• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1055 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Contador’s approach to this Giro is unique. With the Tour on the horizon, he admitted he is trying to spend the smallest amount of energy possible to win the pink jersey. He wants to come out of Italy with the tank as full as possible.

To win a stage is secondary. I cannot put in risk the GC to try to win a stage. If I manage to win a stage, great, but the objective is to win the GC above all,” Contador said. “With the stages ahead of us, we are talking about one hour of hard effort on the final climb. That’s something you have to think about when looking ahead to the rest of the program.

So does this mean he will come out tomorrow to slay them and win a stage? Or will he really go conservative and just defend?

Hopefully he is in a position to have a stage win be there for the taking without to much effort :).
http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/news/contador-on-giro-pink-nothing-is-won-yet_371609

EDIT: And hopefully he isn't isolated 30km from the finish again.....

Carols said:
Contador’s approach to this Giro is unique. With the Tour on the horizon, he admitted he is trying to spend the smallest amount of energy possible to win the pink jersey. He wants to come out of Italy with the tank as full as possible.

To win a stage is secondary. I cannot put in risk the GC to try to win a stage. If I manage to win a stage, great, but the objective is to win the GC above all,” Contador said. “With the stages ahead of us, we are talking about one hour of hard effort on the final climb. That’s something you have to think about when looking ahead to the rest of the program.

So does this mean he will come out tomorrow to slay them and win a stage? Or will he really go conservative and just defend?

Hopefully he is in a position to have a stage win be there for the taking without to much effort :).
http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/news/contador-on-giro-pink-nothing-is-won-yet_371609

I doubt Berto will come out to play, I guess he will just follow wheels. But who knows, maybe he can outsprint Astana's dynamic duo for the stage win :p

“Aru felt that Alberto was strong in the final kilometers so they aimed to move Landa into third place in the GC and they did a good job. Of course Alberto would like a stage win but the most important aspect is to win the Giro and prepare for the Tour. At the end of the day, it’s the pink jersey in Milano that matters the most and we still have some very demanding stages ahead of us, where Alberto will be in his element”.

http://www.tinkoffsaxo.com/news/alberto-contador-extends-overall-lead-atop-madonna-di-campiglio/

Remember that he dismissed controlling the race Indurain-style when the fact is that his own riding and TS is resembling old Banesto in every little detail of the race this far. Mig also used Giro as a prep for the Tour back in the days. As far as what the press conference goes i wont call out this as BS because on the very first mountain stage his actions revealed him riding more with his brain over his heart which, as far as the double goes, was very good and made me very happy. Saying stage victories are secondary is normally unheard of.

Typically Contador still leaves us guessing with that "best defense is attack", "if my legs feel good" quote left hanging in the air. But that could go either way since i bet he calculates his options with the efforts to bring home the rewards and every wrong move could throw the double out of the window.

Carols said:

IMHO he will be able to win a stage without using to much energy. Yesterday he looked completely at ease and it seemed to me like he would have been able to drop them whenever he wanted. I don't think he'll have too much trouble attacking late in a stage to take a stage win. For the sake of the Tour I hope he doesn't do any long range attacks. As was just said above; I agree I think he rode with his head yesterday.

Looking ahead towards July, who will ride support for Contador? So far we know that Contador, Majka, and Sagan will be lining up for sure. Besides that, Kiserlovski is being counted on for support in the mountains. Mick will be there. They obviously can't be sure of Roman's status in July, so who else? How much support are they willing to commit to Sagan on the flats?

1- Contador
2- Majka
3- P. Sagan
4- Kiserlovski
5- Mick
6-
7-
8-
9-

Boaro
Bodnar
Basso
Edward Beltran
Bennati
Breschel
Brutt
Hanson
Hernandez
Juul-Jensen
Kolar
Kreuziger
McCarthy
Morkov
Paulhino
Petrov
Da Silva Pires
Poljanski
Rovny
J. Sagan
P. Sagan
CA Sorenson
Tosatto
Trusov
Valgren
Zaugg

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Valgren - Bodnar - Bennati, especially Bennati is almost certain

edit: maybe Zaugg? He would ride the Giro, apparently, but a crash in Pais Vasco made that impossible.
edit2: and De Jongh wouldn't rule out that Tosatto would ride the TDF :p

Sagan can do well in the lower hills, but is he willing to put aside his own ambitions? That's worries me a bit. They really do need for Roman to be in the clear and back to his best.

And they also need a team strong enough to put time in the Dawg in the TTT.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
perico said:
Looking ahead towards July, who will ride support for Contador? So far we know that Contador, Majka, and Sagan will be lining up for sure. Besides that, Kiserlovski is being counted on for support in the mountains. Mick will be there. They obviously can't be sure of Roman's status in July, so who else? How much support are they willing to commit to Sagan on the flats?

1- Contador
2- Majka
3- P. Sagan
4- Kiserlovski
5- Mick
6-
7-
8-
9-

I agree those 5 look incredibly likely and would be surprised if one of them isn't there.

As for the other 4 spots, Bennati and Hernandez would take 2. Almost certain on this.

Kreuziger if he's available, otherwise they might take Sorenson ?

Then to fill the last spot one of Breschel/Bodnar/Morkov/Valgren. Or two of those if no Kreuziger/Sorenson.

There will be a lot of fighting for those last two spots, could be a number of riders.

Edit: Seriously how do you pick between Breschel/Bodnar/Morkov/Valgren ? Do you just roll a dice or ? :D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Vino attacks everyone said:
Majka and Kiser really need to be in top top shape this July, or else Sky, movistar and Astana will tear them to pieces
Exactly what came to my mind when I was reading those names.Hopefuly they'll, Alberto will need them more than his Giro team.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Majka and Kiser really need to be in top top shape this July, or else Sky, movistar and Astana will tear them to pieces

I don't agree, he won't get destroyed by them cause they're with 3.

Contador isn't the big favorite to win. And unless those team can crush contador and drop him with an insane pace (which won't happen) it don't matter.

If someone of sky goes (who is gc relevant) astana and movistar have to chase too.

I would say having a bad team in the tour won't be that bad. Many other teams to do the work.

Not that i think contador's team will be bad. Majka on top shape was the 2nd best climber in the tour last year.

And majka showed shape during romandie.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
FWIW Jesus is far from certain apparently, in fact I heard he isn't riding the Tour :confused:

Not to worry. Alberto has a little stuffed cat named Jesús that he's been carrying around at the Giro. He can take it to the Tour just as easily.

055-daz10_1.jpg

It's also why he rooms with Basso. Basso understands these things, and doesn't make fun of him for sleeping cuddled up with his little toy.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Miburo said:

I don't agree, he won't get destroyed by them cause they're with 3.

Contador isn't the big favorite to win. And unless those team can crush contador and drop him with an insane pace (which won't happen) it don't matter.

If someone of sky goes (who is gc relevant) astana and movistar have to chase too.

I would say having a bad team in the tour won't be that bad. Many other teams to do the work.

Not that i think contador's team will be bad. Majka on top shape was the 2nd best climber in the tour last year.

And majka showed shape during romandie

Well, that depends who's majka showing up? He has been plaque with overtraining, sickness, form improvement all season long up until the last race. So Kiserlovski and Majka better show up in tip top form. We can forgive them for their lack cluster form at the beginning of the season, come TDF there's no room for excuses. Rogers and Basso have the giro leg. Kreuziger who knows with CAS. UCI has a record to win case every time it's involved biological passport. The rest of the climber, I don't know who else? Paulinho? giro leg. Hernandez is another possible fresh leg. Sagan? maybe for flat and medium mountain?. Boaro? giro leg. Sky will have some fresh leg climbing power, Poehl, Henao, Lopez, Roche, Kennaugh, Gerraint. Nibali don't know who's left in astana that's not on Giro.(looks like the Giro team is all the strongest rider there). Fuglsang, Agnoli, and ?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Valgren - Bodnar - Bennati, especially Bennati is almost certain

edit: maybe Zaugg? He would ride the Giro, apparently, but a crash in Pais Vasco made that impossible.
edit2: and De Jongh wouldn't rule out that Tosatto would ride the TDF :p

ufh.. that's going to be tough. I would love to see boaro, tosatto and juul-jensen back in the tour. But then TS got so many riders with Giro leg. No good. Better got someone with fresher leg. Agreed w/ Benna. He can replace Tossa and Bodnar replaces juul-jensen, he has been great in the flat and he is in good form. Valgreen replacing Romyn or Boaro. Jesper Hansen, just won tour Norway, so he is in a good form. But 3 weeks TDF isn't a kid mountain. Beltran is another long mountain climber, but he hasn't show up his form to proof that he is the domestique for the high mountain. CAS? he is up and down. Zaugg? crashed. I wish TS will try to get Kennaugh, Landa and NIeve since they are all out of contract eoy. So far their secondary climber, are very thin. We'll see who earns the spot at TDF in Dauphene.

How much time can he lose in the 28km TTT without a decent team?

Bennati will go, Alberto loves him as his pilot fish on the flats and in the sprint stages. Jesus if he has decent form will be more useful then Basso has been, even if he is dropped after the first 5km of the TTT. Valgren will ride his heart out and legs off. I just hope he has more support then he has had here, because it's been pretty light :(. Hopefully Mick recovers well because he's been the best of them and will be great in the TTT.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:

Bennati will go, Alberto loves him as his pilot fish on the flats and in the sprint stages. Jesus if he has decent form will be more useful then Basso has been, even if he is dropped after the first 5km of the TTT. Valgren will ride his heart out and legs off. I just hope he has more support then he has had here, because it's been pretty light :(. Hopefully Mick recovers well because he's been the best of them and will be great in the TTT.

bodnar is an ITT champs (so does Morkov). So bodnar will be good for flat and TTT. Tossa is big so his body alone can shield contador from the wind :D . But he is 41, and w/ Giro leg.. hm dunno. Rogers only have few days of racing before Giro. So he should have enough in his tank. But if Majka and Kiser don't show up w/ great form, game over, TS will be weaker than their Giro team.

Re:

Carols said:

His support at the Giro is great on paper (and we can't complain about how the team has performed on the flat and hilly stages) however bad shape is a thing and all 3 of Alberto's climbing doms seem to be suffering from it. It might be the same at the Tour or maybe Kiserlovski, Majka and Mick will be in great shape. Who knows, it's impossible to predict.

Didn't Oleg bring any decent Russians on board? What is Brutt up to? He Owes Alberto for 2011 :)

Wow, we're all assuming the Giro is a done deal and are moving on. 5 stages to get through without any mechanicals, crashes, etc. before the parade stage where he can be in Pink from top to toe :)

It's gonna be 4way battle, and Sky will bring the A team, they know only one tactic, which is to drill it until the end of days. Contador won't need a team except for the ttt and flat, medium stages unless he takes the jersey early, and even in that case, he'll probably have 8 black teammates and a black dawg working for him

Re:

Some nice words from Aru here about the champ:

“I don’t want to seem big headed but I’m happy that Contador is at the Giro. He’s a ‘mostro sacro’ –a legend, of cycling. I learnt a lot by racing against him, Froome and Valverde at last year’s Vuelta and I’ve learnt more this year at the Giro,” he said.

Aru appears to know he has time on his side. He started road racing relatively late for an Italian after focusing on cyclo-cross until he was 19. He admitted that there is only a slim chance he will ride the Tour de France after the Giro d’Italia. Instead he is expected to continue his Grand Tour development by again riding the Vuelta a Espana for a second year.

Aru again played down any rivalry with teammate Mikel Landa or question about his loyalty after Contador was seen giving him a congratulatory hug after his win in Madonna di Campiglio.

“I don’t see anything behind it all, just a sincere congratulation form Alberto. He’s like that, he’s a gentleman. He often congratulates me and calls me campeon,” Aru revealed.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aru-ive-not-lost-hope-at-the-giro-ditalia

TRENDING THREADS