• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 972 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Miburo said:
The Hitch said:
SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:
I'll do an avatar with anyone, i don't care what pic i've to use for this year.

Contador will take twice at least a minute on anyone in a MTF in the giro and win with at least 3 min. Not more since he's not gonna try hard.
After confirming that this didn't happen even once in the Giro 2011, I will take the other side of this bet. Winning a MTF with a gap of 1 minute or more is simply very rare.

I wager that either Froome or Quintana will drop Contador for at least 30 seconds on a climb, at least twice, in the Tour.

When was the last time any gt contender actually won an mtf by a minute. Even Verbier wasn't a minute. Even Froome on AX3 wasn't a minute (well it was but not to Porte).

I don't see anyone capable of being even close to Contador. That simple really.

No one was even close to Froome in 2013 but he still didn't manage it, because Porte was just too good. Nibali did because was was vastly superior, because he did a 10km mountain time trial and because the other guys were in their own race for #2. Seems like all the other recent occurrences come from Lance.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:
The Hitch said:
SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:

Contador will take twice at least a minute on anyone in a MTF in the giro and win with at least 3 min. Not more since he's not gonna try hard.
After confirming that this didn't happen even once in the Giro 2011, I will take the other side of this bet. Winning a MTF with a gap of 1 minute or more is simply very rare.

I wager that either Froome or Quintana will drop Contador for at least 30 seconds on a climb, at least twice, in the Tour.

When was the last time any gt contender actually won an mtf by a minute. Even Verbier wasn't a minute. Even Froome on AX3 wasn't a minute (well it was but not to Porte).

No one was even close to Froome in 2013 but he still didn't manage it, because Porte was just too good. Nibali did because was was vastly superior, because he did a 10km mountain time trial and because the other guys were in their own race for #2. Seems like all the other recent occurrences come from Lance.

Froome got dropped twice in his tour win. There was no competition that year a bit like when Wiggo won.
Bertie was way off form.
Has Froome won a GT since? No. Has Bertie ? YES

Bertie Rules.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:
The Hitch said:
SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:

Quintana and purito were even/better than him in the last week.

The Hitch said:
Mozart92 said:
Contador is the favourite for sure this year. but don't forget Uran. This year might be the good one to reach the 1st place.
While I admire any username dedicated to mankind's greatest ever musical artist, uran has never done anything to warrant being mentioned next to contador for a gt.

2consecutive podiums in Il Giro sure he hasn't done anything worthy.Contador is red hot favorite,but to disregard Uran is ridiculous.Contador might not go full gas because he also targets TDF ,there is a long ITT,Uran has his chances.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

@Miburo:

Ok so the fact that it hasn't happened (winning MTF by >1min) except in very special circumstances (Nibali mtting against poor competition only concerned with themselves at his best ever climbing form being one, Lance Armstrong the other), and when it did happen, it happened only once doesn't deter you? :p

The bet is ON, then. Honestly, I think the odds of it happening are about 1%.

Re Froome's supposed weakness in the 3rd week of the Tour, he probably wasn't overly bothered with following all the moves when he had the MJ in the bag. That he is supposedly weak in the last week of GTs was further undermined by his performance in other GTs, including last year's Vuelta.

peloton said:
DBotero said:
Miburo said:
DBotero said:
Miburo i don't know what TDF you saw in 2013 but Froome was very strong in stage 20,maybe you should watch it again :rolleyes:

I don't get your comment, is it sarcasm used on someone else? I'm not sure

The idea that Froome was weaker in 3rd weak doesn't hold if you watch stage 20 again :)

Maybe take it to the Froome thread? :)

Why would i do that,i was responding to Miburo :confused:

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
DBotero said:
peloton said:
DBotero said:
Miburo said:
DBotero said:
Miburo i don't know what TDF you saw in 2013 but Froome was very strong in stage 20,maybe you should watch it again :rolleyes:

The idea that Froome was weaker in 3rd weak doesn't hold if you watch stage 20 again :)

Why would i do that,i was responding to Miburo :confused:

And you can all continue to do that, in the Froome thread.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
DBotero said:
Miburo said:
DBotero said:

Still don't get it, look at the results. Now unless my memory is ***, and somehow froome got in a position where being behind the 2 in the stage was proof of him being better, i'm still completely clueless.

Miburo said:
DBotero said:
Miburo said:
DBotero said:

Still don't get it, look at the results. Now unless my memory is ****, and somehow froome got in a position where being behind the 2 in the stage was proof of him being better, i'm still completely clueless.

He attacked very early in that stage,he didn't have to.He worked with J.Rod,ok J.Rod did most of it,Quintana just wheel sucked them.He was dropped very late by those 2 which had more ambitions on that stage,while he was already celebrating his TDF win.Imo he could have won that stage if he really wanted/needed.

peloton said:
DBotero said:
Miburo said:
DBotero said:

Good idea :)

SeriousSam said:
@Miburo:

Ok so the fact that it hasn't happened (winning MTF by >1min) except in very special circumstances (Nibali mtting against poor competition only concerned with themselves at his best ever climbing form being one, Lance Armstrong the other), and when it did happen, it happened only once doesn't deter you? :p
And Mayo and Sastre (and Rasmussen and Schleck.) And that's just in the Tour. I don't think it's impossible that Contador will do a RoboBasso.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/giro-del-trentino-2015/preview
Porte won the Volta a Catalunya in late March and before that Paris-Nice, and still leads the WorldTour rankings thanks to his consistency. He had a difficult 2014 and missed the Giro d’Italia but seems to be back to his very best. Porte is arguably now equal favourite for the Giro d’Italia alongside Alberto Contador (Tinkoff-Saxo) considering the Spaniard’s modest results of the spring, and an impressive performance at the Giro del Trentino will only shorten his odds and boost his confidence.

:p

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Cyclingnews guys are ***, most cyclist journalists are really dumb. One of the problems of the sport. A guy who hasn't proven anything in a GC of a GT is now equal to a guy who has won 8 GT's and looked fantastic last year.

Never take cyclist journalists serious, most of them are a bunch of idiots.

Re:

Miburo said:
Cyclingnews guys are ***, most cyclist journalists are really dumb. One of the problems of the sport. A guy who hasn't proven anything in a GC of a GT is now equal to a guy who has won 8 GT's and looked fantastic last year.

Never take cyclist journalists serious, most of them are a bunch of idiots.

It is highly amusing isn't it?

There has probably only been 4-5 riders in Contadors era during certain races that could even be considered close

Maybe Shleck, Evans (some years), Froome, Valverde or JRod?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Well Contador isn't always the favourite. Like, last year he wasn't for either the Tour or the Vuelta. This year he once again isn't for the Tour, and would not be even if it were his only target becausen Froome is regarded as slightly stronger. And even Quintana now.

But Richie? Nah.

TRENDING THREADS