• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1044 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Metabolol said:
Carols said:
Okay so someone explain to me what is to be gained by saying you're injured if you are not? If I was competing I'd be much more likely to take it to the injured party. After all cycling is about finding weakness in your opponents and exploiting it to your advantage. So what is he gaining by saying he hurt his shoulder and leg that were already injured. I can see how it is very possible those 2 areas are worse then when he got on the bike this AM, after all he fell on previously injured body parts. But why say so?

Many athletes operate this way. It's a way to keep your opponents guessing in general sense (it doesn't have to be tied to one specific incident) and also as a way to motivate and taking away pressure on yourself. He doesn't necessarily care if anyone believes that he is injured in his shoulder or leg.

Okay thanks that makes some sense.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
I think he needs to have an excuse in case things don't go his way (not that it happens often, but that's beside the point). In other words, it's because of his personality rather than a strategy, in my opinion. As a bonus, the media and the fans will talk up his exploits, since those "injuries" make everything more "heroic".
Looks like you are right.I dont like this talk at all and as Carol said what would be a point to say that?The only (longtime) option is this.I feel pissed off, I see things coming so late when its related with AC.

Only One champion for me today.Tossato! :)

Re:

What difference a day makes. 24 little hours. For the past two days the consensus was that Aru probably doesnt like rain and that his TT left a lot to desire while AC is pretty good at this and likes the rain. Tomorrow it rains and is a monster TT and "we" sees 19 seconds as the end of the World.

What difference a day makes.

Re:

BlurryVII said:
Tomorrow will be rainy, I don't expect anything anymore from this TT. Alberto may get the pink back just like he can lose time to Aru or even crash.

Barring a crash I highly doubt Aru will beat AC. AC will be in pink tomorrow. :cool:
I'm not worried when it comes to looking at the big picture, AC is of course still the favorite to win, I just wish he would have been able to keep the jersey for the sake of his record.

No_Balls said:
What difference a day makes. 24 little hours. For the past two days the consensus was that Aru probably doesnt like rain and that his TT left a lot to desire while AC is pretty good at this and likes the rain. Tomorrow it rains and is a monster TT and "we" sees 19 seconds as the end of the World.

What difference a day makes.

It's only the end of the world if he is to hurt to win. I still think he will win :)

ILovecycling said:
hrotha said:
I think he needs to have an excuse in case things don't go his way (not that it happens often, but that's beside the point). In other words, it's because of his personality rather than a strategy, in my opinion. As a bonus, the media and the fans will talk up his exploits, since those "injuries" make everything more "heroic".
Looks like you are right.I dont like this talk at all and as Carol said what would be a point to say that?The only (longtime) option is this.I feel pissed off, I see things coming so late when its related with AC.

I now believe it is the strategy of taking pressure off himself. That seems very possible as a strategy. He certainly does it other ways such as talking up his opponents, etc.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Carols said:
ILovecycling said:
hrotha said:

I now believe it is the strategy of taking pressure off himself. That seems very possible as a strategy. He certainly does it other ways such as talking up his opponents, etc.
I doubt he needs this, he is used to pressure and never did this...maybe you are right,.. I just dont know :(

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
You reckon (if able) kreuziger will go full gas tomorrow?

He is sitting tight in the GC and if things go wrong with Contador they might aim the podium with Kreuziger?

In any case it will be interesting to see Roman in a long TT like this and on the following high(er) mountains...

He surpirised me a bit early season with good form despite the unsolved case but maybe we will never know the potential here if Contador is back in tiny comfortable lead tomorrow...

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:
Okay so someone explain to me what is to be gained by saying you're injured if you are not? If I was competing I'd be much more likely to take it to the injured party. After all cycling is about finding weakness in your opponents and exploiting it to your advantage. So what is he gaining by saying he hurt his shoulder and leg that were already injured. I can see how it is very possible those 2 areas are worse then when he got on the bike this AM, after all he fell on previously injured body parts. But why say so?

well could be three things. But please don't scream at me since you ask :D . I'm also contador's fan. But I'm a little tired of hearing the injury keeps playing on the media. Uran crashed too, but he just moved on.
so here you go:
One is to make false security to his opponent (if in fact the injury wasn't that bad. But that's probably mean thing to do :D). two, if he even manages to win, then his win is more dramatic because he conquers crashes, dislocated injury and whatever kitchen sink the mother freakin' luck and nature has thrown him. (see how sweat vuelta win is. "Contador won Vuelta with one leg". Dramatic right?) Three, if he lost, we witnessed ourselves he has been out witted by the crash and bad luck since so far his leg hasn't been out climbed by any GC contender.

I guess the double is not about how much he lost his energy, is more about how bang up he is after the Giro. That's more concerning to me.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Alberto sounds so sad in his tweet :(

Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador
Bad day at Giro with the final crash,lost time,pink jersey&aching from the blows.Tomorrow59km ITT

Of course it hurts. But after warm up tomorrow he won't have any pain. No worries. He could have lost a minute or even two today and I still wouldn't doubt he'll win. That bruise won't affect the outcome.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
Contador said something about his leg after the stage. Any updates about that? I hope it's not that bad.

i was really hoping for fireworks on sunday. His leg is in functioning all 6 cylinders up until today. What the hell???

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

mrhender said:
You reckon (if able) kreuziger will go full gas tomorrow?

He is sitting tight in the GC and if things go wrong with Contador they might aim the podium with Kreuziger?

In any case it will be interesting to see Roman in a long TT like this and on the following high(er) mountains...

He surpirised me a bit early season with good form despite the unsolved case but maybe we will never know the potential here if Contador is back in tiny comfortable lead tomorrow...

Think so, he's so close in the GC, would be stupid not to.

Reckon Boaro will go full gas as well and give time/route references tomorrow.

Hopefully Alberto's not hurting too much, fcuking crashes :(

The Hitch said:
Publicus said:
Carols said:
Publicus said:
No_Balls said:
Nah. Just mind games from Martinelli speaking the language of Contador. Any DS bossing the strongest team throwing in the towel before we´ve even reached any serious mountains yet should be fired on spot.

But i´ll give him that it will be very hard if they are massacred on Saturday.

I agree. Martinelli is just playing mind games here.

With who? Alberto already has the guys measure, he won't dismiss him though, he's to race savvy for that.

Perhaps he hopes that it will cause Contador to relax/stop viewing Aru as a threat to the maglia rosa.
:eek:
Damn, if only Andy Schleck had thought of this in 2010. He could have said "I'm not a threat to Contador" and then Contador would have just stopped viewing him as a threat (cos that's how it works innit) and he would have won the Tour. :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm taking the piss a little bit, but the point is there is no way in a million years Contador or any gc contender is going to stop taking an opponent seriously because of what they say.

In 2011 Contador was 5 minutes down and injured with 1 mountain stage to go and 2 seconds after he launched an attack every single yellow jersey contender was glued to his wheel.

There is absolutely no reason for any gc contender to stop taking another one seriously. It doesn't hurt them to be vigilant.

Besides Martineli and Contador worked together, won gts together and know eachother. Contador won't fall for any Martineli trick and Martineli will know Contador won't fall for some crap like this.

Imo martineli is being genuine. Last time Contador did the Giro Martineli announced that in his eyes Contador was already a more accomplished gt champion than Lance. He rates him very highly and he truly believes that Aru can't come close to him, so he says it.

I didn't say Contador would fall for it, just speculated as to what Martineli might be thinking trashing Aru's chances for overall

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Contador and De Jongh need to sit down and study the glorious Tours of 1999-2005. Perhaps they can figure out why Lance almost never suffered from any mishaps.

Jelantik said:
Carols said:

well could be three things. But please don't scream at me since you ask :D . I'm also contador's fan. But I'm a little tired of hearing the injury keeps playing on the media. Uran crashed too, but he just moved on.
so here you go:
One is to make false security to his opponent (if in fact the injury wasn't that bad. But that's probably mean thing to do :D). two, if he even manages to win, then his win is more dramatic because he conquers crashes, dislocated injury and whatever kitchen sink the mother freakin' luck and nature has thrown him. (see how sweat vuelta win is. "Contador won Vuelta with one leg". Dramatic right?) Three, if he lost, we witnessed ourselves he has been out witted by the crash and bad luck since so far his leg hasn't been out climbed by any GC contender.

I guess the double is not about how much he lost his energy, is more about how bang up he is after the Giro. That's more concerning to me.

When have I ever screamed at anyone on this forum dear Jelantik? Well maybe airstream, but I forgive myself :D

The 'false security' and 'relieve pressure' I can entertain. I doubt it is for drama, he lets his legs and attacking nature create the drama. And he creates plenty of it! And three I don't believe for one second that he ever thinks he will lose, he believes he will always find a way. That is who he is, thinking like a winner.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Carols said:
Jelantik said:
Carols said:

so here you go:

When have I ever screamed at anyone on this forum dear Jelantik? Well maybe airstream, but I forgive myself :D

The 'false security' and 'relieve pressure' I can entertain. I doubt it is for drama, he lets his legs and attacking nature create the drama. And he creates plenty of it! And three I don't believe for one second that he ever thinks he will lose, he believes he will always find a way. That is who he is, thinking like a winner.

LOL.. I know you never. You are the nicest poster in here :) . The 3rd one is just.. you never know. But I do believe Contador mantra is "WHEN THERE'S A WILL, THERE'S A WAY". If there's nothing wrong with his leg moving forward, looks like the Giro win is between him and the mother of luck.. :D

Dude does hardly believe in himself either:

“I’ve worked for the time trial, it’s a different time trial to those of recent years. It’s long and usual. We also ride it after 13 hard stages, in the heat and now in the cold. I think it’ll all depend on what energy he have in our legs at the start. I'll give it everything but we’ll only know what will happen after the stage, not before it.

“It’s an advantage to know the times of the riders who start before me but everyone will give it their all. The differences will depend on the energy you have in your legs. The pink jersey won’t make a big difference.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aru-savours-becoming-the-first-ever-sardinian-in-pink-at-the-giro-ditalia

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Contador and De Jongh need to sit down and study the glorious Tours of 1999-2005. Perhaps they can figure out why Lance almost never suffered from any mishaps.

What happened over a decade ago applies today? stop trolling please

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Contador probably doesn't even care that much. Tomorrow's TT will tell all until the high slopes. The TT is an interim check. It will set their psychological state. Whoever does well will have that mental advantage going into the mountains. The fireworks are about to begin...very intriguing Giro to say the least... immensely enjoyable!

TRENDING THREADS