• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1343 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Today's stage was great. Alberto attacked and attacked. It was nice to see that he won't go down without a fight. Thomas was barely hanging on the thread, but sky as a team were stronger. I wished Alberto can win PN on his last year but hey, sometime you win and some time you loose. But today's nothing to be ashamed. At least in his last PN, I still have a good memory to remember and probably painful too (the fact that Contador got beaten by a classic rider) on stage racing :).

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
trevim said:
LaFlorecita said:
trevim said:
Good ride from Alberto, a shame the descent to Nice is a power descent and not really technical. Also Mont Broully could have helped his chances. Still, if he can't beat Thomas, no way in hell he'll be close to Froome in July. It's a bit sad but hey it's just the way it is right now. I expected Majka to be the best domestique of the race, we got Henao instead and it's good to see him back on track.
Cycling will be a bit boring when guys like Contador or Nibali retire. Then we'll be able to watch Quintana and some random Sky rider looking at each other the entire climbs :D
Nonsense. He showed he is in incredible shape. The parcours wasn't the best for him and got even worse when Mt Brouilly got cancelled. Of course he will have a hard time beating Thomas on such a parcours.
He gapped Thomas on Utelle on the steepest part, he took ~40s on Côte de Peille and ~30s on Col d'Eze..
If there's decent climbing, no way he could let someone like Thomas get even close. Sorry can't agree with you :)

maybe if there's NO flat ITT, he can beat thomas. :D

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

bajbar said:
LaFlorecita said:
Carols said:
Flo just be happy he rode so well!!!! He showed us the desire is still there as strong as ever and that the form is coming along nicely. He is disappointed, many fans are disappointed; but he rode like Alberto The Alberto we love to watch! Enjoy watching while you can, our opportunities are dwindling......
Which is exactly why it is so painful to see him lose, and he was almost crying on the podium too :(

If he wins the Tour this won't matter. I really want him to win TDF. Obviously, I always want my favourites to win, but here, my emotions are different. I want him to prove to all those "rational and objective" cycling experts that he is still the best, and in fact never ceased being the best (except for 2013, but that is another matter entirely).

I hate it, when I read some predictions saying, that he is too old, that he has declined... That he will lose minutes to anyone of any importance in the TTs and so on. I don't want him to win the Tour with a darring attack 50kms out or on a downhill, or on an echelon stage. That would only prove what they already know, that he has a huge heart and can entertain the race. No, I want a show of brute force. I want him to destory everyone on Finhaut -Emmoson (or Mont Ventoux, even better). I want him to top 3 the ITT (not the mountain one, the hilly one). I want him to win by a huge margin, so that no one will ever be able to say, what a surprise is that Contador only lost 15 second in the prologue, or that there is no way that he could ever get 15 seconds on Thomas on a stage like today, because Team Sky is so much better and Thomas is just better than the aging Contador... Things like that really make me mad...

It would be cool if he just crushed the competition so everyone could see that el pistolero is one of the best climbers of all time, but people who has followed his career all ready knows this :D. Some part of me wants him to win with a surpriseing tactical maserpice of an attack so people would realise that cycling isnt just about watts and windtunnells. It is so much more. Its also about panage and seizing the moment. People often say Landa was the best climber of the giro. That really doesnt matter to me. What matters was how Contador used his masterfull aproach and tactical skills to overcome possible not being the best in the mountains, and against a much stronger Astana team. It really shows how he has grown as a rider. 07-11 pure climbing skills, 12 tactical skills, 14 climbing + tactics and 15 experience. Really gonna miss this dude. Iam at the point were i dont care about if he wins(of course i do and i would gladly give anything i have to see him reclaim the throne that is rightfully his),but if he only have one year left i wanna enjoy every single moment because we will never get him back and this dude is a once in a life time guy. He is the guy we will be telling our grand children about, like my grandfather used to tell me about fausto coppi and eddy merckx

I doubt Froome is in better shape, perhaps equal, but not better, than Thomas right now, for which Thomas is a good reference at this point in the season for gauging the trajectory propelling the leaders to where they need to be in July. From this perspective, Contador is in very good standing. From the looks of it, he should be much more competative than last year at the Tour. At any rate, Catalunya as such will be very interesting indeed.

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
“I’d like to make a simple comparison with what happened at Paris-Nice. Alberto Contador failed to win by just four seconds after a stage earlier in the race was cancelled because of extreme weather. Yet I don’t think Alberto complained, he accepted it as part of the sport,” Mauro Vegni about Nibali :D

Re:

SevenTimeTdfChamp said:
“I’d like to make a simple comparison with what happened at Paris-Nice. Alberto Contador failed to win by just four seconds after a stage earlier in the race was cancelled because of extreme weather. Yet I don’t think Alberto complained, he accepted it as part of the sport,” Mauro Vegni about Nibali :D

Is that for real?

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site

Red Rick said:
SevenTimeTdfChamp said:

Is that for real?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vegni-hits-back-at-criticism-from-nibali-after-tirreno-adriatico-stage-cancellation/

SevenTimeTdfChamp said:
Red Rick said:
SevenTimeTdfChamp said:

Is that for real?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vegni-hits-back-at-criticism-from-nibali-after-tirreno-adriatico-stage-cancellation/
How old is Vegni?
8 - 9?

Re:

SevenTimeTdfChamp said:

Small difference. The Paris Nice one was actually dangerous and had snow, and the Tirreno-Adriatico stage-wait for it- didn't. Not to mention the fact that Contador had another two stages to gain time and Nibali has none.

Re:

SevenTimeTdfChamp said:

A clown where professionals who actually know what they are doing is required.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Contador did a fantastic ride today. He is strong as an ox and I think anyone with half a brain knows who the strongest rider was in this race. His level will improve further still. Great to see how much damage Contadors aggression yesterday caused Thomas. Almost finished him off. Put Wednesdays stage in and we would have the strongest rider on the top step.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Davide Cimolai ‏@cimo89 11 min
Che spettacolo @albertocontador, ennesima dimostrazione di classe! #ParisNice

So great to see all these cyclists appreciate Alberto :)
Wellens also had some kind words :)
"To come back the way he did, Contador must have been really strong."

Also Bardet:
"Contador was amazing and he made the race exciting."

These 2 guys, Aru are the ones to look out in future for f*cked up attacks :D

May 13, 2015
Visit site
team Tinkoff cried foul in Sunday’s exciting finale at Paris-Nice, alleging that TV motorbikes helped pace Team Sky back to the attacking Alberto Contador.

“That’s not sour grapes, that’s the truth,” Tinkoff sport director Sean Yates told VeloNews. “The motorbikes were a disgrace once again, and they ruined the race.”

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SevenTimeTdfChamp said:

I think he was comparing the 'whining part'. Alberto didn't say anything while Nibali was whining about the cancellation stage. That's how I read his comment, he is not comparing how the stage is being cancelled.(that's like comparing apple and durian)

TRENDING THREADS