• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1493 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
I have no idea what a GC favourite is doing getting himself trapped in against a traffic island at 80km to go in the first stage of the tour. Very poor positioning.
And I have no idea what you're talking about.
Seems fairly obvious to me, I'm not sure I can explain it any clearer.
It seemed to me it was the crash that got him trapped against the traffic island. Are you saying he was stupid for crashing? Do you suppose he chose to go down there?

As for his positioning, are you aware that the peloton was really nervous because of possible echelons which meant GC contenders tried to be at the front?

He was trapped in and that caused him to crash. I'm not saying he is stupid or he chose to crash. I am saying he should never have been in the situation in the first place. And yes, I'm fully aware of how to ride a bike race, the fact it is the first stage was pointed out in my post.

I don't know whose fault it was, either his or his teams, but he is a GC favourite riding the first stage of the tour. Everyone knows it's nervous and he should have been either front and centre or at least in the middle of the road and either he or his team didn't do that. Some crashes are just bad luck, but the chance of crashing is much higher if you end up in the gutter or next to road furniture. Someone, either him, his team mates or his team car should have been making sure he kept himself away from the edge of the road.

KB, you're supposed to just say "lots to learn" :D

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Inquitus said:
Tonton said:
I disagree with you King Boonen: he was in the flow of riders, it's racing, it could have happened to anyone. No one to blame but Lady Luck...
Looks like it was all his own fault looking at the replay.

https://twitter.com/cyclingnieuws1/status/749285418013691904?s=09

I have to disagree, bookwalter, who is an experienced pro, has his front wheel overlapping, so as contador goes into the corner he gets his back wheel clipped, to no fault of his own, wouldn't have matter where he was in the pack. One of the first things you learn when riding in a pack is not to overlap wheels, so blame bookwalter, but this is race conditions and *** happens.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Blaming is not really important. The impact the crash had and the stage of tomorrow are. If we really want to blame someon, let's all blame me for not performing my anti-crash dance ahead of the stage, and be done with it

You better start your dance every dat from now on. a bit late, but better late then never!

the Inner Ring ‏@inrng
Loyalty: holding your teammate's insole in your mouth while he changes his shoe
CmXQpM-W8AAJhMt.jpg

:D

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Blaming is not really important. The impact the crash had and the stage of tomorrow are. If we really want to blame someon, let's all blame me for not performing my anti-crash dance ahead of the stage, and be done with it

If this dance really works, there are going to be a lot of rubles in your future

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
The crash was really stupid. As King Boonen said, he never should have been there. The team needs to wake-up! There is so much at stake! You have to be in the front! No excuses!!!

Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Some armchair analysts on Twitter are saying 100% of the blame is on him. Bah.

Contador said that... but he could be lying like when Karpets hit him and he said no.

Looking at the video, Contador dont lie this time, it was his blame:

Había mucha tensión porque luchábamos por estar delante para evitar el viento. Íbamos atentos pero en un bordillo he rectificado tarde y se me ha ido la rueda delantera hacia el lado. Hemos patinado y hemos tenido mala suerte, estoy fastidiado”.

But I hope the crash doesnt afect him. At least after the first rest day, it is a long way till that day, but the key stages are later. and previously just the usual inconveniences to slep and to mend the first 2 days. It was a good signal the quick he took his bike and the way he took the handlebar at a high speed.

It is anyway amazing how little afected is after a crak like this, although he was lucky to scrap more than hit...

I hope the same for Thomas, Bootwalker and the guys in the last Km crash, harder tan this one.

TRENDING THREADS