• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1423 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I only count WT as relevant and for the last 5 years piti hasn't done much those one week races. Henao is way more competitive in it, especially in the PV

Re: Re:

Miburo said:
portugal11 said:
Miburo said:
Henao is a beast in one week races. You followed cycling since this year?

He's better than piti or evans ever were in one week races.
Lol... he isn't better than valverde at this muritos...

Yea he is imo but it's not even about that. Show me what piti has done in one week races and compare it to Henao in his young career. Btw the mur of Huy isn't such a great murito, piti isn't that good at muritos at all.

As a matter of fact, show me how great Froome or Nibali are in one week races? Not that great at all.

Contador and Quintana should be given loads of credit for being competitive in every race they do. Do you think Quintana can't win the tour cause he was dropped in PV by contador, pinto, purito and henao?

Remember 2013? Froome won every one week stage race apart from tirreno iirc, and who won tirreno? None other than nibali :p

Re:

Miburo said:
I only count WT as relevant and for the last 5 years piti hasn't done much those one week races. Henao is way more competitive in it, especially in the PV
That's fair enough - he's definitely found his niche and is targetting them more than classics or GTs. Although seems to lack the killer instinct to actually win anything. Compare that to a rider like Contador, who can be below his best, not on top form, and will still find a way to win. Henao's lacking something in that regard.

You originally said this though:
He's better than piti or evans ever were in one week races.
which just isn't true. Henao's never been close to the level that Valverde showed in the 2009 Dauphine for example, - when he destroyed everyone on Ventoux.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Piti didn't destroy everyone on the ventoux. You really think he actually can put 2 min on contador and evans on the ventoux without them actually going all out.

Contador gifted piti that dauphine or Evans was an idiot. Your pick

Re:

Miburo said:
Piti didn't destroy everyone on the ventoux. You really think he actually can put 2 min on contador and evans on the ventoux without them actually going all out.

I looked at the time they did and that was I think the slowest winning ascent in the modern day with all due respect. The Evans group was about as fast as Garate from the breakaway that tour

Re:

Miburo said:

It's not really the point, whether or not Contador and Evans were going flat out. The fact is that Valverde won a prestigious stage race, against probably the two best GC riders in the world. When has Henao ever done anything like that, to support the claim that he's better than Valverde or Evans ever were in stage races?

And I don't believe for one minute that Contador would ever gift Valverde anything. Him and Evans were just marking each other and missed the real threat that day.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Piti said in 2009 that Contador helped him win the dauphine. You gotta blind or stupid if you think Contador really tried to win that race.

Henao has shown insane promise and he would have prob won PN this year. And in PV he's showed he's a beast every year. Also the clinic issues are prob holding him down aswell and the fact that he's a dom.

Piti won the dauphine twice, good for him but in terms of value, it doesn't say that much since it's viewed as prep especially during those times. Now riders really go FTW.

Compare Contador's intent in '07 or '09 with now. That should make it obvious.

Re:

Miburo said:
Piti said in 2009 that Contador helped him win the dauphine. You gotta blind or stupid if you think Contador really tried to win that race.

Henao has shown insane promise and he would have prob won PN this year. And in PV he's showed he's a beast every year. Also the clinic issues are prob holding him down aswell and the fact that he's a dom.

Piti won the dauphine twice, good for him but in terms of value, it doesn't say that much since it's viewed as prep especially during those times. Now riders really go FTW.

Compare Contador's intent in '07 or '09 with now. That should make it obvious.
Well, don't really want to go too far off-topic here, so we'll just have to disagree. I do think you're doing Valverde a disservice though. He was a stage race beast in 2009 - the only year he really focused on them - winning Dauphine, Catalunya, Burgos and, of course, the Vuelta. Henao's not at that level.

TheYouyou7 said:
portugal11 said:
Miburo said:
Tomorrow will say a lot about Contador's tour chances imo.
Stage 6 will tell us more, tomorrow i think everyone is expecting a win for contador.

Stage 6 is a shi*** MTF, Sky will work during all the climb and nothing significant will happen I think.

Vaujany is an explosive climb, 4 kilometres at 9%, not a prototype-Sky climb at all. If you have something, you just go. Meribel, on the other hand, is much more of a Sky climb, an easier Pierre Saint Martin (harder in the bottom) and resembles La Toussuire incredibly well.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm still waiting for that apology from fleur and her gang when they were flaming me when i said he was lying about retirement.

And you can't use "he'll only ride for his own team" excuse, that doesn't apply anymore ;)

Just sorry, it ain't hard :D

Unless you're gonna say he really suddenly changed his mind xD

And i knew it was gonna be more than 1 year, not a genius to figure that out. He loves to race, he'll keep going until he really can't win anymore. Every champ is like that.

MJ, ALI (RIP), LA, Schumi...

Miburo said:
Red Rick said:
Add Federer to that list

And Woods. I forgot so many but they've all in common that they'll never stop at their prime. They just can't, their desire to win is far too big.

I would agree if you didn't include MJ. MJ retired when he just won 3 Finals and 3 Finals MVP in a row. Yes, he played a season or just one half at Wizards, but that hardly counts, he could probably have won 2, heck, even 3 Finals more with Chicago after 96

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Mj is a strange case, and a lot of things went wrong with the bulls at the end. A lot of drama apperently and mj wasn't in his prime anymore at '98 anyways.

His prime was '92.

Re:

Miburo said:
Mj is a strange case, and a lot of things went wrong with the bulls at the end. A lot of drama apperently and mj wasn't in his prime anymore at '98 anyways.

His prime was '92.
Whops, I messed up my numbers, he won his first of 3 in a row in 96 and obviously retired in 98! And yes, he was better earlier on obviously, but that didn't hold him back from averaging 30 points and STILL being the best player on the planet when he retired. Nothing really held him back when he retired, he had Pippen and they would still be the favourites after '98, even tho MJ wasn't the athletic freak he once was.

TRENDING THREADS