• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1057 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He dealt with this possibility of a disaster like a legend. Took control of the situation and turned it to his advantage, never in a state of panick, chased down the sneaky cowardly attempt in the absolute right moment, used his influence when having Anton pulling for him (thanks Igor), punished the "pretender" brutally when letting him feel how lonely life can be when trying to act like a complete coward. This was a true spettacolo cementing his legacy.

Need.some.rest.

Re: Re:

gunara said:
Velolover2 said:
This could be a epic battle. Still 3 mountain stages to go.

The game is on. I don't even think Contador thinks about saving energy anymore. He wants one of these stages so bad. He wants to beat Landa.

I think the same. There's a chance he won't take it anymore. I don't know if he'll succeed beating Landa, but he will try.
He should just sit on his wheel all the time. It's not even about winning, it's about showing Landa that he is stronger.

If Aru attacks, others would be able to follow him and win the stage. He is also too far behind. But if Landa attacks, he should be glued to his wheel. Tinkoff shouldn't even work to. It's all up to Astana.

gunara said:
Velolover2 said:
This could be a epic battle. Still 3 mountain stages to go.

The game is on. I don't even think Contador thinks about saving energy anymore. He wants one of these stages so bad. He wants to beat Landa.

I think the same. There's a chance he won't take it anymore. I don't know if he'll succeed beating Landa, but he will try.

I hope Contador does not try to go head to head or win a stage. I hope he sits on Landa and keeps the 4 min gap that Landa lost in the ITT, thus allowing him to conserve for the tour. He is only human and the other teams want him to go deep here. It's a bigger stick in their eye if he does not. Let Landa sprint for climbs...his TT sucks and that is why he is 4 min on GC.

The attack after he caught Aru+Landa was very stupid. It was clear hes stronger than Aru, but If he wouldve just sat on Arus wheel Landa wouldnt be unleashed until the giro was over. He couldve saved so much energy today and the rest of the mountain stages.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
ay ay ay ... cringe worthy.

“It was a really beautiful day for me, maybe even more than the last one,” Landa said. “We saw that Contador had a problem and Katusha rode the group full gas and we collaborated with them.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Contador is the strongest! If we reverse the situation Landa would never lead the race! Not even close.

From now on he will be glued to Landa. Let's see if Landa can drop Contador mano a mano.

He should just sit on Landa like a Boss and save a bit for le Tour! Don't make it easier for the others there by going to deep. He was very emotional post stage, the relief must be Enormous! Every pedal rev of the Motorola was a dagger in the heart of Astana and an addition to his legend.

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SuperBesse said:
The attack after he caught Aru+Landa was very stupid. It was clear hes stronger than Aru, but If he wouldve just sat on Arus wheel Landa wouldnt be unleashed until the giro was over. He couldve saved so much energy today and the rest of the mountain stages.
True in hindsight, but it's Contador so he probably thought he was able to ride away from both Astanas. But if Aru stayed close he would have to watch both, now he only has to mark Landa.

Squirbos_19 said:
SuperBesse said:
True in hindsight, but it's Contador so he probably thought he was able to ride away from both Astanas. But if Aru stayed close he would have to watch both, now he only has to mark Landa.
..a Landa who doesn't have to wait for Aru anymore.

Re:

sunnyIce said:
ay ay ay ... cringe worthy.

“It was a really beautiful day for me, maybe even more than the last one,” Landa said. “We saw that Contador had a problem and Katusha rode the group full gas and we collaborated with them.

LOL at least he's not hiding behind excuses! I've always said it's a bike race not a tea party. It simply made the Champ show them what he has and he's the Boss of this race. They may take stage wins but Pink will not be theirs.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi all!
Contador fan here.
Amazing day to be Alberto's fan.
But Landa is the be... but if this..., if that, maybe if...what if...
but Alberto still have the pink jersey.

LaFlorecita said:
Velolover2 said:
Where is LaFlo by the way? Did she had a heart attack during the stage?
I was at uni.

You can imagine the shock and horror when disgraced former moderator Barrus informed me that Alberto was losing time after a mechanical.

But he did an amazing ride to limit the damage :)

No good words for Astana and Katusha.

Katusha had already attacked before Contador's mechanical. Astana keeping on pressuring when they caught the Katusha riders, though, wasn't exactly the prettiest display of respect

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
“It was a very hard day, an incredible stage,” Contador said. “Cycling isn’t mathematics. I had a puncture on the descent [before the Mortirolo]; Ivan Basso gave me a wheel, but ahead they were going at full speed, and it was impossible to close the gap immediately. It was hard for me, but I’m very happy with the time gaps now.”

infeXio said:
LaFlorecita said:
Velolover2 said:
Where is LaFlo by the way? Did she had a heart attack during the stage?
I was at uni.

You can imagine the shock and horror when disgraced former moderator Barrus informed me that Alberto was losing time after a mechanical.

But he did an amazing ride to limit the damage :)

No good words for Astana and Katusha.

Katusha had already attacked before Contador's mechanical. Astana keeping on pressuring when they caught the Katusha riders, though, wasn't exactly the prettiest display of respect
Landa basically confirmed Katusha and Astana collaborated to distance Contador.