• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1302 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Comments:
The sensations weren't bad but logically not excellent either.
He says his watts were pretty good but it was hard with the wind.
He also says he thinks he'll go much better on Sunday and could perhaps even win the stage. :eek:

I would prefer that he would say: "I don't see myself as a favourite for Malhao, there are others much more suited to the climb." That would be classic Bertie. :D

Pumping up his chances by himself never is the best thing (aka. my numbers are better than ever, just before the 2013 Tour). But maybe it's just reverse psychology :eek:

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
After the ITT I'm not too worried, if the real Contador doesn't show up for Paris-Nice, then it's time to be worried.
In 2014 I knew that the old Contador was back when I saw him on the Guardiagrele stage, that was like watching Alberto at the height of his reign of terror (2007 Tour-2011 Giro). :D

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
After the ITT I'm not too worried, if the real Contador doesn't show up for Paris-Nice, then it's time to be worried.
In 2014 I knew that the old Contador was back when I saw him on the Guardiagrele stage, that was like watching Alberto at the height of his reign of terror (2007 Tour-2011 Giro). :D

"Reign of terror"! I love it!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I respect Alberto and he's awesome to watch, but I've never cheered for him in a GT (I did't watch the 2008 Vuelta, but back then I would have cheered for Sastre, I'm pretty sure of that).
I probably shouldn't start cheering for him now, me backing someone against Contador in a GT is a bad omen, the guy never wins the gc. :D

"The sensations I had from today weren't bad but, obviously, they weren't excellent either," summed up Contador. "I recovered well from yesterday and I reckon I will ride quite better in the final stage than yesterday. Sunday's stage is straightforward, it will be quite explosive and we have see how we perform tomorrow and the form we have on Sunday. We don't have any chances at the GC, so we'll see whether we can aim at a stage win.”

A conservative enough approach to set expectations. I think the legs just haven't responded as expected!

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
This actually brought tears to my eyes. I so hope that Contador will be able to match Froome this year!

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Sciocco said:
Contador will win one of PN, Catalunya, and Pais Vasco, plus a stage in another. The TdF. And some random late season race too.

Rio of course

Yes, Contador, Purito, and Valverde will form the winning break, just the three of them on the penultimate ascent. Contador will go on the final climb, to gold! :D

Sciocco said:
Jspear said:
Sciocco said:
Contador will win one of PN, Catalunya, and Pais Vasco, plus a stage in another. The TdF. And some random late season race too.

Rio of course

Yes, Contador, Purito, and Valverde will form the winning break, just the three of them on the penultimate ascent. Contador will go on the final climb, to gold! :D

I could see them letting an iranian rider back into the group and losing a 4 man sprint

you guys shouldn't worry about his shape. Just like the previous couple of years I've now had a dream predicting future cycling results. It involes Vino doing a comeback and winning the tour, with AC as a clear 2nd. Since the Vino thing is unlikely to happen, since he is too nice of a guy, and don't want to steal the glory from the youngsters, AC is now the clear avourite to win the tour

Re:

buchanan said:
One has to wonder how smart Tinkoff tactics are at times. They seem to regularly burn themselves out doing a lot of work, when it's perhaps not always necessary. I recall them doing that a lot in last year's Giro. Then Contador is usually left isolated too early. Sounds like that happened yesterday. Plus it sounds like he then also hit the front for much too long on the penultimate climb and sorta burnt himself out. Agree with the people saying he really ought to just be following wheels, conserving energy and sussing out the opposition at this stage. And also not making the team overwork.

Could not agree more.
I believe it is Contador himself that wants it this way.

But I wonder why they don't get smarter.

Jakub said:
Poursuivant said:

Thanks, suddenly it doesn't look so bad,does it? It's still beyond me, however, what did he do so much in the front when Katusha guys chased the break.Too hungry?

Yeah, he tried to answer every attack by himself, he was always on the front. The only time you could see Thomas and Sanchez is 500 m to the finish when they attacked. Alberto attacked on the penultimate climb, dropped all his teammates, isolated himself and then tried to do everything against the wind. No wonder he was dead by the end...

bajbar said:
Jakub said:
Poursuivant said:

Thanks, suddenly it doesn't look so bad,does it? It's still beyond me, however, what did he do so much in the front when Katusha guys chased the break.Too hungry?

Yeah, he tried to answer every attack by himself, he was always on the front. The only time you could see Thomas and Sanchez is 500 m to the finish when they attacked. Alberto attacked on the penultimate climb, dropped all his teammates, isolated himself and then tried to do everything against the wind. No wonder he was dead by the end...

He got some proper training I guess. Good to read he did a lot of work, kind of explains he was wasted at the end.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Jakub said:
Poursuivant said:

at least put into perspective. Even though I was hoping for something better. Froome, Quintana, Nibali, all have some kind of win on their first race. So the last mountain stage, hopefully he times his attack right and he got enough form. *finger crossed*

Can't see Contador doing anything significant tomorrow.
The video showing Thursday's stage is telling he was off the pace for, at least, 2 chain teeth. That's a level below the leaders in fitness.
No one will let him go, and everybody will want to beat him. The opportunity to do that doesn't come across often.

TRENDING THREADS