• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1221 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
BlurryVII said:
Well, 2013 is knocking on the door. Slightly better maybe but still way off.

2015 Giro d'Italia says Hi and kindly requests you stfu

What? I'm talking about right here right now, this Tour di,ckhead. I'm well aware he did the Giro, I've mentioned it plenty of time but despite the bad circumstances, this is one more year without getting anything out of the Tour

Contador would love to get a stage victory, and in order to do that, I think he can't wait for the Alpe d'Huez.
Croix de Fer is probably too far for his current shape, and there are Nibali and Valverde, but the mutual interest could be found.
He'll try, I'm convinced

BlurryVII said:
Red Rick said:
BlurryVII said:

What? I'm talking about right here right now, this Tour di,ckhead. I'm well aware he did the Giro, I've mentioned it plenty of time but despite the bad circumstances, this is one more year without getting anything out of the Tour
Call down Blurry, no need for name-calling. :)

Re:

sir fly said:
Contador would love to get a stage victory, and in order to do that, I think he can't wait for the Alpe d'Huez.
Croix de Fer is probably too far for his current shape, and there are Nibali and Valverde, but the mutual interest could be found.
He'll try, I'm convinced
I think so too but he won't be going anywhere I'm afraid. His best bet is escaping at the foot of Alpe, but even that is a long shot, I expect Nairo to go from the base of the climb and Valverde will reel Alberto back in anyway.

Today was his chance, he should have gone with Nibali! Grrr :)

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
Red Rick said:
BlurryVII said:

Yeah, he's at 2013 level, but the big difference is that this year he's on the way down formwise, not at his best for the year.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
sir fly said:
He'll try, I'm convinced
I think so too but he won't be going anywhere I'm afraid. His best bet is escaping at the foot of Alpe, but even that is a long shot, I expect Nairo to go from the base of the climb and Valverde will reel Alberto back in anyway.

Nibali was too strong for him today anyhow.
The double is a dream of eras past. We all thank El Pistolero for proving it twice already.

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
He'll try, I'm convinced

What mutual interest! :eek: They're all targeting the final podium spot, those three are like the worst enemies right now! Contador is probably the least interested, but they won't let him go, and he's not strong enough to drop them for good

LaFlorecita said:
sir fly said:
He'll try, I'm convinced

Definitely.
He had a couple of reasons and now is forced to make the moves instead of reacting. It's difficult position when the legs are tired.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

SergeDeM said:
BlurryVII said:
Red Rick said:
BlurryVII said:

Yeah, he's at 2013 level, but the big difference is that this year he's on the way down formwise, not at his best for the year.

He's slightly better than in 2013. And I don't know what you're talking about when you say "he's on the way down", his Giro level would've been more than enough to be up there with Quintana and Froome, and fight for the win.

Thinking double all season has affected his performances overall, because he never wanted to hit a peak, neither at the spring nor at the Giro. But despite all those sacrifices, he still ended up coming tired at the Tour, which shows that the double is near impossible nowadays.

Gotta give the guy credit, come on! He's up there or thereabouts despite a very tough Giro. He's been trying, animating the race despite what seems was a bad crash and not having the form, plus facing MoviStar who have shown some frankly bizarre tactics. Movi. would be in a lot better position with respect to the MJ if they had made Sky work harder yesterday, for example.

Chapeau to AC for taking on his third GC in a row and still being within shouting distance of podium!

What this Tour has shown me is that there's really only Contador and Nibali who are proactive, attacking riders in the top GC riders. Nairo finally put in his attack, but it's way too little too late - he's been too conservative. Been around Valverde too long IMO.

BlurryVII said:
SergeDeM said:
BlurryVII said:
Red Rick said:
BlurryVII said:

He's slightly better than in 2013. And I don't know what you're talking about when you say "he's on the way down", his Giro level would've been more than enough to be up there with Quintana and Froome, and fight for the win.

Thinking double all season has affected his performances overall, because he never wanted to hit a peak, neither at the spring nor at the Giro. But despite all those efforts, he still ended up coming tired at the Tour, which shows that the double is near impossible nowadays.
That's the point "He's on the way down formwise, not at his best for the year" in other words in the Giro he was in better shape.

bala v said:
sir fly said:
He'll try, I'm convinced

What mutual interest! :eek: They're all targeting the final podium spot, those three are like the worst enemies right now! Contador is probably the least interested, but they won't let him go, and he's not strong enough to drop them for good
Mutual interest for sharing the workload, not the GC battle.
The stage is on offer, and neither of them will fancy their chances against Froome and Quintana. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
SergeDeM said:
BlurryVII said:
Red Rick said:
BlurryVII said:

Thinking double all season has affected his performances overall, because he never wanted to hit a peak, neither at the spring nor at the Giro. But despite all those efforts, he still ended up coming tired at the Tour, which shows that the double is near impossible nowadays.
That's exactly what I mean. He peaked at the Giro, and after you peak your form drops. Even after all of that, his current non-peak is slightly better than his 2013 peak. Is that clearer?

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
His Giro level would've been more than enough to be up there with Quintana and Froome, and fight for the win.

lol

Hmm, 5.96 w/kg on abetone, 5.97 w/kg on campitello matese, 5.81 w/kg on monte Ologno.

The only better performance in this Tour, is Froome's 6.09 on la Pierre. Today, Quintana did 5.69 w/kg for 44 mins on la Toussuire.

It's fair to say that he'd have competed for the win . But the usual bias will make you think not. :rolleyes:

Re:

sir fly said:
He'll try, I'm convinced

Stage victory :rolleyes:

He'll always have Verbier.... a million years ago

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
His Giro level would've been more than enough to be up there with Quintana and Froome, and fight for the win.

lol

if you look how close he has been to the GC contenders then his Giro form would easily have been good enough to win this.

if Bertie was in decent shape he his attacks over the last 2 days would have stuck although I doubt by then he would have needed to attack so far out.
You have to say that last years Vuelta was a fair result when you look at Froomes performance in this tour.

saunaking said:
sir fly said:
He'll try, I'm convinced

I fail to see your point?

saunaking said:
sir fly said:
He'll try, I'm convinced

Who could've known at the time...

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It's just fun to put things in perspective and realise that Froome was stronger in the 3rd week of the Vuelta 2014 than in this entire Tour including la Pierre saint martin.

The overall level is quite low in this Tour actually, but people will think the contrary because it's the Tour. But the fact is that Contador and Landa Giro 15' version would be up there in the mountains with F and Q.

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site

saunaking said:
sir fly said:
He'll try, I'm convinced

Purito had two recently. Doesn't look too pleased nonetheless.

TRENDING THREADS