• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1459 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

buchanan said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Le Blaireau_13 said:
I'm wondering about one moment in yesterday's race:

After Contador had attacked multiple times, Froome caught him, accelerated for a brief moment, passed Contador and then kind of slowed down a bit. I wonder: could Froome have ridden away at that moment? Or was he just bluffing? I watched the race at Sporza, and Jose de Cauwer thought Froome was bluffing at that moment. Which probably is the case: it seemed like they were all riding at their maximum and with that bluff, Froome kind of brought some rest back.

What do you think?
I don't think that Froome was at his limit or bluffing. I interpreted as if Froome wanted to give Contador a psychological blow by showing that he had no problems following or even accelerating further. But hey, it might have been a bluff, I just thought that he looked very comfortable.

So you think Froome could've ridden away? That's what I was afraid of, because I don't think Contador could have followed him at that point. Froome looked very comfortable indeed. For me, this moment was the most crucial moment of the whole week. Contador was at his limit, I think, the question is: was Froome at his limit? Both will reach a higher level at the Tour, but I wonder if Contador will be able to bridge the gap between him and Froome...

Pricey_sky said:
LaFlorecita said:
Le Blaireau_13 said:

After Contador had attacked multiple times, Froome caught him, accelerated for a brief moment, passed Contador and then kind of slowed down a bit. I wonder: could Froome have ridden away at that moment? Or was he just bluffing? I watched the race at Sporza, and Jose de Cauwer thought Froome was bluffing at that moment. Which probably is the case: it seemed like they were all riding at their maximum and with that bluff, Froome kind of brought some rest back.

What do you think?
I also think that was bluff. Froome seemed to be at his limit.

Yep, a show of strength to show Contador he was still there and to stop Alberto attacking.

I agree, it was a message 'my legs are good'. If it was a bluff it was a good one.

Re:

Le Blaireau_13 said:

What do you think?
Froome did the same thing last year with Quintana. It was on Plateau de Beille

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Le Blaireau_13 said:
buchanan said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Le Blaireau_13 said:

What do you think?
I don't think that Froome was at his limit or bluffing. I interpreted as if Froome wanted to give Contador a psychological blow by showing that he had no problems following or even accelerating further. But hey, it might have been a bluff, I just thought that he looked very comfortable.

So you think Froome could've ridden away? That's what I was afraid of, because I don't think Contador could have followed him at that point. Froome looked very comfortable indeed. For me, this moment was the most crucial moment of the whole week. Contador was at his limit, I think, the question is: was Froome at his limit? Both will reach a higher level at the Tour, but I wonder if Contador will be able to bridge the gap between him and Froome...

I doubt he will be able to bridge the difference. I don't see how. Froome will certainly be stronger come the Tour. He always is. Froome's only realistic challenger is Quintana. Those two have first and second sown up. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

buchanan said:
Le Blaireau_13 said:
buchanan said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Le Blaireau_13 said:

What do you think?

I doubt he will be able to bridge the difference. I don't see how. Froome will certainly be stronger come the Tour. He always is. Froome's only realistic challenger is Quintana. Those two have first and second sown up. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Some day people will learn, it's not over until it is over :).

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Romain Bardet: "Modern cycling bores me. Fortunately, there still are riders like Alberto Contador. He inspires me." (L'Equipe) #Dauphine

So much for the previous statements from some forum members that Contador is not well liked in among his peers.
I love to hear quotes like this. It confirms my belief that contrary to the haters imaginings, he is greatly appreciated among today's cycling professionals.

Bardet has shown steady improvement in his climbing and it was great to see him up there with Contador and Froome.

Strange Dauphine. Contador wins the ITT, but gets shelled out the back by an imperious Froome. How much better can AC get, as he said he was at the race to improve solely in light of the Tour? Yet he must get the feeling that he's coming up short against a rider who has simply surpassed him.

Frankly after the ITT, I was expecting something more along the lines of the first MTF in the 2014 Dauphine, where Froome attacked violently, but at least AC remained attached. Even though an the first uphill slog to the line, AC was noticeably lagging behind Froome, who finished 8th. The blossoming of form experienced by Froome post-ITT in this year's race, was an improvement not followed up by Contador after his victory.

I can't expect Contador will gain enough form to be a real threat at the Tour, but you never know. Quintana seems the only likely candidate to dethrown the champ, even if we don't know exactly the status of his condition. Nibali could, though, surprise (or at least he will either surprise or be non-factor).

Angliru said:
LaFlorecita said:
Romain Bardet: "Modern cycling bores me. Fortunately, there still are riders like Alberto Contador. He inspires me." (L'Equipe) #Dauphine

So much for the previous statements from some forum members that Contador is not well liked in among his peers.
I love to hear quotes like this. It confirms my belief that contrary to the haters imaginings, he is greatly appreciated in among today's cycling professionals.

Bardet has shown steady improvement in his climbing and it was great to see him up there with the Contador and Froome.
I think it was just Taxus who claimed he isn't well-liked. Everyone else knows he is respected and admired by a big part of the peloton.

I see a lot of people claiming Froome could have ridden away easily if he had wanted to. I don't know what race you watched, but at one point, Contador rode a few meters in front of Froome and Froome did not come even 1cm closer. It wasn't your typical "Froome reels someone in at his own pace" scene, for a few minutes they rode the exact same pace. Froome did not crack and Contador could not ride further away, but Froome could not catch Contador either. If I remember it right, Henao came back and went to the front but he struggled to close the gap as well. Unfortunately ASO does not allow full-stage videos on youtube, so I can't rewatch it, but this have been the moment Froome closed that final gap to Contador with an acceleration and went to the front to slow things down and bring some rest into the group. It seemed very much like a last-ditch attempt to me and I definitely don't think Froome could have gotten away, Contador was right on his wheel when he accelerated anyway.
I know many feel Froome is some sort of mythical being that never gets into trouble and can drop anyone whenever he wants to, but that is just not the case.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I see a lot of people claiming Froome could have ridden away easily if he had wanted to. I don't know what race you watched, but at one point, Contador rode a few meters in front of Froome and Froome did not come even 1cm closer. It wasn't your typical "Froome reels someone in at his own pace" scene, for a few minutes they rode the exact same pace. Froome did not crack and Contador could not ride further away, but Froome could not catch Contador either. If I remember it right, Henao came back and went to the front but he struggled to close the gap as well. Unfortunately ASO does not allow full-stage videos on youtube, so I can't rewatch it, but this have been the moment Froome closed that final gap to Contador with an acceleration and went to the front to slow things down and bring some rest into the group. It seemed very much like a last-ditch attempt to me and I definitely don't think Froome could have gotten away, Contador was right on his wheel when he accelerated anyway.
I know many feel Froome is some sort of mythical being that never gets into trouble and can drop anyone whenever he wants to, but that is just not the case.

Yes he had difficulty and it was Henao that brought him back to Alberto. But with Froome even when he is Dropped Hard one never knows what he still has to offer. It is impossible to know with that guy!

For 100 years guys have been using the counter dig to say 'I'm here, I have legs' to dissuade attackers. Was it a bluff? Anyone's guess is as good as mine because I have no read on what Froome has left at any given time.

Regardless between Froomes strength and Sky's Team, Alberto will need race nous, tactical acumen and to use his strength at the right time. He has been known to do that :) Some chaos from Astana and Movistar would go a long way also to upset the Sky plan. If Nibs and Aru have anything in their legs they will wreak havoc and Alberto can join in :). It's a shame Alberto doesn't have a team that can wreak havoc, he always has to do it alone :(.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm still thinking Contador and win the Tour. He seems pretty bullish that the Dauphine was a training ground to get his racing legs, he seems happy regardless of the result. My concern is the team, his team is utterly useless, they can't protect him, they can't cover attacks as they are not there. Sky are going to be monstrous...Landa. Thomas, Heneo etc. That's the tough part as Alberto really is going to need Giro '11 form

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:

Maybe it´s because this i love Contador and the stye he has. It´s not nothing agains other riders, because i like many, but i like his way of riding. It´s guys like contador that give cycling a high note. He insispire me too. To me in any game, i just loose when it´s over, until then, it´s not over...

About the tour, i agree that maybe just Quintana would be able to follow Froome first acelerations, but i still believe that if contador is at an high level, he can be cloose, and then do the plan B, and try other types of attacks. In the Tour, thanks god, Contador will have allies, other riders that think like him, and they will attack Froome. It´s very important that the teams that want the victory be prepared to fight, to try, because they can do it.

Tinkoff, Astana, Movistar can do it agains Sky and a little help of his friend...

Re:

ad9898 said:
I'm still thinking Contador and win the Tour. He seems pretty bullish that the Dauphine was a training ground to get his racing legs, he seems happy regardless of the result. My concern is the team, his team is utterly useless, they can't protect him, they can't cover attacks as they are not there. Sky are going to be monstrous...Landa. Thomas, Heneo etc. That's the tough part as Alberto really is going to need Giro '11 form
meh, the team seems pretty good.
Hansen, Kreuz, Kiser, did a good job in mountains in this Dauphinè. Same for Valgren in the flat, i saw him really good. We await Majka, and the Tour mountains squad looks complete and solid. All you need is another man more for the flat to help him and Sagan, probably Tosatto given that Bennati isn't ready

Matteo. said:
ad9898 said:
meh, the team seems pretty good.
Hansen, Kreuz, Kiser, did a good job in mountains in this Dauphinè. Same for Valgren in the flat, i saw him really good. We await Majka, and the Tour mountains squad looks complete and solid. All you need is another man more for the flat to help him and Sagan, probably Tosatto given that Bennati isn't ready

And there is no way that bunch will decimate Sky's train. It's a good team, but not in the same league with Sky. But Sky could falter, its been know to happen :).

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Thought that were you - Contador's fans.
You're spinning like a dime, Flo. It's a stressful week behind you, I understand.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:

No that would what you guys say about Bertie, if the gradient isn't too steep or it the gradient isn't too low, or if he feels like it's 2009 or 2014 all over again

Re:

LaFlorecita said:

www.cyclinghub.tv has the last 12.5 Km.

TRENDING THREADS