• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 996 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
To be realistic on whether a 2013 repeat is likely, one would have to first understand what caused 2013. Is there any consensus on that?

I don't think there is consensus on that.. Riis and Contador were not very informative on that one..

Maybe it only takes a little bit of things going wrong to feck up a GT prep?

I dunno but AC never striked me as the type who only got it right every second year, so I doubt it is a general pattern of motivation issues or the like..

But I also don't think you could necessarily compare what went "wrong" in 13' to what "might" have been an issue this year... Different circumstances can cause same effect...

Re:

SeriousSam said:
To be realistic on whether a 2013 repeat is likely, one would have to first understand what caused 2013. Is there any consensus on that?

Don't think it the team or Contador ever came up with in explanation, but I think it was a bit of the following

- Contador, coming back from suspension, races till late 2012, instead of his usual early season exit
- Then, he had a lot of endorsement commitments in the off season, so he had to travel a lot
- He starts the season with either too little training or too little rest (or a combination of the two)
- He tries to catch up on form during the season, forces himself in Oman and Tirreno, getting sick in the latter
- races PV in horrible conditions, (was pretty bad in it too)
- goes to dauphine, sucks
- probaby overtrains for the Tour

- Is better than Froome in the canadian races

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
SeriousSam said:

Don't think it the team or Contador ever came up with in explanation, but I think it was a bit of the following

- Contador, coming back from suspension, races till late 2012, instead of his usual early season exit

- Then, he had a lot of endorsement commitments in the off season, so he had to travel a lot
- He starts the season with either too little training or too little rest (or a combination of the two)
- He tries to catch up on form during the season, forces himself in Oman and Tirreno, getting sick in the latter

In '13 he also raced late in the season and he was flying from the start in '14. The foundation wasn't in place. Not professional enough. Maybe he wanted to see how his teammates responded to the new training plans before training himself like how it's done in this new generation.

Netserk said:
SeriousSam said:
Not professional enough over the winter. The base wasn't there.

He showed in Ruta that the base is there this year. He also looks thinner/sharper now than in '13.

This, it's all 'bout that base

People getting worried cause he didn't massacre the pre season, but he was actually up there in Tirreno and Catalunya, he only got dropped by Porte (own mistake), Quintana (ask Ryo how good he is) and TGBM (the name says it, he's great)

If you've been to the Ligurian highlands then you would understand immediately why Tinkoff has taken the responsibility of the race. If you get car sick easily don't go there, for the narrow, serpentine rides will make you ill. There is literally a sharp curve about every 80 meters or so. The whole time. It's ridiculous.

No secrets here, or alternative motives, as De Jonge said. They just want to keep Contador safe and on his bike.

Red Rick said:
SeriousSam said:

None of the bolded matter. Ive seen guys including Contador peak after sucking all season, peak after doing a gt, peak despite having injuries. Some guys literally need 3 weeks to go from 0 to hero, look at Froome 2011 Vuelta, Andy Schleck 2011 and 2010.

Commitments in October 2012 should in no way have an impact on July 2013.

Its not like Froome had an ideal run up either, seeing as how he was on peak for 5 months before the Tour. But modern conditions allow for that.

There are few things I find on this forum as pathetic as when Contador fans try to cite races Froome was a) disadvantaged in, or b) didn't give a monkeys ass about, as evidence for Contador>Froome.

Seriously? September races. What Tour de France champion ever performs well in races in September after winning the Tour? That includes Contador who usually just goes back to Pinto after the Tour.

The Hitch said:
Red Rick said:
SeriousSam said:

None of the bolded matter. Ive seen guys including Contador peak after sucking all season, peak after doing a gt, peak despite having injuries. Some guys literally need 3 weeks to go from 0 to hero, look at Froome 2011 Vuelta, Andy Schleck 2011 and 2010.

Commitments in October 2012 should in no way have an impact on July 2013.

Its not like Froome had an ideal run up either, seeing as how he was on peak for 5 months before the Tour. But modern conditions allow for that.

There are few things I find on this forum as pathetic as when Contador fans try to cite races Froome was a) disadvantaged in, or b) didn't give a monkeys ass about, as evidence for Contador>Froome.

Seriously? September races. What Tour de France champion ever performs well in races in September after winning the Tour? That includes Contador who usually just goes back to Pinto after the Tour.

In fairness, Hitch, I don't think this was part of some long-running Contador vs Froome 'who is better at peak debate', (thank the merciful lord), I think it was a comment on his form's trajectory in 2013 and into 2014. No one seemed to me to be citing some Canadian race as proof that Contador was 'better' than Froome.

The Hitch said:

Your constant Contador & Contador fans bashing is quite pathetic too. Not sure what happened but gosh it's tiresome.

That was a joke

There was a reason that part was seperated from the rest.

Note to self, don't joke without smileys, it will be used against me

Also, it was a guess, and things that don't take their toll physically may take their toll mentally, Contador is, after all, human

LaFlorecita said:
The Hitch said:

Your constant Contador & Contador fans bashing is quite pathetic too. Not sure what happened but gosh it's tiresome.
Oh yeah?

If its "constant", then you'll have no problem showing me the last 2 or 3 times I "bashed" Contador fans.

"Contador fans" aren't infallible beings. A lot of you can be very annoying. Some are straight up trolls. Red Rick isn't one of them actually most of the time, but whenever someone says something stupid I call them out, I don't care which silly tribe they claim to belong to.
Mentioning Contador beating Froome in the 2013 Canadian races, for any other reason than to celebrate a succesfull bet, (*edit, or joke* :p ) is silly. Its not the only occasion some Contador fan insists on claiming some race Froome clearly wasn't in form for, as a score for the Contador camp.

I call things out when i think they are stupid or annoying.

I don't care how the Contador Taliban and their leader Mullah Fleurhamed Omar react.

Ps, and rest assured no one wants Contador to do the double (and ainsi piss off the hypocrites) as much as me. But that doesn't mean I have to suddenly adhere to the party line of others just because they want the same thing.

The Hitch said:
LaFlorecita said:
The Hitch said:

Oh yeah?

If its "constant", then you'll have no problem showing me the last 2 or 3 times I "bashed" Contador fans.

"Contador fans" aren't infallible beings. A lot of you can be very annoying. Some are straight up trolls. Red Rick isn't one of them actually most of the time, but whenever someone says something stupid I call them out, I don't care which silly tribe they claim to belong to.
Mentioning Contador beating Froome in the 2013 Canadian races, for any other reason than to celebrate a succesfull bet, (*edit, or joke* :p ) is silly. Its not the only occasion some Contador fan insists on claiming some race Froome clearly wasn't in form for, as a score for the Contador camp.

I don't care how the Contador Taliban and their leader Mullah Fleurhamed Omar react.

Ps, and rest assured no one wants Contador to do the double (and ainsi piss off the hypocrites) as much as me. But that doesn't mean I have to suddenly adhere to the party line of others just because they want the same thing.

Point taken but, out of line much?

Red Rick said:

That was a joke

Note to self, don't joke without smileys, it will be used against me
It was obvious to me at least. I am not sure if Hitch really did not get that or just saw an opportunity and grabbed it.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
qwer said:
I also noticed it. he was too keen on the bike

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. He was spinning that very low gear, sat all the time... it reminded me of Port de Paillères 13' to be fair. :(
Those signs are very important, remember the Tour 13' when he said he was already having bad sensations in Corsica, he was doing his head tilt and was not out of the saddle on those first few climbs of the Tour.

He's gonna start doing a combination of seated Froome attacks and Pantani attacks to destroy the field. He will save his own superior trademarked AC style of mountain climbing for the Tour.

He really looked like Froome Today. But given that it's not his usual style, it's a bit worrying.

He looked fine to me. Besides he said already in his interview, the sensation is good. The next two days to come are still difficult stage so we'll see how his actual form is. But I doubt that he made the same mistake as 2013. He knows better now and train with more structured. So it's hard to say that his form isn't good.

The only thing that I can think of that might cause a little downside on the form is because he has minor fracture on his spine.(even none of us fans knows about that. We thought it's a small fall). That would have set him back a little compare to if he is 100% healthy going to altitude training camp. If I'm not mistaken he said that he was completely heal not after few days or a week before the giro start.

The Hitch said:
LaFlorecita said:
The Hitch said:

Oh yeah?

I hope you dont come hard on us basso fanboys or fan old men :D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Red Rick said:
Netserk said:
The Hitch said:
None of the bolded matter. Ive seen guys including Contador peak after sucking all season, peak after doing a gt, peak despite having injuries.
Example?

I think peaking means winning GT's while sucking in this case is relative for Contador, which is inconsistent.
Which is a nonsense (if Hitch thinks what you wrote).Peaking is reaching the best form possible, not winning a GT. (2012 e.g.)

Also, Hi Zam :eek: ;)

Red Rick said:
Netserk said:
The Hitch said:
None of the bolded matter. Ive seen guys including Contador peak after sucking all season, peak after doing a gt, peak despite having injuries.
Example?

I think peaking means winning GT's while sucking in this case is relative for Contador, which is inconsistent.
When has he done that after sucking all season? He sucked in 2013. It's the only year where he has sucked all season and he didn't peak in the Tour there. He was shït in the Tour as well.

edit:
The Hitch said:
Netserk said:
The Hitch said:
Example?
What I meant was that in general guys have peaked after having any one of those things. For Contador 2 (after doing a gt) and 3 (injuries) are valid, not 1.
Okay, just badly worded then.

TRENDING THREADS