• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1590 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My view is not to end when on top. As long as there's a chance to win big races, maybe even another GT, there is still reason to continue. Losing some battles in the end of your career is in no way a stain on your legacy.

Look at Ole Einar Björndalen. Could have retired many many years ago, and was since about 2009 not as great as earlier. He would win gold medals but only through being part of a dominant Norwegian relay team. In 2014 however he won another individual gold medal in Sochi, an insane feat. In the World Championships this year in Oslo he racked up two silver medals and a bronze. Not as good as he once was, but still good enough to win races. Now he's continuing until the 2018 Olympics, and will compete at the tender age of 44.... (not really revelant that he's not the most likable guy ever, he is undoubtedly the GOAT)

Re:

jilbiker said:
I still say he should have retired 2 yrs ago regardless of his 2015 Giro win
Did you say that back in 2014 as well? It's very easy to say in hindsight :rolleyes:
He wants to keep racing. As long as enjoys competing, as long as he feels whatever he gets out of cycling weighs up against the hard training and the sacrifices he has to make, who are we to say he should retire? It is truly disrespectful to tell the man not just that he should retire but that he should have retired 2 years ago, only because he is not as good as he used to be. He's still one of the best in the world and he can still get results many other riders can only dream of. Maybe we should adjust our expectations.

I'm not a doomsayer usually, but I don't think he will improve that much this Vuelta. Contador normally starts and ends a GT in good form or if he's not sharp and in form at the start he usually doesn't improve to his best level.

I'm afraid he's not ready for this Vuelta.

Kwibus said:
I'm not a doomsayer usually, but I don't think he will improve that much this Vuelta. Contador normally starts and ends a GT in good form or if he's not sharp and in form at the start he usually doesn't improve to his best level.

I'm also not overly optimistic this time but tbf one gt where he really improved was the Vuelta 2014 and his situation now is very similar to that race.

In 2014 the first MTF didn't come until stage 6. And he just happened to not blow up. On the other hand, he dropped out the Tour in peak condition that year, whereas this year I think that is really doubtful. I think his condition really took a turn for the worse after riding on for a week after his crashes. He may have to come from further than in 2014.

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Kwibus said:

I'm also not overly optimistic this time but tbf one gt where he really improved was the Vuelta 2014 and his situation now is very similar to that race.

Well he was at the same time with Valverde, Purito and Froome at the first uphill test in 2014 in front of all the other riders in the bunch. And 15 secs in front of Froome at the last Mountain stage, hanging at froomes wheel the entire climb to outsprint him 500m to go. Only Purito and Valverde faded in the 3rd week because of the TDF in their legs.

This time he lost 30secs at the first uphill test and finished with guys like Latour, Brambilla, Molard and de Clerq - behind guys like Anton!! 2 Weeks ago he was at the same climbing level as Pardilla and Ben Hermans.

To win this Vuelta he needs to find 30 watts in the next 2-3 days. But how?

TRENDING THREADS