• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1897 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

contador_attacks said:
Leinster said:
contador_attacks said:
The crashes are killing him in the Tour... It's unbelieavable.
There's something else other than the crashes though.

In Paris-Nice this year, Dan Martin couldn't follow Contador's attack on the final 2 stages. He tried to bridge across and couldn't hold on. Fast forward to July, and Martin with 2 broken vertebrae was able to sit in the GC group at whatever pace Kwiatkowski or Landa could throw down, with enough in reserve to sprint away for a few extra seconds at the finish. But Contador after his couple of crashes couldn't keep up on most of the big stages.

Of the 2, clearly somebody did something right in the months between March and June, and somebody got something wrong.

The preperation wasn't perfect, it's a fact, but the crashes are clearly destroying him...

Contador:
"My Tour de France prep is going perfectly at Dauphine"
"I'm happy ahead of the Tour de France. Not many guys win the Dauphine and then win the Tour, but the condition is good. For me, it was better to go behind the leaders and in my own tempo so that I can go better at the Tour de France."

"I preferred to take my own tempo and decided to save my legs. The most important thing is that I've finished this race really fresh. In the last few years, I've finished tired, empty. I think that I can now recover well in the next three days and then start my preparation again. I know that I need to work on my intensity, but at the moment it's perfect. It's not about the GC here."

I rest my case.

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

silvergrenade said:
contador_attacks said:
Leinster said:
contador_attacks said:
The crashes are killing him in the Tour... It's unbelieavable.
There's something else other than the crashes though.

In Paris-Nice this year, Dan Martin couldn't follow Contador's attack on the final 2 stages. He tried to bridge across and couldn't hold on. Fast forward to July, and Martin with 2 broken vertebrae was able to sit in the GC group at whatever pace Kwiatkowski or Landa could throw down, with enough in reserve to sprint away for a few extra seconds at the finish. But Contador after his couple of crashes couldn't keep up on most of the big stages.

Of the 2, clearly somebody did something right in the months between March and June, and somebody got something wrong.

The preperation wasn't perfect, it's a fact, but the crashes are clearly destroying him...

Contador:
"My Tour de France prep is going perfectly at Dauphine"
"I'm happy ahead of the Tour de France. Not many guys win the Dauphine and then win the Tour, but the condition is good. For me, it was better to go behind the leaders and in my own tempo so that I can go better at the Tour de France."

"I preferred to take my own tempo and decided to save my legs. The most important thing is that I've finished this race really fresh. In the last few years, I've finished tired, empty. I think that I can now recover well in the next three days and then start my preparation again. I know that I need to work on my intensity, but at the moment it's perfect. It's not about the GC here."

I rest my case.

In his view the preperation was perfect. However, I disagree. It's a sum of situations - the crashes, etc... and in the end, he didn't have the legs do what he had to do.

Great rider, will be a big miss in the peloton, but i understand his choice, he can't compete with the best of the best anymore, so go out while still preforming at a good level. Chaupeau Contador, true champion and racer, even if the last 2 seasons werent fantastic.

Sounds like there are some divisions between Contador and Trek, which is a shame but I guess understandable repurcussions after the disastrous Tour. Neither willing to budge in their aims and salary demands for the following season.

Great chance for finishing on a high at the Vuelta though. For me, he goes in as joint second favourite with Nibali behind Froome; and I don't trust Nibali's form at all, so he could still end with a stage win and a podium.