• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1190 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

damian13ster said:
Yeah, but conditions at Giro are much different than at Tour. Plus it doesnt explain why he didn't have them before (or werent so bad). It is extremely rare to acquire allergies as you get older (if at all possible, I am not sure on this one).
I think this is just another excuse and pretty bad one

It's not. As I said, i only got mine this year, and i'm 23. I have never experienced it before, but on the hot days I can hardly breath when I wake up, and after taking my medication it's fine, but I feel very dizzy.

Re:

damian13ster said:
Yeah, but conditions at Giro are much different than at Tour. Plus it doesnt explain why he didn't have them before (or werent so bad). It is extremely rare to acquire allergies as you get older (if at all possible, I am not sure on this one).

He's had them for at least six or seven years. I remember them first being mentioned at Criterium International before I left Salt Lake City, which was in 2008.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Interesting interview with Mick after the stage today w/ Lemond. He either slipped or it was actually what's the new target of the team. Mick said something in the line of " I think second place is still a possibility". And quickly Lemond pressing "But Alberto is going to keep trying to win right? Mick: "well if he feels good, he certainly will try... yeah

So TS sounded like they are adjusting their goal now. If what everyone else said today that Alberto didn't look good, then it might be the consensus or there's truth to it. But on a flip coin. MAJKAAAA... wohooo... Great win. Good for morale. They lost Basso, they lost Benna today, Alberto lost his double attempt yesterday, at least today is a sweet victory. It's nice to see a smiling face again. I hope there's going to be a lot of smiling face in the dinner table today.

As far as Nibali, I feel for him. The pressure of being the defending champ finally got to him. Not enough preparation, not enough form. So contrast with the performance of Aru/Landa in the Giro. It's a cruel way of earning a living. Hats off.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

rm7 said:
It was actually sad to see the Contador interview after the stage...

He was smiling and laughing and said "it would be nice to have the legs from last years tour, because they were so fantastic" "I need the temperatur to drop, so my body can feel good again"

well, I guess we know his condition now. It's going to be a long tour for him, unless like he said.. the temperature dropped. I saw him today, already tilting his head while sitting down...

Re:

rm7 said:
Very interesting from Riis. Apparently Contador also suffered alot from the allergies in the Giro, and would have won with 8-10 minutes if he hadn't. He's only on 80-85 % right now because of it according to Riis.
Then the question is why is he competing in the tdf with Froome. From 2013 we know that 80-85% wont do anything. Vuelta is better, even now.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

rm7 said:
Very interesting from Riis. Apparently Contador also suffered alot from the allergies in the Giro, and would have won with 8-10 minutes if he hadn't. He's only on 80-85 % right now because of it according to Riis.

This might explain his incredible ITT under the rain, and then being not so great in the mountains.

Because when Alberto does great in ITT or puncheur finish that doesn't quite suit him like he did in the Giro (both under rain) he is usualy flying in the high mountains.

So that Giro was actually strange in that sense, and that explanation actually fits very well.

BlurryVII said:
rm7 said:

This might explain his incredible ITT under the rain, and then being not so great in the mountains.

Because when Alberto does great in ITT or puncheur finish that doesn't quite suit him like he did in the Giro (both under rain) he is usualy flying in the high mountains.

So that Giro was actually strange in that sense, and that explanation actually fits very well.

I agree

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Anyways, tomorrow hard stage, where AC could've done major damage and dropped everyone but he'll lose an additional 2 minutes on Plateau de Beille and find himself 6 minutes off in GC.

Fascinating Tour.

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

rm7 said:
It was actually sad to see the Contador interview after the stage...

He was smiling and laughing and said "it would be nice to have the legs from last years tour, because they were so fantastic" "I need the temperatur to drop, so my body can feel good again"

Yes. It was. We can only imagine what those legs were capable of. Maybe next year.

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
There where some rumors earlier on (RAI), but who thinks Contador will leave Saxo at the end of this year? The possibility is there and might put some things into perspective.

Re:

damian13ster said:

Where are you getting your information? I had no allergies as a child and young adult and have since acquired allergies. As far as I know it's fairly common.

BlurryVII said:
rm7 said:

Yep.... mystery solved by Sherlock Blurry ;)

Angliru said:
damian13ster said:

Where are you getting your information? I had no allergies as a child and young adult and have since acquired allergies. As far as I know it's fairly common.

Just a (turns out it was stupid) belief that allergies are dependable mostly from genetics. That's why I mentioned that I am not sure if that is true. I was proven wrong. My apologies.

Still think it is an excuse since it didn't seem to be an issue as recent as last year or earlier in a career.

Pantani Attacks said:
LaFlorecita said:
moi123 said:
There where some rumors earlier on (RAI), but who thinks Contador will leave Saxo at the end of this year? The possibility is there and might put some things into perspective.
I think Oleg may want to get rid of Alberto. Too expensive and too old (in his opinion)

Does that mean Alberto will retire? I mean who could he even go to? Back to Astana?
Etixx was rumored (Specialized link)

But I am hoping for Androni, Alberto and The Silver Fox! :D
bettiniphoto_0156309_1_full_670.jpg

Or Lampre or Bardiani :eek:

I'm dreaming :p

damian13ster said:
Angliru said:
damian13ster said:

Just a (turns out it was stupid) belief that allergies are dependable mostly from genetics. That's why I mentioned that I am not sure if that is true. I was proven wrong. My apologies.

Still think it is an excuse since it didn't seem to be an issue as recent as last year or earlier in a career.
In 2010 he completely bombed Crit Int because of his allergies

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site

damian13ster said:
Angliru said:
damian13ster said:

It could be an excuse, we don't know. But there no question that if he has allergies, then it will clearly affect him. But i'm not saying it's the difference between 2:51 to froome yesterday, but it could a big part of that gap.

Last year it wasn't an issue, because of the cold weather and much rain in that period. Then you nearly don't feel the allergies at all (talking from experience). In Tour 2013 it was hot, but I also think that was bad shape all year long.

Also in the spring races this season he looked okay.. obviously below spring 2014, but according to the plan.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Energy Starr said:
Hey if he does pull off a 2nd in GC, he should definitely try to win the Vuelta. It's not the triple crown but a 1,2,1 sure would make for an awesome season anyway.

He really shouldn't. He should go home and take a loooong rest and spend time with his family, and then maybe race a little at the end of the season to get up to speed before the winter preparation.

TRENDING THREADS