• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1592 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

filipepc said:
MIBURO, he´s going to destroy everyone? Tell me men... I want to believe...

Let´s hope he can do it...

About lagos, the main dificulty is in the begining... If he starts attacking... maybe, but if they let the km´s pass... and pass... trying to do what nowadays we watch more in cycling that is letting go... hoping for some rivals fade... then maybe it won´t make so much diferences...

He's 6 for 6 in the giro and the vuelta, there's nothing to worry about.

Contador wouldn't start the vuelta if he doesn't think he can win it, just believe in the man

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I trully believe he can win it.

That´s why i´m calma, but we both know that the next mountain will tell us the truth... If he can or not...

I want so much that he fight to do it...

Lagos de Covadonga is the kind of climb which can cause absolute carnage if it's ridden hard from the beginning because of its steep gradients early on. However it comes relatively early this year so I doubt it will be raced very hard. On the other hand everyone will fear that Contador will improve so they basically have to gain time now and especially if Contador really shows a weakness there will be carnage. Hard to say what will happen.
This will be the crucial day for Alberto. If he survives it without losing time, he is still a top favorite. If he loses time again he has two problems: 1.) He probably also won't be in top shape on the next few stages 2.) Gaining 2 or 3 minutes isn't easy, even if he would be the strongest in the last two weeks.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
He´s right.

La camperona is much more dificult than ezaro... It´s almost 4 km. at 20% it will be a madness. Or you are in top shape, or you have to do like froome and go and go... If a guy attacks there can fade away in the middle. It´s really brutal.

Gigs_98 said:
Lagos de Covadonga is the kind of climb which can cause absolute carnage if it's ridden hard from the beginning because of its steep gradients early on. However it comes relatively early this year so I doubt it will be raced very hard. On the other hand everyone will fear that Contador will improve so they basically have to gain time now and especially if Contador really shows a weakness there will be carnage. Hard to say what will happen.
This will be the crucial day for Alberto. If he survives it without losing time, he is still a top favorite. If he loses time again he has two problems: 1.) He probably also won't be in top shape on the next few stages 2.) Gaining 2 or 3 minutes isn't easy, even if he would be the strongest in the last two weeks.

1) Rest day the day after, so people will go all out. Covadonga has been relatively lame the previous years, I hope it will be better this year. If not, time for some other climbs.

2) Disagree. Contador isn't the favourite now and he won't be if he just goes even on Covadonga either. For him to be the favourite after Covadonga, he will have to show he is the strongest in the race at that point. As of now, he isn't the favourite, but a big outsider and will still be if he manages to go even.

Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:

1) Rest day the day after, so people will go all out. Covadonga has been relatively lame the previous years, I hope it will be better this year. If not, time for some other climbs.

2) Disagree. Contador isn't the favourite now and he won't be if he just goes even on Covadonga either. For him to be the favourite after Covadonga, he will have to show he is the strongest in the race at that point. As of now, he isn't the favourite, but a big outsider and will still be if he manages to go even.
I wrote a favorite, not the favorite, because others have equal or better chances. Anyway they all know their advantage on Contador might become smaller so they would be incredibly stupid if they don't try to gain time on him as long as they can

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:
............This will be the crucial day for Alberto. If he survives it without losing time, he is still a top favorite. If he loses time again he has two problems: 1.) He probably also won't be in top shape on the next few stages 2.) Gaining 2 or 3 minutes isn't easy, even if he would be the strongest in the last two weeks.
..........2) Disagree. Contador isn't the favourite now and he won't be if he just goes even on Covadonga either. For him to be the favourite after Covadonga, he will have to show he is the strongest in the race at that point. As of now, he isn't the favourite, but a big outsider and will still be if he manages to go even.
I wrote a favorite, not the favorite, because others have equal or better chances. Anyway they all know their advantage on Contador might become smaller so they would be incredibly stupid if they don't try to gain time on him as long as they can

GIGS: Actually you wrote "a TOP favorite." :)

Wish I could agree with you, as Contador is my personal favorite rider, in general, not for the Vuelta, but I fear he finally is showing he is washed up relative to the very best - I'm not talking about compared to Rolland or Pinot.

He faded badly at the 2015 Giro, his last GT win, although his team stunk, and the last time I saw great Contador was the 2014 Vuelta; that's 2 years ago.

My hope is that Alberto still is hurt from the TDF and/or was hurt and didn't have time to train up to killer form for the Vuelta, but I really believe he simply is washed up. It's been 2 YEARS, and it's been 15 months since his amazing Mortirolo dash, but even then, Landa demolished him at the end of that stage.

I hope differently, so do you, so do most here, but I don't see Alberto as having ANY chance of winning the Vuelta, which is sad considering Froome (TDF + Rio) and Quintana (TDF) are overraced, Kruiswijk doesn't look good, Valverde is massively overraced, and Simon Yates isn't fully baked yet. Were we still blessed with vintage Contador, or even 2014 Contador, Chaves would be his only obvious challenge.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

I'm just hoping he won't show up with 2013 TDF form. He sounded like he wasn't well prepared, which made me thinks his injury was severe than what we think of. I just hope it will be enough to topple Froome's TDF+Rio leg and Quintana's TDF leg. So far Kreusjwijck is out for good. Chavez has been looking good, but he will most likely fade on the 3rd week. Yates,.. hasn't been tested yet. So ... so far, Froome and Quintana stand to have greater chance to win Vuelta with 1.20 advantage from Contador. Contador hasn't shown anything remotely indicating that he has a great form. In the back of my head, I'm really concern that his best form might look like 2013 TDF. That would a depressing scene to see Froome and Quintana toys w/ Contador.

Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:

No, you wrote a top favourite. Thats just semantics, tho. ;)

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
filipepc said:
He´s right.

La camperona is much more dificult than ezaro... It´s almost 4 km. at 20% it will be a madness. Or you are in top shape, or you have to do like froome and go and go... If a guy attacks there can fade away in the middle. It´s really brutal.

The truth is Camperona is 2.6km at 14.6 %. And Ezaro is 1.8km at 14.6%.
The hardest middle km of Camperona is 17.7%. And the first hardest km of Ezaro is 16.7%.
Camperona reaches 20% only slightly and for a short distance. Ezaro has 500m at 21.8%.
They are not that different from each other.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
portugal11 said:
I think the stage before lagos de covadonga is more crucial than lagos and contador could loose more than a minute if he is in bad shape.
Do you mean stage 8, the "flat" stage with the incredibly steep climb at the end? Stage 9 has a relatively easy mtf and stage 10 finishes at the Lagos de Covadonga.
Yes, thank you

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:

Who is the favourite for you?

Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:

No, you wrote a top favourite. Thats just semantics, tho. ;)
Can there only be one top favorite? In german I can say "Contador ist einer der Top Favoriten" which means Contador is one of the "top" favorites. Maybe the word top simply works differently in the two languages. Anyway, I definitely meant he is one of the favorites. :)

Why was contador allegedly supposed to reach his peak condition in week 3 of the tour 2015 as it was planned whilst froome / nairito will very likely fade in the 3rd week of the vuelta. seems weiiird.

chaves is a top favorite. he's followed by quintana, froome and contador.

Re:

dacooley said:
Why was contador allegedly supposed to reach his peak condition in week 3 of the tour 2015 as it was planned whilst froome / nairito will very likely fade in the 3rd week of the vuelta. seems weiiird.

Contador didn't peak for the Giro 2015 - Froome and Quintana peaked for the Tour this year. Difference between reaching peak form and maintaining it. Though, in regards to Contador, I guess it was unlikely to happen anyways

Re:

dacooley said:

I'd guess that it has something to do with (allegedly) entering the first GT a little bit undercooked, so as to be able to contend in the next one, whereas Quintana and Froome first and foremost prepared themselves optimally for the first GT.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Ataraxus said:
filipepc said:
He´s right.

The truth is Camperona is 2.6km at 14.6 %. And Ezaro is 1.8km at 14.6%.
The hardest middle km of Camperona is 17.7%. And the first hardest km of Ezaro is 16.7%.
Camperona reaches 20% only slightly and for a short distance. Ezaro has 500m at 21.8%.
They are not that different from each other.

I was watching the graphics and it looks much more dificult. In this climbs so steep, 1 more km. can represent plus 50% or more of the difivulty.

if you look yere, you,lle see that is more than that in terms of dificulty :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31120

I think it will be much more dificult, and that is a problem... Let´s see what he can do, but i don´t know if he can handle with this soo steep for so much time. Froome is very strong in this types of uphills, he looks always defeated in the beginning and then he goes and goes...

mirador_de_ezaro.png

vuelta-2016-doble-racion-leonesa-la-camperona-y-cistierna-001.jpg

Ezaro has a gain of 265m.
Camperona has a gain of 397m (the steep last 2.8km).

They have roughly the same average gradient, but Camperona has the steepest single km, while Ezaro has the highest maximum gradient.

Re: Re:

infeXio said:
dacooley said:

Contador didn't peak for the Giro 2015 - Froome and Quintana peaked for the Tour this year. Difference between reaching peak form and maintaining it. Though, in regards to Contador, I guess it was unlikely to happen anyways

Yes, theoritically it is, but the race doesnot ask you if you peak for it or not and excausts you very much. it's uncontrollable process.

TRENDING THREADS