• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 998 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I didn't see any of tells that indicate his form is bad (head position, grimaces). I think he looks in terrific shape and has a really positive/confident outlook. If he loses time tomorrow, it won't be because he gets out climbed, but out sprinted. Also, I think the black shoes make him look slower on the bike. Frankly I hate them

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The crucial part from what he said which makes me believe he is in good form is not "I have good sensations" but "this is important".
He would never say "this is important" if he wasn't good. Last year, I remember at the dauphiné he was always saying "winning could be bonus but having good sensations is what matters for me"

Re:

Publicus said:
I didn't see any of tells that indicate his form is bad (head position, grimaces). I think he looks in terrific shape and has a really positive/confident outlook. If he loses time tomorrow, it won't be because he gets out climbed, but out sprinted. Also, I think the black shoes make him look slower on the bike. Frankly I hate them
Well yes I agree that he seems very positive and upbeat (as I posted earlier) he seems very happy and that makes me happy :)

Re:

Yeah. If anything one should take him with a pinch of salt concerning his conditions. It doesnt perhaps reveals the form of his life but he is not saying its bad either. Just where he wants to be right now.

Personally i think that in order to do the double he has to face it with a slightly different approach than in the past. Obviously an emphasis on a strong team has been given and the content is perhaps letting Tinkoff control and protect a slightly less fit Alberto until the second or third week. There they hope he will be close to a peak but not entirely so that they will have something to work from in July.

Obviously they've learned something from 2011.

Re:

BlurryVII said:
The crucial part from what he said which makes me believe he is in good form is not "I have good sensations" but "this is important".
He would never say "this is important" if he wasn't good. Last year, I remember at the dauphiné he was always saying "winning could be bonus but having good sensations is what matters for me"
You have a point there

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Publicus said:
Well yes I agree that he seems very positive and upbeat (as I posted earlier) he seems very happy and that makes me happy :)

Seems to me there's a lot being read into a pretty minimal amount of info. He followed Aru's attack without any problem at all. You could look at today's stage and ask why Porte or Aru couldn't do more of an attack, given Alberto was isolated. Especially Aru, after all that effort from Astana. Interesting skirmish. More of a worry for me is the weird team tactics…I would definitely feel easier if Riis were around, frankly.

Be interesting to see tomorrow but though don't think he's in scintillating form yet, I don't see much to worry about.

Agree the shoes are horrible and look heavy.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
well well.. what a thrilling stage so far!! can't ask for more. Who da' thought huh? you don't need monstrous mountain and long stage to make the race exciting. Astana is superb today. Demolition derby in the process. Like everyone here, I'm a little worry about contador's form. For some reason, he doesn't strike me as having the vibe of 'top shape'. But today's I don't see him having issue following Aru's attack, either. He seems very cautious than usual. So don't' know what to read of that. Is he not confidence with his shape or is he just hiding card closed to his chest? Tomorrow will be a telling. The last climb isn't hard but gradually long. Seems to tailored made to Sky hard tempo train.

I'm not sure what happen with Astana team tomorrow, they spend tons of energy to reel in Kreuziger. All in all, putting Kreuziger upfront, really worked out. Astana had no choice but to come out and play. Interestingly enough Sky didn't bite. I have a feeling tomorrow, will be sky turn to ride hard. Porte predicted there's going a massive shuffle on GC standing (is he signaling he is going to attack? :D ). Hmm, the marginal gain moto-home seems to start working its magic on Porte. He looks very comfy

CE0d9teUkAAJwoD.jpg

Jelantik said:
well well.. what a thrilling stage so far!! can't ask for more. Who da' thought huh? you don't need monstrous mountain and long stage to make the race exciting. Astana is superb today. Demolition derby in the process. Like everyone here, I'm a little worry about contador's form. For some reason, he doesn't strike me as having the vibe of 'top shape'. But today's I don't see him having issue following Aru's attack, either. He seems very cautious than usual. So don't' know what to read of that. Is he not confidence with his shape or is he just hiding card closed to his chest? Tomorrow will be a telling. The last climb isn't hard but gradually long. Seems to tailored made to Sky hard tempo train.

I'm not sure what happen with Astana team tomorrow, they spend tons of energy to reel in Kreuziger. All in all, putting Kreuziger upfront, really worked out. Astana had no choice but to come out and play. Interestingly enough Sky didn't bite. I have a feeling tomorrow, will be sky turn to ride hard. Porte predicted there's going a massive shuffle on GC standing (is he signaling he is going to attack? :D ). Hmm, the marginal gain moto-home seems to start working its magic on Porte. He looks very comfy

CE0d9teUkAAJwoD.jpg

I'm not super impressed by the Sky train from the showing thus far. They haven't been called upon to do much in the race thus far and yet Porte wasn't surrounded by too many of his team during the Astana tow and a couple of thm have been off the back for a couple of days.

As for Porte's comments - well, I tend to believe the opposite of what they say to be honest. Hearing the Astana DS interviewed yesterday on ES and saying it wasn't a day for GC and I knew they'd do something.

Seems to me TS should try to get Aru in pink…burn off some of that train before week 3, and less troublesome in the ITT than Porte. Unless something has changed in Aru there too. They need to get Sky and Astana to focus on one another a bit more…feels like TS is in the gunsights of both.

I think Contador looks fine. It was a tough stage. Uran is the one who should be more worried. Contador had no team mates with him at the finish but that is not unusual either. Astana rode a smart race as did GE. Tinkoff should bring back Riis as tactically the flaws are already showing.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Contador confirmed to reporters that he asked Roman to drive hard in the descent to the finish to gain time on Uran...apparently Uran has been suffering from cold since the beginning of this week

Re:

indianfanboy said:
I think today's stage will be very similar to the 2014 Tirreno stage 4 where Contador sprinted to victory in the last 100 metres

This scenario could happen again. But he needs to save strength for the sprint. Letting Little Richie close the gap to an attacking Aru would be ideal. Otherwise, I unfortunately think that both Aru and Porte are faster in a sprint.

The seconds will be crucial.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Kreuziger should attack early in the climb to make Aru and Porte to chase him and tow Contador to the line.....i doubt Aru will be isolated Kangert,Tiralongo and Cataldo look very strong and i am sure Astana will send someone in the breakaway to help Aru later

Re:

indianfanboy said:
Kreuziger should attack early in the climb to make Aru and Porte to chase him and tow Contador to the line.....i doubt Aru will be isolated Kangert,Tiralongo and Cataldo look very strong and i am sure Astana will send someone in the breakaway to help Aru later
Yep. Yesterday I thought that sending Kreuziger out was a dumb move, but it turned out to be a great move. Kreuziger has a fast finish. So even if they caught him in the last K, he could still win the sprint.

Ehhehe. It is a curious thing.
From the beginning of his career, he is considered the favorite of every race in which it participates. But then suffered from the earliest stages are starting to speculate about his poor form. Always. There is a race where the first mountain you see it well ... or at least normal. always it seems at all out of shape and / or suffer like a dog. Ah Ah
Montevergine 2011 on all.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

Velolover2 said:
indianfanboy said:
Yep. Yesterday I thought that sending Kreuziger out was a dumb move, but it turned out to be a great move. Kreuziger has a fast finish. So even if they caught him in the last K, he could still win the sprint.

That wasn't a great move, contador got extremely lucky astana went full genius.

Miburo said:
Velolover2 said:
indianfanboy said:

That wasn't a great move, contador got extremely lucky astana went full genius.

Lucky? It would be hilarious stupid if they let a dangerous bloke like Kreutziger running away with it. They took it tranquilo at first but when the moment Tinkoff started to race their own it provoced a reaction looking as if a riot had occured and Roman raced his own captain. At that point Astana couldnt take it easy any longer.

It was a brilliant move if a strategy it was.

TRENDING THREADS