• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1170 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
PremierAndrew said:
BlurryVII said:
Zam_Olyas said:
lol at posters who said the mountains are yet to come....as it is contador will never gain time on froome..froome will beat contadors candy ass everytime when they are both healthy.

Yep that's what we saw at the Vuelta 2014 .

Plus this year, Contador is at a disadvantage.

Considering Contador targetted that race once he crashed out compared to Froome who merely used it to get some racing in his legs...

What ? LOL, Froome went to win the Vuelta, what are you talking about? Where did you get that from? T

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with Hitch to some extent. I don't think it will be 2013 but I doubt he can grab back the minute he now needs.
Froome should have his usual bad day but Bertie is still not convincing for me. I want him to win but I just don't see the form in his legs. Its no good saying Tinko climbed faster than Sky ,,,Bertie has lost half a minute and that bears no relevance on Froome's performance. If Bertie and Froome had raced mano v mano today you have to admit Froome would have won.
Being a big Bertie fan does not mean that you have to throw all sense of realism out of the window. Right now Froome ,TJ , are definitely stronger.
I hope Bertie can do it. IMO its going to mean going for a long one at some point and with Nibs in trouble there may be a chance. If I was Bertie i would stay close to Nibs.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
PremierAndrew said:
BlurryVII said:
Zam_Olyas said:
lol at posters who said the mountains are yet to come....as it is contador will never gain time on froome..froome will beat contadors candy ass everytime when they are both healthy.

Considering Contador targetted that race once he crashed out compared to Froome who merely used it to get some racing in his legs...

Then I can say, Contador crashed later, with a worse injury and couldn't train as well as Froome? What about that?

He got his *** beaten fair and square

It is looking grim. How will Alberto make more than a minute on Froome is beyond me (unless on a descent). But I am afraid that there will be much bigger difference on Tuesday. Froome just has crazy form and all the luck in the world unfortunately... Alberto hasn't gained a single second to Froome this Tour...

Re:

bajbar said:
It is looking grim. How will Alberto make more than a minute on Froome is beyond me (unless on a descent). But I am afraid that there will be much bigger difference on Tuesday. Froome just has crazy form and all the luck in the world unfortunately... Alberto hasn't gained a single second to Froome this Tour...

Last 5km are easy fortunately:
6%
3.5%
5.5%
5.1%
7.1%

I do not want to believe that Alberto comes off in those traits , come on :eek:

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Think Contador will have a hard time keeping up with both Froome and Quintana in the mountains. The Giro will cost him, third week could be a nightmare for hom. Not sure he will beat TJVG to be honest. But I hope he can give Quintana and Froome a good fight.

CJubNVaWwAA265G.jpg

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Bertie has just raced the Giro ,,,he still has a chance. The double has not been done for ages. If Bertie does not win this it has no relevance on his status as the greatest rider of his generation.

Last year Bertie proved that he could match and better Froome. The last 2 ITT's Bertie has been quicker. He also dropped Froome from 10 k out at the start of the season. Froome could not match Bertie at the Vuelta "fair and square" and if Froome and meet Bertie early 2014, Bertie was in such awesome form that Froome would have got his ass well and truly kicked.

Froome may be strong right now but 2 weeks to go and I don't think he can hang on. He will crumble at some point as he usually does.

Re:

ray j willings said:
Bertie has just raced the Giro ,,,he still has a chance. The double has not been done for ages. If Bertie does not win this it has no relevance on his status as the greatest rider of his generation.

Last year Bertie proved that he could match and better Froome. The last 2 ITT's Bertie has been quicker. He also dropped Froome from 10 k out at the start of the season. Froome could not match Bertie at the Vuelta "fair and square" and if Froome and meet Bertie early 2014, Bertie was in such awesome form that Froome would have got his ass well and truly kicked.

Froome may be strong right now but 2 weeks to go and I don't think he can hang on. He will crumble at some point as he usually does.
Exactly!! That's the spirit ray j, right now it doesn't look great but this is Alberto!! He will only get better, Steven de Jongh said he is looking forward to the Pyrenees but especially the Alpes because that's where he wants to make the difference :)

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
I have to agree with Hitch to some extent. I don't think it will be 2013 but I doubt he can grab back the minute he now needs.
Froome should have his usual bad day but Bertie is still not convincing for me. I want him to win but I just don't see the form in his legs. Its no good saying Tinko climbed faster than Sky ,,,Bertie has lost half a minute and that bears no relevance on Froome's performance. If Bertie and Froome had raced mano v mano today you have to admit Froome would have won.
Being a big Bertie fan does not mean that you have to throw all sense of realism out of the window. Right now Froome ,TJ , are definitely stronger.
I hope Bertie can do it. IMO its going to mean going for a long one at some point and with Nibs in trouble there may be a chance. If I was Bertie i would stay close to Nibs.
I would agree one minute behind Froome is bad but we have six mountain top finishes, a lot can happen and sky has to defend.
As someone else has said, I will take the minute down at this point, it only takes one day in mountains, that's counting on Contador coming into form, which I believe he is plus Nibali and Quintana are forced to do take massive chances, which will stir things up. I, for one, am optimistic.

Looking at the current difference in form between Froome and Contador, it's looking dark grey.

I believe Alberto's options to win the Tour come by limiting his loses to around 1 minute combined between PSM and Plateau de Beille, by putting pressure on Froome on the descent of Tourmalet (maybe something happens) and by praying to la Virgen de la Macarena that he is able to develop a late superpeak in order to explode the race apart in the Alps.

Re: Re:

Matteo. said:
bajbar said:

6%
3.5%
5.5%
5.1%
7.1%

The problem is, Sky will go full gas the whole climb and by the time they reach those last kilometers everyone will be on their limit. The problem nowadays with Sky (in the Tour at least) is there are no more stages with accelerations, looking around, etc. It is basically a time trial where Sky pushes harder and harder every bloody kilometer. Froome always goes all out. I would love to see Contador being able to hang on to Froome (and Quintana) on Tuesday. That would mean he has a chance - because I believe if Froome and Alberto are equally strong, Contador will come on top. But if he can't keep up with Froome it is game over.

LaFlorecita said:
The Hitch said:
All this ensures is that if Contador ends up holding hands with Froome down that descent, the usual trolls in the prr section are going to mock the forum for predicting that Froome was going to lose time there.

Just like they did after the cobbles stage. I don't know what idiots predicted Contador would gain time on the cobbles. And on stage 2. Saxo were about to attack, honest. And on stage 5 and 7 etc. Well he never did, he never even tried.

Anyone with any life experience should know not to count chickens before they hatch. Contador didn't get his minutes on all the other stages, but he's guaranteed one on this descent?

And I'm not saying Contador won't attack and take time on this stage, what I'm saying is that giving him this minute as if it already happened is silly.
When was the last time Contador took time on rivals on a descent? And that's taking into account that his 3 main gt rivals have been Rasmussen, Andy and Froome.

Besides even if he does get his minute, all that does is put him level going into the mountains. A very bad situation to be in? Contador's Giro Tour plan involved him defending a lead in the mountains, not having to retake one.
Why are you so ******** bitter? Get a life, seriously.

lol, take a deep breath and count to 10 flo. End of the day its just a sport. As I told you once before in the long run you'll be better off experiencing heartbreak by watching sport, since it prepares you for the traumas that real life can bring, without offering any real consequences. You can take it out on me, and other posters, if you want, but what does it really get you? And anyway, what do you think was wrong with my post? I don't really see how my opinion on Contador's failure thus far and chances to take time, warrant Wiggins like insults.

The Hitch said:
lol, take a deep breath and count to 10 flo. End of the day its just a sport. As I told you once before in the long run you'll be better off experiencing heartbreak by watching sport, since it prepares you for the traumas that real life can bring, without offering any real consequences. You can take it out on me, and other posters, if you want, but what does it really get you? And anyway, what do you think was wrong with my post? I don't really see how my opinion on Contador's failure thus far and chances to take time, warrant Wiggins like insults.
Why the f would I be experiencing heartbreak? That's just nonsense. You're just making me depressed with your pessimistic bullcrap and I can't stand that.

bajbar said:
Matteo. said:
bajbar said:

6%
3.5%
5.5%
5.1%
7.1%

The problem is, Sky will go full gas the whole climb and by the time they reach those last kilometers everyone will be on their limit. The problem nowadays with Sky (in the Tour at least) is there are no more stages with accelerations, looking around, etc. It is basically a time trial where Sky pushes harder and harder every bloody kilometer. Froome always goes all out. I would love to see Contador being able to hang on to Froome (and Quintana) on Tuesday. That would mean he has a chance - because I believe if Froome and Alberto are equally strong, Contador will come on top. But if he can't keep up with Froome it is game over.

exact, I forgot this little fact: D
It has already demonstrated its ability to attack '' by far '', as 10km from the arrival (Mont Ventoux 2013). Surely he will not wait for the last 5km, but who knows ... i'm moderately confident in Alberto to limit losses :)

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
BlurryVII said:
PremierAndrew said:
BlurryVII said:
Zam_Olyas said:

Then I can say, Contador crashed later, with a worse injury and couldn't train as well as Froome? What about that?

In my opinion, Froome rode the Vuelta '14 already thinking of the Tour '15. He even has said as much. The purpose was to get a grand tour in the legs. Sure he tried to win. He's a competitor. Contador was better. Not the case this year.

LaFlorecita said:
The Hitch said:
Why the f would I be experiencing heartbreak? That's just nonsense. You're just making me depressed with your pessimistic bullcrap and I can't stand that.

Well you aren't the only person who posts on this forum. There was nothing wrong with my post. I said what I feel. Even mbiuro who I was responding to and lightly attacking was ok with it.

Your responses have been a little out of order, but you know me, I'm a reasonable guy, so will be prepared to overlook a little post stage frustration ;)

The Hitch said:
Well you aren't the only person who posts on this forum. There was nothing wrong with my post. I said what I feel. Even mbiuro who I was responding to and lightly attacking was ok with it.

Your responses have been a little out of order, but you know me, I'm a reasonable guy, so will be prepared to overlook a little post stage frustration ;)
You are free to post whatever you want and I am free to call you out for your bitterness. :rolleyes:
But sure, blame it all on my "post stage frustration" whatever that may be :rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
The Hitch said:

I don't think Hitch is being pessimistic ,he's just calling it as he see it. Hitch world I call it. "hitch's writing style"
I think when Hitch starts compering sport to the trauma's of life I find that a bit odd or most likely he's trying to wind you up a bit ,,,,don't bite.
I would not get worked up about such a post.
We all have our views. He's not on this thread that much so let it go and don't respond unless you can think of something funny to say . Humour gets lost on these pages for some people so you may experience a response to a joke from the anorak type dudes who post on here without humour or any sense of others views.
For instance we all know Froome looks like an egg. We all know Bertie is much more handsome.

Bertie is still in it .2 weeks to go and lets see how it lays out. I would be very surprised if the standings stay like this.
Hitch do you think it will stay like this?

En la primera semana del Tour, que afronta tras haber ganado el Giro hace un mes, Contador aseguró que cuenta con menos referencias sobre su forma física.
"En la primera jornada de descanso del Giro tenía todo más controlado, sabía la respuesta de mi cuerpo. Aquí hay una incertidumbre. Lo que más he notado en este principio de carrera es que me falta la chispa que otros tienen. Espero que con el paso del tiempo esa chispa no tenga importancia y sea más de puertos largos", indicó.

En cuanto a la primera etapa de alta montaña, con final en el puerto de categoría especial de la Pierre-Saint-Martin el próximo martes, Contador aseguró que dependerá de cómo se pase la jornada de descanso. "Es un puerto duro, puede pasar de todo, veremos cómo nos encontramos tras la jornada de reposo. Si estoy bien lo intentaré, porque soy de los que piensa que si hay oportunidad hay que aprovecharlo", comentó.

In the first week of the Tour, which faces after winning the Tour a month ago, Contador said he has fewer references to their physical form.
Code:
"In the first rest day of the Giro I had everything more controlled, I knew the answer of my body. Here's an uncertainty. What I've noticed in this principle of career is that I lack the spark that others have. I hope that with the over time that spark will not have more importance and long ports,
"he said.

As the first high mountain stage, finishing in the port of special category of Pierre-Saint-Martin on Tuesday, Contador said that will depend on how the rest day will pass. "
Code:
It's a hard port, it can happen, we will see how we are following the rest day. If I am good I'll try, because I am one who thinks that if there is an opportunity we must seize," he said.

Contador said that among the favorites also have to have the American Tejay van Garderen, whose team won today's stage and is second overall at 12 seconds of Froome. "It is a corridor of tremendous quality, as seen in the Dauphiné, where he showed he is also strong in the mountains. Although a great return not know what we can give him, I think it will be a great match," he said.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
TI-Raleigh said:
BlurryVII said:
PremierAndrew said:
BlurryVII said:
Zam_Olyas said:

In my opinion, Froome rode the Vuelta '14 already thinking of the Tour '15. He even has said as much. The purpose was to get a grand tour in the legs. Sure he tried to win. He's a competitor. Contador was better. Not the case this year.

Good. Anybody can say so when you lose. He still lost fair and square.

And this year Contador is not inferior, as far as I know, Contador won the Giro and is riding the Tour sub par at the moment because of that.

Tour is not over either so I don't know what you're talking about, sorry.

TRENDING THREADS