• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1938 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
LaFlorecita said:
Presentation for 2018 Giro will be in Israel?! Berto says he will be there.
Why would he show up to this if he's retired?
$$$$$$

The idea of the Giro starting in Israel isn't universally popular I suppose, so the more marquee names they can get to lend credibility to the idea the better. And Contador, as a recent former winner, will lend a respectability that few current riders can do I guess. Or maybe he just wants to check out Israel after seeing the Tel Aviv-Jerusalem adverts that pepper Eurosport.

DFA123 said:
Irondan said:
LaFlorecita said:
Why would he show up to this if he's retired?
$$$$$$

The idea of the Giro starting in Israel isn't universally popular I suppose, so the more marquee names they can get to lend credibility to the idea the better. And Contador, as a recent former winner, will lend a respectability that few current riders can do I guess. Or maybe he just wants to check out Israel after seeing the Tel Aviv-Jerusalem adverts that pepper Eurosport.
He has already been to Israel, 2011 Saxo-Sungard team building camp. :)

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I can see it
Alberto Contador Velasco for UCI president 2025
Mandatory MTT in each GT, 5 men GT teams and 15m budget caps. After each stage 3-2-1 minute time bonus for "style and bravery" will be awarded by an independent jury.

I would say 2020 but he needs to be RFEC president first.
Inflation tells me the budgets will be slightly bigger than 15 million.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
will he be able to avoid froome the win of la vuelta , i think that alberto don't give a **** about froome but in his mind i think he wants to avoid the froome win 2 consecutive gt alberto was not able to win

May 13, 2015
Visit site
LOST FROM ALBERTO CONTADOR WITHOUT CONSIDERING stage ANDORRA and TTT

*** Lost with Froome in ANDORRA + TTT = 2.33 + 26 "= 2.59"
Current rating .... to 3.59 "(without considering bonus) .... lost: 1 minute

*** Lost with NIBALI (Andorra + TTT) = 2.37 "
Current rating .... Alberto is located at 2.58 "...... lost 21"

*** Lost with KELDERMAN (Andorra + TTT) = 2.33 + 29 "= 3.02"
Current rating ..... Alberto is at 1.51 "....... - 1.11"

“I don’t attack just to make the public happy,” Contador said. “I do it because that’s the way I race. It’s based on my form at the moment, on the conditions of the race. Maybe the smart thing to do is ride more conservatively, and to try to finish fourth or fifth or third or eighth, and limit the losses. But that way of racing is not for me.”

“I’m proud to hear the fans yell out, ‘Gracias, Alberto!’ I hear it over and over again, and that can only mean that they’ve enjoyed watching the racing,” Contador said. “I couldn’t have chosen a better place to retire. On these climbs, when your legs are really hurting, you see a sign and hear the shouts, and it’s like a present for me.”

Contador has only known one way to race. He’s not going to change now.

Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/09/vuelta-a-espana/contador-doesnt-regret-final-vuelta-hail-mary_447317#MWWtwZ36SK4s372k.99

Death or Glory, Lionhearted; the only way the man wants to do to!

Carols said:
portugal11 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Can't wait to see contador with a little belly and enjoying his days as a former cyclist.

I want to see the wife with the belly and a new champion on the way!

Lol yes. Sons of great riders don't really come to be as great as their fathers in cycling (from the few examples I have in mind.) It would be nice to see a new Contador tearing it up in 20 some years.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I can see it
Alberto Contador Velasco for UCI president 2025
Mandatory MTT in each GT, 5 men GT teams and 15m budget caps. After each stage 3-2-1 minute time bonus for "style and bravery" will be awarded by an independent jury.

I would say 2020 but he needs to be RFEC president first.

No more potenciómetros, a special jersey for most minutes out of the saddle, mandatory u23 squad for each WT and ProConti team, and I would also like the idea to rotate the Giro, Tour and Vuelta. Why always race them in the same order? TDF could perfectly be held in august after the Giro, which mid-summer would have more opportunities for great stages without the bad weather crying, while the Vuelta in may would be a little bit more human perhaps without the extreme heat.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

Jspear said:
Carols said:
portugal11 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Can't wait to see contador with a little belly and enjoying his days as a former cyclist.

I want to see the wife with the belly and a new champion on the way!

Lol yes. Sons of great riders don't really come to be as great as their fathers in cycling (from the few examples I have in mind.) It would be nice to see a new Contador tearing it up in 20 some years.

I heard some time ago that the endurance strength is usually coming from the mother :)

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Puccini said:
LOST FROM ALBERTO CONTADOR WITHOUT CONSIDERING stage ANDORRA and TTT
\
*** Lost with Froome in ANDORRA + TTT = 2.33 + 26 "= 2.59"
Current rating .... to 3.59 "(without considering bonus) .... lost: 1 minute

*** Lost with NIBALI (Andorra + TTT) = 2.37 "
Current rating .... Alberto is located at 2.58 "...... lost 21"

*** Lost with KELDERMAN (Andorra + TTT) = 2.33 + 29 "= 3.02"
Current rating ..... Alberto is at 1.51 "....... - 1.11"

You cannot draw generalistic results simply by removing one component.
If AC hadn't lost time in Andorra, the race would have unfolded differently.
They wouldn't have let him go in Antequera for instance.

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
Salary cap won't help. Sky will use other incentives . Houses ,cars investments . Froomes word imply it won't be a free market but it's not now . Sky have to much money and influence over lots of aspects of cycling not just paying big wages. Landa for instance does not strike me as a rider that fits into the Sky way yet how can you turn down the kind of money that sets you up for life. There is no real answer if more big sponsors come in then we go the way of football and huge gaps will appear . Once Sky became involved cycling has become a money bore tour watch. No going back I'm afraid.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Chronique - Cyrille Guimard

Contador est devenu plus populaire grâce à cette posture de "perdant magnifique" ?

J'irai même plus loin que ça. Je connais des personnages qui étaient respectés pour leur palmarès, leurs exploits en course, qui n'étaient pas populaires mais qui le sont devenus le jour où ils ont perdu. Ca a été le cas de Laurent Fignon, de Jacques Anquetil à la fin de sa carrière. Si vous prenez Merckx, il n'a jamais été populaire en France alors que Luis Ocaña l'était. Pourtant il y en a un qui a gagné 5 Tours de France, l'autre un seul. Qu'est-ce qui fait qu'on est populaire ou qu'on ne l'est pas, c'est l'émotion. Contador fait passer d''émotion. Merckx ne faisait pas passer de l'émotion. Et Froome ne fait pas passer d'émotion. C'est quelque chose qui part du fond des tripes, pas dans son discours devant un micro. Après Froome a son palmarès, plein de choses que l'on peut respecter, on peut même admirer le coureur comme c'était le cas pour Anquetil, mais on l'aimait moins que Poulidor parce qu'il faisait passer moins d'émotion. L'un on l'aimait, l'autre on le détestait. C'est l'histoire de la vie.

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-chronique-cyrille-guimard-froome-et-la-sky-inattaquable-guimard-lv2017-froome-contador-stade2-rmc-69733.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

TRENDING THREADS