• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1726 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

rune1107 said:
Iker_Baqueiro said:
LaFlorecita said:
All those 2nd places :( he's so unlucky, things never go his way :(
At the top of Eze I really believed he could do it
And again he would have won if he'd managed to win the stage. With 1.5km to go it looked good.
In the interview he was close to tears :(

yep. I watched that interview and I also think I saw him very close to tears. Tears of frustration. He tried to fool us into not seeing that by saying the right words. I'm so sad for him too.

He's very close to burning out. I'd say he has to take his pedal off the gas, at least until July, to avoid mental/physical breakdown.

What is this based on? It's only his second race of the season, in which he is the captain, and he is already breaking down mentally? Of course he was disappointed today, and rightfully so after being so close to winning both the stage and the GC. It is completely natural to be emotional after such a performance, but without the payout. This however is not an indication of breaking down mentally. He probably has the strongest mindset in the entire peloton, and will have his entire focus on Catalunya by tomorrow. That is what makes him special, and still capable of pulling off a stunt like todays, at the age of 34.

It's been several years now that Contador has gotten close second places. For Contador, second places don't count. Those are disappointments.

In cycling, like in life, the two factors need for burnout are: Overwork and disappointment.

Those close second places have required a lot of overwork for Contador. Granted, that sometimes has been caused because of losing time in silly situations like falls, echelons, etc. Like he admitted today, the easiest would have been to follow wheels, rest, think about the next races, knowing he had the third place in the bag. But, no, he gave it his 150% for the glory of winning. Now, that is great for us as spectators, but, that is a lot of overwork coupled with the disappointment of being second yet again.

You're right, Contador has the greatest courage of them all. However, given the last few years, I think he need to be more conservative. Given his age, he needs to let go of these "smaller" races and accept losing as a precondition for a chance at winning the best race of them all, the TDF.

He has given us a lot of spectacle over many years. He needs to be more selfish and keep something extra in the tank for his grand finale: Winning the TDF one last time. I 'd like to see him go with yellow at the end in Paris.

Re:

yaco said:
Contador was philosophical in the interview and hardly close to tears.
Mate I've watched dozens of interviews with Berto and I have a collection of like 5000 photos. I know his expressions and emotions better than he knows them himself, probably :p Here I see a very very disappointed Berto trying to look and sound like he doesn't care that much, but he's obviously struggling with his emotions. No he's not on the verge of tears but he does look really disappointed. :p
https://twitter.com/francetvsport/status/840957527332421633

Iker_Baqueiro said:
rune1107 said:
Iker_Baqueiro said:
LaFlorecita said:
All those 2nd places :( he's so unlucky, things never go his way :(
At the top of Eze I really believed he could do it
And again he would have won if he'd managed to win the stage. With 1.5km to go it looked good.
In the interview he was close to tears :(

yep. I watched that interview and I also think I saw him very close to tears. Tears of frustration. He tried to fool us into not seeing that by saying the right words. I'm so sad for him too.

He's very close to burning out. I'd say he has to take his pedal off the gas, at least until July, to avoid mental/physical breakdown.

What is this based on? It's only his second race of the season, in which he is the captain, and he is already breaking down mentally? Of course he was disappointed today, and rightfully so after being so close to winning both the stage and the GC. It is completely natural to be emotional after such a performance, but without the payout. This however is not an indication of breaking down mentally. He probably has the strongest mindset in the entire peloton, and will have his entire focus on Catalunya by tomorrow. That is what makes him special, and still capable of pulling off a stunt like todays, at the age of 34.

It's been several years now that Contador has gotten close second places. For Contador, second places don't count. Those are disappointments.

In cycling, like in life, the two factors need for burnout are: Overwork and disappointment.

Those close second places have required a lot of overwork for Contador. Granted, that sometimes has been caused because of losing time in silly situations like falls, echelons, etc. Like he admitted today, the easiest would have been to follow wheels, rest, think about the next races, knowing he had the third place in the bag. But, no, he gave it his 150% for the glory of winning. Now, that is great for us as spectators, but, that is a lot of overwork coupled with the disappointment of being second yet again.

You're right, Contador has the greatest courage of them all. However, given the last few years, I think he need to be more conservative. Given his age, he needs to let go of these "smaller" races and accept losing as a precondition for a chance at winning the best race of them all, the TDF.

He has given us a lot of spectacle over many years. He needs to be more selfish and keep something extra in the tank for his grand finale: Winning the TDF one last time. I 'd like to see him go with yellow at the end in Paris.

Nah, that would be trying to change who he is. He rides true to himself and that is all we can ask of him and what he asks of himself. He may be disappointed but he knows he did Everything he Could and therefore has no regrets. It is the attitude of a champion.

Watching the highlights it looked like flashes of his escape in the 2014 Tirreno, when he droped Quintana, caught the break, then won the stage. Of course the circumstances were completely different, the finish too (both in terrain and result), however, it's possible that his form could return to that level, which is promissing.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Berto was stratospheric on Peille today, says jens attacks. 7 W/kg for around 15 mins.
So that confirms his 15 minute effort is still top notch :)
IIRC, he did 16 minutes last year

Contador may have not declined on his peak days that much yet. Day to day variation though.

Col d'Eze time not even that slow, only 20s compared to last year, when he had a lot more help and didn't pulled a lot less in the breakaway

Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
Berto was stratospheric on Peille today, says jens attacks. 7 W/kg for around 15 mins.
So that confirms his 15 minute effort is still top notch :)
IIRC, he did 16 minutes last year :eek:

Contador may have not declined on his peak days that much yet. Day to day variation though.
Let's wait and see the times he puts on his website. I expect him to be slightly slower than last year on Eze.

Cote de Peille
2017:6,6 km@7,0%---15:42---average speed 25.22 km/h(Alberto Contador)
---16:12---average speed 24.44 km/h(Sergio Henao)
2016:6,6 km@7,0%---16:00---average speed 24.75 km/h(Alberto Contador)-Strava
---17:00---average speed 23.29 km/h(30 riders peloton)-Strava

Col d'Eze
2017:9,6 km@4,7%---19:47---average speed 29.12 km/h(Marc Soler)
---19:55---average speed 28.92 km/h(Contador-De la Cruz)
---20:05---average speed 28.80 km/h(Henao-15 riders group)
2016:9,6 km@4,7%---19:32---average speed 29.49 km/h(Contador-Porte)

Even in defeat, Alberto is still the greatest :) What a display of heart he showed today - hats off to him & truly happy that Alberto has finally found a worthy ally in the name of Pantano, whom is selflessly giving everything for him.

I'm really pleased with his performance despite the final result. :) BTW - what's is next race for Alberto?

hfer07 said:
Even in defeat, Alberto is still the greatest :) What a display of heart he showed today - hats off to him & truly happy that Alberto has finally found a worthy ally in the name of Pantano, whom is selflessly giving everything for him.

I'm really pleased with his performance despite the final result. :) BTW - what's is next race for Alberto?
Catalunya and then Pais Vasco.

LaFlorecita said:
hfer07 said:

Catalunya and then Pais Vasco.

Thanks Flor :)

Contador at his usual level after his sanction, good , but not the best. Of course very good attitude, that is the way cycling must be.. he has an impressive point of view to read a race, and an impressive attack for 2 Km that allow him to drop people...but in a long battle as today he can make damage to people as Henao or Porte, bur not people as Quitana or Froome at his best. Quintana is going to race Giro and Tour, he is not peaking, Contador is peaking and both are at the same level, or maybe Quintana is better. .Too years ago in the same situaton Contador beated Quintana in Tirreno, but it was as well Quintana not peaking, and now Quintana is stronger.

But Contador act as a champion and he makes races much more interestings, so I love that.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Jspear said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
I could be wrong, but it seems like the evidence suggests he's as good as last year. How does he stack up compared to 2014?

I don't know how the numbers stack up, but I don't think he's in that type of form. He was a monster in 2014.

Not as good as 2014 but possibly better than 2016 and 2015, I think...

TRENDING THREADS