• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1058 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

SuperBesse said:
The attack after he caught Aru+Landa was very stupid. It was clear hes stronger than Aru, but If he wouldve just sat on Arus wheel Landa wouldnt be unleashed until the giro was over. He couldve saved so much energy today and the rest of the mountain stages.
Yes. It was a huge, huge mistake. His attack has unleashed Landa and this has, and will continue, to cost him a lot of energy. To be fair, it would have been robotic to keep that cool a head the moment he finally caught up with them.

Re: Re:

SeriousSam said:
SuperBesse said:
The attack after he caught Aru+Landa was very stupid. It was clear hes stronger than Aru, but If he wouldve just sat on Arus wheel Landa wouldnt be unleashed until the giro was over. He couldve saved so much energy today and the rest of the mountain stages.
Yes. It was a huge, huge mistake. His attack has unleashed Landa and this has, and will continue, to cost him a lot of energy. To be fair, it would have been robotic to keep that cool a head the moment he finally caught up with them.

Answering your own sockpuppets? How pathetic.

Of course it was totally right to attack Aru. The punish must come directly otherwise you are a weak patron (that little slime ball will think twice next time) and it was the right opportunity to finally sort out the situation in Astana. Landa would have been unleashed either way and now with Aru definitively out of contention the attention now shifts on Landa which he have a healthy margin against.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

No_Balls said:
SeriousSam said:
SuperBesse said:

Answering your own sockpuppets? How pathetic.
SuberBesse isn't a sockpuppet of mine.

But to continue, when he didn't have the clarity of mind to just follow Aru. That moment may have been when he lost the Tour.

May 26, 2015
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
SuperBesse said:

Yesterday, Alberto had 2m35s to second place, today he as +4m, why is that stupid ?

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Velolover2 said:
Where is LaFlo by the way? Did she had a heart attack during the stage?
I was at uni.

You can imagine the shock and horror when disgraced former moderator Barrus informed me that Alberto was losing time after a mechanical.

But he did an amazing ride to limit the damage :)

No good words for Astana and Katusha.

Thanks to Astana and Katusha, Contador's victory will be even more epic :)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

riodouro said:
SeriousSam said:
SuperBesse said:

Yesterday, Alberto had 2m35s to second place, today he as +4m, why is that stupid ?
cos teh tour

Arredondo said:
LaFlorecita said:
Velolover2 said:
I was at uni.

You can imagine the shock and horror when disgraced former moderator Barrus informed me that Alberto was losing time after a mechanical.

But the way I see it he lost his chance to do the double.

Either way I will not celebrate a lack of sportmanship.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Arredondo said:
LaFlorecita said:
Velolover2 said:
I was at uni.

But the way I see it he lost his chance to do the double.

Either way I will not celebrate a lack of sportmanship.

He still has a chance to do the double. Riding the Mortirolo is hard anyway.

It wasnt easy today for Contador. Today he was the strongest of the "normal" riders. Great stage for Kruitswick. I wanted him to win the stage. It was also great to see some riders helping Contador in the climb of Mortirolo. Tinkoff Saxo was a weak team for the x time again.

Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:
Carols said:
LaFlo you are lucky you were busy, it would have been difficult for you. Now that you know the result you can watch it without all the angst of watching it live. There was High Angst!
Nah I won't watch, my head might explode out of anger.

Oh you have to watch it, it is Alberto at his Epic best!!!
I've seen that often enough :p

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Crashed twice, dislocated his shoulder twice, punctured at a terrible timing.

Has to race against an insanely strong team.

4 minutes ahead in GC.

And some say Landa is stronger.

LaFlorecita said:
sunnyIce said:
“To Mikel Landa, I can only say: chapeau. These are the stages that people remember,” Contador said.
Sheesh, I just wish Contador would not be diplomatic for once in his life.

Nah. I like him this way. All the world must know what he's really thinking. I just hope he gets the opportunity to serve revenge cold on the road…sailing past a flatted Landa and waving would do nicely… :D

Q: Given I've read a couple of pro-cyclists (including Mr Froome) tweeting about the mechanical incident and taking a dim view…any guesses to what the peloton will feel?

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
What a legend, this guy is. 4 minutes in the lead, despite all the crashes, bad luck and so on. Racing in terrible circumstances and showing who's the strongest.

Having said that, he won the Giro today and probably lost the Tour unfortunately. I feel like he is spending as much energy as in 2011 now. The only hope remaining is that he is still not at his peak, and he is gonna manage the period in between much better than in 2011 when he wasn't even planning to race the Tour.

The situation wasn't helped by blatantly incorrect time gaps being given that suggested Contador was only just about maintaining at about 40secs back. Then all of a sudden they were in sight. Prior to that I thought he was going to run out of steam Dauphine style and be in grave danger of losing the Giro. All in all, got to be happy with how things turned out. However, Landa looks on another level to take such a huge chunk of time out of Contador in about 2k of false flat is ridiculous whatever ifs and buts there may be about Contador having worked earlier. I'm not convinced at all that Contador will be able to follow Landa so it could be damage limitation time over the next few days.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
Crashed twice, dislocated his shoulder twice, punctured at a terrible timing.

Has to race against an insanely strong team.

4 minutes ahead in GC.

And some say Landa is stronger.

Spot on. This guy is physically and mentally from another planet. Always keeping his cool.

There are times when a race's plan changes and became more difficult, I like to see it as an opportunity to do something different.....I'll remember this day forever. Thanks team, for giving a 100%, very proud of you!!! Are great!!!

Giro d'Italia Tinkoff Saxo

Cellardoor: Yes. They could use a stop watch, count the numbers et.al. Basically everything is better then their meltdowned GPS which was probably the most nerve breaking instrument of the day. It was down to 1:00 minute just moments before he catched them.