• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1049 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Berto when asked if he will approach the third week like Indurain:

"Sometimes the best defense is a good attack"
:D

LOL.. I knew it!! his new nick name suits him.. "anaconda".. squeeze it tight then go for the kill. VAMOS BERTIE!

Re:

Everybody knows he will attack. The question is which stage. I am sure he wants to win tomorrow and the Aprica-stage.

The_Cheech said:
Aru was burned to a crisp today. There's no way he has enough gas in the tank to put in a meaningful attack.

His best chance is to swallow his pride and aim to consolidate his second spot. Either that or hope that Alberto has another crash.

Aru might have a harder fight keeping his second place then having hopes of catching Contador. He did a decent TT but so did the likes of Landa (did better after he was passed) who is both within striking distance from Aru and has looked throughout better upphills. Im not yet convinced Fabio is the card to play.

It's always a good day to look like a moron!
Not again Velasco...

sptdw5023_670.jpg

Re:

Red Rick said:
He can probably win any mountain stage he wants right now, but I doubt he'll put much effort in to control the break. He might just go yolo on Mortirolo or Finestre though, especially Mortirolo if it's raining, gaining time to be able to descend very calmly
Mortirolo Bertie will be like 2011 Gardeccia I think. Mostly marking. Might go once or twice.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
I know it's not officially a "Triple Triple" since he was deprived his victories from 10 'and 11'. But isn't Contador the only one who has won all GT's three times if (or rather when) he wins the Giro this year?

I'm not even sure Merckx has a 3x3 record.
Yes, he would be the only one. Right now he & Hinault are the only ones with (at least) 2 wins in every GT.

(I think :p )

edit: GRRR Netserk beat me to it :mad: :p

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
LaFlorecita said:
OMG :eek:

So close!

People can never say Alberto is overrated in long TTs, ever again :mad: :D

Only sky fans who watched this sport for 3 years said that.
And Taxus :p

Contador has not his best in long ITT, but today he was superb, he was much better that everybody, including Kiryenka, I dont have time now, but we will analyse.Today ITT is to put big time if you have a good day.The experience counts a lot as well. He did the ITT of a champion. I have to say that some riders werent at his best, but anyway Contador put a big time.

By the way, hesjedal was far of Contador, but he was one of the closest of the last riders (similar wind), despite he has lost more energy than the others, some days in breakaways, and the rest clo to the best.

Re:

Netserk said:
Merckx only has one Vuelta. Hinault is the only rider, besides Contador, who has won all three at least twice. No one has (yet) won all three thrice.

Hinault is the only rider who has won all three GTs at least twice. I know a lot of you think Bert can just mail this in, but he hasn't won yet, and 2011 doesn't count.

But assuming he does win this, he would have won all three three times on the road.

Merckx index said:
Netserk said:
Merckx only has one Vuelta. Hinault is the only rider, besides Contador, who has won all three at least twice. No one has (yet) won all three thrice.

Hinault is the only rider who has won all three GTs at least twice. I know a lot of you think Bert can just mail this in, but he hasn't won yet, and 2011 doesn't count.
But assuming he does win this, he would have won all three three times on the road
Indeed & indeed, it's not over yet and don't you people dare jinx him :mad: and he would have won 3x3 on the road ;)

Netserk said:
Velolover2 said:
I'm also sure that Contador is the only rider with multiple GT wins without having any 2nd and 3rd podium spots.

And isn't he one of the few, if not the only current rider, with podium spots in all three Grand Tours? I can't remember if Basso has one in the Vuelta.
viewtopic.php?p=1534949#p1534949
Lol, how could I forget Nibali. And I didn't remember that Purito has been on the podium in all of the 3 GTs.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
this from the horses's mouth. He is not thinking of Tour (conserving energy). I think he wants to leave Giro with good memory.. with a memorable attack perhaps? ;)

"It would be a mistake [to already focus on the Tour]. Yesterday is a good example: I fell 3.2km from the finish line. I didn't lose too much time because I got up quicky, saw that my bike wasn't in good shape and got another one from a team-mate. But the same thing could happen tomorrow. No, I'll take this race day by day, and then I'll start thinking about the Tour de France.

"I've ridden many Grand Tours, many of them as leader, and your form stays in your legs. Fabio [Aru] didn't have a good day today, but he might have a great one tomorrow at Madonna di Campiglio. I don't know if I'll come back to the Giro d'Italia next year, so I want to make the most of every moment."

Publicus said:
Marco Pantani said:
Astana will attack him big time tomorrow. It's not over yet.
They can and will, but their cards are all gone now. The only person he has to follow is Aru. If Landa attacks the others fighting for a podium position will respond. AC just has to stay upright and eat (no bonking please).

Visions of Froome at the Vuelta last year...... :D ;)

Jelantik said:
this from the horses's mouth. He is not thinking of Tour (conserving energy). I think he wants to leave Giro with good memory.. with a memorable attack perhaps? ;)

"It would be a mistake [to already focus on the Tour]. Yesterday is a good example: I fell 3.2km from the finish line. I didn't lose too much time because I got up quicky, saw that my bike wasn't in good shape and got another one from a team-mate. But the same thing could happen tomorrow. No, I'll take this race day by day, and then I'll start thinking about the Tour de France.

"I've ridden many Grand Tours, many of them as leader, and your form stays in your legs. Fabio [Aru] didn't have a good day today, but he might have a great one tomorrow at Madonna di Campiglio. I don't know if I'll come back to the Giro d'Italia next year, so I want to make the most of every moment."

With the exception of today, he has not really seemed to dig very deeply. Of course there are still many mountains to go.

Jelantik said:

Sounds sensible. No complacency. I just hope he's going to feel good and enjoy himself without going completely nutty.

LaFlorecita said:
trevim said:
Is it just me or the 2011 pink was way more beautiful than this shock pink jersey 2015? Still it's great to see him in that thing :)
Agree (see my avi ;) ) but this color goes surprisingly well with fluo yellow and bright blue :p

Such is the world we live in. Anything that doesn't blind you isn't really trying. Sad. We're losing all sense of modesty and balance aren't we?

TRENDING THREADS