only wish he had been able to sustain it a bit longer.

ray j willings you are totally insane :eek:

I am going to bow out and leave you all to it....

You can go on analysing and fawning over every tiny little thing Contador does and says in peace and agree with each other all day long

I would though advise a reality check because when Contador retires in 2016 there is going to be a massive void to fill and some of you may need therapy

ray j willings said:
"Chris Froome is a better cyclist now" you said that while you was "at it"
At what? Its not important. Confused you with my powerful word play.
I have already defeated you with words and yet to make a point.
You cannot even grasp how deep I am.

I think your post is Rubbish and nonsense and so does my 7 year old son.
King Bertie " the greatest rider of is generation "
Do you not remember just a few days ago he dropped the lanky git wizard with ease . Did you forget he beat him bad in the ITT?

He beats King Bertie once and you an admirer of this "Wayne Rooney Et stick insect mash up" claim he his a better rider.
I grant you he won 1 tour but that was against a very out of form Bertie.

Froome done big pooh pooh in his pants when the tour route was announced.
It was only when Bertie and Oleg decided to race the Giro that Froome committed to the tour.

Bertie unleashed only a bit of his power at the Vuleta yet he still toyed with Froome and gave him the beating "not that he deserved , but that he needed"
:D

I think I love you :D finally someone as crazy as me

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
I thought Froome V Contador was only going to happen once more before Tour, at Tirreno. Is it true they're both doing Catalunya?

yep. Looks like froome is following alberto schedule. :D

Chris Froome and Alberto Contador are set for more duels this spring at Tirreno-Adriatico and the Volta a Catalunya. The Brit who won yesterday's Vuelta a Andaluc?a-Ruta del Sol, has included the Catalan race in his schecule

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/another_froome-contador_duel_in_store_in_catalunya/

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Netserk said:
And in that short distance he dropped everyone except Alberto. How many did Roche drop?

There was about 10 left when Roche pulled over and not 1 Tinkoff left. Look this is getting out of hand, i just made the point that Tinkoff might be regretting that he let Roche go after he dropped all his Doms. all you guys go on the defensive. Its a point of view, nothing more nothing less. Its not as if im saying Roche is gonna win the tour or anything. Fanboyism is alive and well.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
grizzlee said:
There was about 10 left when Roche pulled over and not 1 Tinkoff left. Look this is getting out of hand, i just made the point that Tinkoff might be regretting that he let Roche go after he dropped all his Doms. all you guys go on the defensive. Its a point of view, nothing more nothing less. Its not as if im saying Roche is gonna win the tour or anything. Fanboyism is alive and well.

Dohhh :rolleyes: Tinkoff boys had been pulling the peloton the entire day, nobody else had been in front, its not aliens its just riders who do their job as supposed to. The alien stuff we leave to the SKYBORGS.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
grizzlee said:

that's true. but on the day when alberto win, roche is no where to be found either. Basso pulled a monstrous ride, not any single sky team was there. So I guess the next day, sky was more fresh than TS boy. But if you look at the GC results, sky seems to have an upperhand in the climbing department compare to TS with few of their riders in top 10.

Basso has won GT, and I think with proper training and new motivation, he is going to be a better domestique than Roche. I haven't seen Roche that stellar either when he rode for Alberto as I remember.

Jelantik said:
that's true. but on the day when alberto win, roche is no where to be found either. Basso pulled a monstrous ride, not any single sky team was there. So I guess the next day, sky was more fresh than TS boy. But if you look at the GC results, sky seems to have an upperhand in the climbing department compare to TS with few of their riders in top 10.

Basso has won GT, and I think with proper training and new motivation, he is going to be a better domestique than Roche. I haven't seen Roche that stellar either when he rode for Alberto as I remember.

I think Basso will be a great dom for Alberto, I'm guessing he will be doing the Giro-Tour double too?

inthepink said:
Ok...you are a cycling fan ...sorry

But you must be very old....

I'm old enough not to waste what time I have left on this earth responding to forum bait 99% of the time :).

Anyway the message is Don't paint everyone with the same brush. There are many Contador fans that appreciate and love Cycling. We will be fine when he retires. I have watched many grand riders retire, but few of his caliber. Cycling the sport continues in all it's glory and a new champion inevitably appears. Enjoy it!

rhubroma said:
There is so much that is wrong with this post that I don't even know where to begin.

First if Contador and Froome arrive in top shape and there isn't Paris-Roubaix in the rain on the third stage, then Nibali will likely be riding for third place. I can't see him dropping either on the big climbs, or going faster in the TTs. The only reason why he seemed to win with "one leg" last year is because those two fell off. Throw in a top Quintana and the podium becomes a real battle for the Sicilian.

Second he himself has said that repeating in July will be "very complicated", which is a tacet admission of the uniqueness of last year's circumstances (both as regards par course and the competition as it wound up).

Lastly Contador's best years are not behind him. Last year, even with crashing our of the Tour, was his best season as far as consistency is concerned, which is saying something for one who was not new to winning from March till September.

In any event the Tour is a long way off, but one thing is for sure: the pressure to win again will be tremendous.

I am not saying that Contador can't win the Tour, all I am saying is that Nibali who has not put a foot wrong in his last two GT wins, albeit not against Contador and Froome will be much closer to the win. Yes the circumstances in last year's Tour made it easier for Nibali but to my eyes he has definitely improved. He was in Yellow in the first week with a reasonable lead but many thought he would have been crushed in the mountains, who knows ? The way Contador rode in the Vuelta, his Tour form would have been extremely good.

No doubt Contador is still a great rider but the dominant 2011 Giro days are over and even though he wants to retire at the end of next year he would still be competitive. Quintana and Uran will add interest as well but Uran seems to have lost some of his climbing ability while improving his TT riding in a big way. If Quintana can ride the way he rode in the 2013 Tour it could be a very interesting Tour this year. Throw in a few jokers like Bardet and Porte to light up some stages, it should be a great race.

BlurryVII said:
http://www.biciciclismo.com/es/entr...tivacion-es-luchar-por-la-victoria-24-02-2015

Very, very interesting interview, he says a lot about this year, his form, his schedule, the way he tackles this season (much more relaxed than last year, only focused on Giro and Tour) and so on..

It's in spanish though

Thanks for the link. He hints he might stay longer in the peloton than it has been praised in the media-is also strange to read he's "listening" offers from other teams-perhaps a PR to secure his current salary. The other bit that caught my eye was his comment on his current "weight" which confirms what I noticed in Andaluc?a- maybe 2 kilos above racing form-but then again- he's on schedule to smash Il Giro & carry on to Le Tour....

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
inthepink said:
ray j willings you are totally insane :eek:

I am going to bow out and leave you all to it....

You can go on analysing and fawning over every tiny little thing Contador does and says in peace and agree with each other all day long

I would though advise a reality check because when Contador retires in 2016 there is going to be a massive void to fill and some of you may need therapy

"I am going to bow out and leave you all to it " Your words.
Yet the very next page you post a thread calling an old poster or someone
" a soon to die crumply faced metal walker" these are my words not yours.
I myself was older than my mum when she was born.
You see my point and its a simple one.
Bertie is " the greatest rider of his generation"

And I bet you 23p and a small cold fusion device that Bertie will win all 3 grand tours.

Bring it.

Speaking about the double, we should keep in mind that Riis has 3 failures in his managing career.
And although two of them can be taken with a pinch of salt, it's a double-edged sword in every sense.
But when you have the material - you should try.
That's what was annoying me during Postal/Disco years. Never even thought about the double.

ray j willings said:
"I am going to bow out and leave you all to it " Your words.
Yet the very next page you post a thread calling an old poster or someone
" a soon to die crumply faced metal walker" these are my words not yours.
I myself was older than my mum when she was born.
You see my point and its a simple one.
Bertie is " the greatest rider of his generation"

And I bet you 23p and a small cold fusion device that Bertie will win all 3 grand tours.

Bring it.

Absolutely Laughed Out Loud until the tears were running down my old and crumpled face! Ray you brighten my day :D

BTW I can still ride a century, miles not km, on a metal bike (not walker) but it takes the best part of a day now.

Anyway Alberto: In a separate interview with AS published on Tuesday, meanwhile, Contador added that while he will not ride for Spain at this year?s World Championships,

Crap!!! The Worlds are finally within ~300 miles from me (~500km) and he won't be coming. He has no chance on that course anyway. I will most likely still get my old bones down there as I've never seen a Worlds live!

sir fly said:
Speaking about the double, we should keep in mind that Riis has 3 failures in his managing career.
And although two of them can be taken with a pinch of salt, it's a double-edged sword in every sense.
But when you have the material - you should try.
That's what was annoying me during Postal/Disco years. Never even thought about the double.

Agreed. The more I learned about cycling (I'm a relative newby only picking the sport up in 2003), the more I couldn't understand why Lance didn't try for the double.

TRENDING THREADS